Author Topic: Process priority  (Read 8779 times)

2014-04-01, 13:28:22

CeBeP

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Doesnt matter what is 3dsmax's process priority, with corona's rendering its act like "High".
Yes, i know that there is "Low-thread priority" parameter in Devel/debug, but its not working too. I used to do some modeling while vray was doing its job, but its impossible with corona. The only way is to turn off 1 or 2 coporocessors for rendering.
Am i alone with this problem?
PS. Win8, I7, 32 Gb Ram (so its not about RAM)
PPS. Sorry for bad english.

2014-04-01, 17:23:42
Reply #1

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
I haven't had any major trouble/slowdown working in any other applications (CAD 2D/3D, SU, Photoshop, etc) while Corona goes at it. Just to compare, my computer would lag and come to a near stand still while rendering with mr.

As for specs, I'm using:

Dual Xeon E5-2630 @2.3 GHz
16 GB ram

2014-04-01, 17:35:49
Reply #2

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com

2014-04-19, 18:22:56
Reply #3

CeBeP

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No answer?
steyin, try to use 3dsmax for modeling or something else while render is on.

2014-04-22, 21:44:01
Reply #4

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Just run entire 3ds Max at low priority, and you are good to go. There's either startup command to run any process at low priority via shortcut. That's easily google-able. Or there is a maxscript, which you put into your scripts/startup directory, and it will launch 3ds Max with low priority each time. I will try to dig the script out from somewhere, and post it here....

2014-04-24, 05:04:58
Reply #5

CeBeP

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Rawalanche, this is exactly what i'm saying: it doesnt work. Even with lowpriority of 3dsmax its impossible to work while render is going.

2014-04-24, 08:46:12
Reply #6

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Rawalanche, this is exactly what i'm saying: it doesnt work. Even with lowpriority of 3dsmax its impossible to work while render is going.

Then i am afraid the problem is related to your software/hardware configuration rather than Max or Corona. Because i have no problems working when Corona is rendering in background. And most of the Corona users i know do not have such problems either.

2014-04-24, 09:47:39
Reply #7

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
if setting priority does not help, my best guess is you ran out of memory
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-04-24, 15:15:53
Reply #8

CeBeP

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Keymaster, its hard to run out of 32 Gb, never used more than 20.
Rawalanche, i have the same problem on second computer, there is Win7 instead of Win8 on main. Everything else works fine, but not second 3dmax.

2014-04-25, 10:04:29
Reply #9

Nupsi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Same problem here! Even if only 5 gigs of 64 are used by max/corona. Win7 reacts very nice, compared to MR, but every now and then Win7 hangs completely, even the mouse cursor freezes for a few seconds (~10) before I can continue to work. Setting max to low priority doesn´t change a thing, which always does while using MR.

2014-04-25, 10:59:28
Reply #10

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Well...  you are not supposed to use another 3ds Max when rendering.... And if you for some reason really need to, then lowering priority will not always help you. Just use set Affinity function and remove a core or two from 3dsmax.exe which is rendering.

2014-04-25, 11:00:20
Reply #11

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Win 7, max 2014 sp3, no problems at all. I did short recording  to show that i could perfectly fine do modeling in second instance of max, should i want to.

feature=youtu.be

Edit: damn, why is embedding not working yet.

I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2014-04-25, 17:44:53
Reply #12

CeBeP

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well...  you are not supposed to use another 3ds Max when rendering.... And if you for some reason really need to, then lowering priority will not always help you. Just use set Affinity function and remove a core or two from 3dsmax.exe which is rendering.
That's the point, i was supposed to use 3ds max while Vray, mental or Final render were working.