Author Topic: The glass project  (Read 7287 times)

2013-11-26, 12:39:09

marioteodoru

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello,
i intend to use this tread to learn trough a project.
I need to understand the following:

1. Geometry.
How does one models the liquid in the glass liquid scenario? I know i have to separate the liquid from the glass, and i have them both enclosed, normals facing outward, with a small 1 um gap between the top surfaces. Is this how to do it?

2. Is absorption working correctly ?

3. What are the correct rendering setting to be used for this scenario?

4. What are the correct rendering setting to be used for this scenario in order to have caustics?

i attached 3 renderings. the floor is the same glass as the other glass objects, and there's a background in the back with a hdr emission. Maybe s just me, but i don's think i see any caustics there. I'm rendering right now with PT+PT, but still, no caustics.

2013-11-26, 13:17:15
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
hi,
#1: model it with small overlap between the water and glass. Normals orientation does not matter.
#2: it should for your configuration
#3 + #4: Either use PT+PT and increase the maximal ray intensity parameter to get closer to the unbiased solution, or switch to renderer: Bidir/VCM to go unbiased, although that might take more time and some features might not work
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-11-26, 14:47:31
Reply #2

marioteodoru

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello Keymaster,
i am the gatekeeper!

Sorry, couldn't help it :)

One issue i have is that, there seems to be multiple names for the same parameter.
Please tell me if maximal ray intensity is the one i have marked in the attachement. If yes, i had these parameter at 0 in my renderings.

2013-11-26, 14:53:37
Reply #3

CeBeP

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Its test i did some time ago to answer for that questions (about geometry)
Left - water and glass are no crossing, center - crossing (0,1 mm), right - crossing (0,3 mm) and top poligon of water is chamfered (0,25mm)

2013-11-26, 14:57:30
Reply #4

marioteodoru

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello CeBeP,

thank you for your test.
As i can see, front view looks ok with 2 and 3, but perspective view, option 1 is the correct solution.
So what gives ?

2013-11-26, 15:59:49
Reply #5

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
One issue i have is that, there seems to be multiple names for the same parameter.
Please tell me if maximal ray intensity is the one i have marked in the attachement. If yes, i had these parameter at 0 in my renderings.

yes, I've meant maximum sample intensity. I dont know why I did that mistake, ahem ahem :D
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-11-26, 16:21:47
Reply #6

marioteodoru

• Active Users
    • View Profile
:)
so, that i can fix this in my head, 0  maximum sample intensity means unbiased? so maximum so to speak right? So if i use 0 i should get causics?

Thank you for your help :)

2013-11-26, 17:00:52
Reply #7

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
yes, PT+PT with MSI 0 is unbiased

2013-11-26, 22:14:20
Reply #8

marioteodoru

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you for your response.

Another question please. I promise, is the last one for today :D

I've read somewhere in the forum that u can get caustics only if you use hdri.
My questions is, if i take a plane, and apply a corona material with emission on, and a hdri mapped on the emission slot, is that light gonna be a hdri light?

2013-11-26, 22:30:23
Reply #9

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Thank you for your response.

Another question please. I promise, is the last one for today :D

I've read somewhere in the forum that u can get caustics only if you use hdri.
My questions is, if i take a plane, and apply a corona material with emission on, and a hdri mapped on the emission slot, is that light gonna be a hdri light?

I have no idea where you have read that, but it is not true :)

In corona, pretty much any light source casts caustics as long as you either have set MSI at 0, or use Bidir or VCM renderer :) Bidir and VCM are not production ready though, as they do not support all the features that progressive renderer does :)

2013-11-26, 23:05:47
Reply #10

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Corona has... i really need to create some catchy name for it... what about unified lights? I mean, every physically correct light in the scene, be it environment map, enviro HDRI, sun, geometry light, CoronaLight object, ... is handled exactly the same way. There are no differences between them in the results or sampling methods.

2013-11-27, 13:00:30
Reply #11

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Maybe TrueGI (R) (TM) or REALIGHT (C) ?

But seriously, maybe something like uniform light processing? Equal light handling? :D
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us