Author Topic: Nut-o-grammetry  (Read 32762 times)

2017-01-17, 23:40:58

LuckyFox

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Scans
I've been tackling photogrammetry for 2 years now, here and there between regular projects. Had a lot of failures and gave up on this many times. Last year Bertrand Benoit posted in October his guide on photogrammetry, also during SOA Day#7 Radoslav Ignaciuk shared his workflow on photogrammetry. All this information was put to good use and the results are talking for themselves. Thank you Bertrand and Radoslav for sharing your insights.
All proudly rendered with Corona.
be.net/ZB-Vision

« Last Edit: 2024-03-04, 00:04:04 by LuckyFox »

2017-01-18, 00:24:43
Reply #1

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Nice nuts.

2017-01-18, 16:22:15
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
So after 2 years of research, you basically scanned your nuts?

Just kidding obviously. ;) The results are amazing - great example of how not giving up is important in the process or producing something awesome. I wonder whether you are sharing or selling your models somewhere? Or maybe you are willing to share some parts of your photogrammetry workflow?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-01-18, 17:22:32
Reply #3

Edvinas

• Active Users
  • CGI artist with architectural background
    • View Profile
    • Bloorise
Hi, LuckyFox.

Very pleasant result. I remember Radoslav showing that magical stuff with auto texture unwrap in SOA7. Do you involve it in your workflow? Just wanted to ask name of that software. Need to install for freetime tests :)

--
Edvinas
® Bloorise
Behance: https://behance.com/bloorise

2017-01-18, 20:47:35
Reply #4

LuckyFox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Scans
So after 2 years...
You will laugh, but some 4-5 years ago I bought 5 very nice looking walnuts with the idea to push me to learn more of Zbrush and model them. Years passed by but yes! I finally scanned my nuts! :D  The models were created for sale. They are on Envato's 3Docean.
the workflow I am using is pretty much based on Bertrand's guide:
http://bertrand-benoit.com/blog/the-poor-mans-guide-to-photogrammetry/
I have a 3 light mini studio setup for the photography process. Nikon D90 kit lens 18-105. I shoot raw, process in Lightroom, end up with 2 sets of tiffs for Photoscan - one very contrasty for the build up process and one very flat and non constrasty for the albedo/diffuse texture generation. Export from Photoscan(obj). Zremesh, UVs in Zbrush, project details from high to low poly model, bake displacement, normal, ao. Import retopo/unwrapped high detail model back to the saved photoscan project, generate diffuse keeping the uv mapping generated in Zbrush. Create specular map in Photoshop from diffuse+displacement maps. Import meshes(low and high detail) to 3ds max, scale them to the right size.
Some personal experience comments: I tried solutions from autodesk, both free ones and paid - didn't come to good result in terms of geometry details. Not best results with RealityCapture and crashes. Photoscan is non consistent, I can have 4 fails to align photos and 5th attempt it just aligns them - the main reason I was giving up before until I found I just have to keep trying or align in chunks. Photoscan needs lots of ram, I have a 64gb workstation and some dense point clouds just won't calculate with very high detail setting because not enough ram.

3D architect the software is UVlayout, I didn't have such models yet that require advanced uv work, Zbrush just handles well the meshes I gave it till now.

2017-01-19, 11:56:46
Reply #5

pixelab

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • pixelab
Great results !! I'm amazed by the level of detail you manage to extract. I'm exploring photogrammerty myself and I'm trying to setup a cross polarized setup. Disappointed also by Reality caputre, buggy, laggy, maybe fast but the interface looks completely unfinished and crashing a lot for a rather expensive product.

Funny because I wasn't convinced at all by BBB3 viz workflow, too much speculars, cumbersome "2 sets" workflow, etc... and everywhere I see mind blowing results (mostly fruits & nuts) with his technique. I guess I've not failed and given up enough ;)

Out of curiosity, how much pictures do you take for one object ?
Philippe Steels
Pixelab - BlogFlickr

2017-01-19, 19:51:48
Reply #6

LuckyFox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Scans
Thank you, Pixelab!
I do not count as I shoot, so sometimes is more sometimes is less.
Some examples:
the main walnut 256
garlic 166
hazelnut 55

I am curious about your insights on cross polarised setup as I had to abort some shots due to strong speculars because I don't have yet polarising filter.

2017-01-20, 10:28:45
Reply #7

PMVis

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • moreton
Really nice models!

I too know the pain of photogrammetry and the hours of trial and error. I find agisoft photoscan rarely works the same way twice. I think I have found a workflow that works, then I do the exact same thing again for another model and for some reason beyond my understanding it doesn't work. Can be immensely frustrating, but worth the effort!

2017-01-20, 11:57:10
Reply #8

pixelab

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • pixelab
Thanks for the captures !

I am curious about your insights on cross polarised setup as I had to abort some shots due to strong speculars because I don't have yet polarising filter.

I will write a post on my blog as soon as the technique is in perfect running order. I'm trying to reproduce (more or less) the setup here : http://pixellighteffects.com/2016/05/cross-polarized-prop-scanning/
Philippe Steels
Pixelab - BlogFlickr

2017-01-20, 19:36:02
Reply #9

LuckyFox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Scans
PMVis Couldn't describe better the experience! spot on! Thank you!
pixelab, eager to find out and thank you. Bookmarked your blog.

2017-03-04, 16:36:22
Reply #10

LuckyFox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Scans
New batch of scans. 3D models are now available here:
https://3docean.net/collections/6414925-photogrammetry

2017-08-24, 17:56:03
Reply #11

LuckyFox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Scans
Some more scans:

2017-08-24, 21:12:39
Reply #12

PMendes

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Great results!!! Really should try work on my photogrammetry method. Awesome job
----------------------------------
Modelarq3D
http://www.paulo-mendes.com

2017-08-24, 21:38:56
Reply #13

LuckyFox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Scans
Thank you, Pmendes. Absolutely check Betrand's guide to photogrammetry, great insight.

2017-08-25, 03:25:58
Reply #14

Ciestacey

• Users
    • View Profile
    • 3 best sex chat sites
The detail on the nuts are amazing. Nice work