Author Topic: Tavistock Penthouse  (Read 18006 times)

2015-03-04, 14:37:37
Reply #15

RolandB

• Active Users
  • Corona fan
    • View Profile
    • Béhance portfolio
BEST RENDERS EVER.
Better than BB3Viz latests for me...
Are you serious ?
Yes I am, why not ? I really love the BB work, and it's always a great and powerful inspiration and technical source for me.
My critic about his renders (not his work) is about the post-production, witch everywhere, filters, it's never (or exceptionally) raw renders.
This does not detract from its exceptional qualities, but I find a better quality in the Coronaut renders. He did not deny me also...
Portfolio on Béhance
http://www.behance.net/GCStudio

2015-03-04, 16:14:51
Reply #16

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
Im not sure what you mean by using term "quality", but renders in this thread are utterly over-sharpened. Bump is overkill on some materials and its developing "terminagor" shadows. Fabrics looks rough, almost like painted concrete. Models are just average/boxy (in terms of quality). Bertand is miles away when comparing materials and postpro/composition.

Im not saying that renders looks bad but comparing it to Bertrand`s "quality" its bit degrading imho. Of course, you have your opinion and im ok with that, just trying to explain what i see.

Images are nice and i think that they have big potential to be even better with some more work put in.
Coronaut!(c)2011

Supporting Corona in commercial projects since pre-alpha

2015-03-04, 17:45:29
Reply #17

Coronaut

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Guys, thanks you've find time to reflect on it, please do not start measuring things.
I have great respect for BB work same as work from both of you, sometimes things are not in complete control(my control) there is clear demands and sometimes even if i see they are wrong i have to be tactical and accept them and i  avoid getting angry at client for requesting things i know they are wrong or look they prefer etc. i try to minimize or control as much as possible even though i do keep constant battle with them.
I am still accommodating to corona, bump, displace(and lots of other things) are quite different and i did got pissed when i realized at 4500 x 4500 there is too much bump but didn't have time to render everything again.
Of course there is mistakes and shitload of things there could be corrected but it is type of situation "everyone could be general after battle"
Once again, i do appreciate comments with explanation from the point that someone noticed something i maybe also noticed or didn't or whatever reason.
@MT there was topic few months ago about same thing, it was regarding to similar type of comments "are you serious" etc. i think someone place it in general discussion section, but anyways and always with similar type of things time will tell(be judge) same as people, and i do not mind it, but!
You said : "Of course, you have your opinion and im ok with that, just trying to explain what i see" which is fine, but that was in your second post.
First one was "Are you serious ?" far away from "i am ok with that" so please be ok with it if you are, or if you are not don't be, just don't claim you are but you aren't it is kinda confusing :D
Cheers
Drinks for both of you!
« Last Edit: 2015-03-04, 17:52:27 by Coronaut »

2015-03-04, 18:19:58
Reply #18

lius86

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Nice images,

Just a question, how did you do the lighting?

Only hdri in the environment slot?

2015-03-05, 00:42:34
Reply #19

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
You said : "Of course, you have your opinion and im ok with that, just trying to explain what i see" which is fine, but that was in your second post.
First one was "Are you serious ?" far away from "i am ok with that" so please be ok with it if you are, or if you are not don't be, just don't claim you are but you aren't it is kinda confusing :D

Im ok with any opinion, but that doesnt mean that i cant be "shocked" and ask for explanation / comparison!

Its like...imagine that you have found your friend listening and dancing to Backstreet Boys lol. You can respect his music taste but still, there is no reason to dont ask him why he likes their production.

As i said, i like your renderings and respect your work and i was just comparing technical aspects of "why do you prefer A over B", which is quite common (not only in) in 3D scene.

« Last Edit: 2015-03-05, 08:40:47 by michaltimko »
Coronaut!(c)2011

Supporting Corona in commercial projects since pre-alpha

2015-03-05, 09:03:56
Reply #20

bluebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Still IMHO you guys are comparing apples to plums ;-)
Both have their fans, but the one thing that they trully have in common is that they're both fruits and grow on trees.

Never seen trully commercial jobs by BB, the ones that he publishes are his personal works.
As everyone knows - they are flawless. But you can do everything up to your taste in personal projects, do as many shots as you want, from the angles you want, and you have as much time as you want.

Commercial jobs on the other hand tend to be a constant battle with the client, because they all "know better", and as long as they pay, you have to respect that and work out a compromise.

And concerning commercial jobs i think that Coronauts images are really, really great, and I am pretty sure, that provided enough time he could bring them to the next level :-)

2015-03-05, 13:05:00
Reply #21

Coronaut

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@Lius86:Thanks, Yes it was HDRI with inverse gamma .9, all settings default except camera settings.
@Michaltimko:Thanks, i had few too many yesterday :D
@Bluebox:Thanks,  yes usually it is, sometimes battle with clients leave you with rubble, similar to what you see in any urban environment battle(war) and that eventually get you questioning is it still worth battle it since everything is leveled down.
Few projects before i made such a SHIT that i would be pretty much embarrassed even to show it publicly, and since nothing was my call i decided to ignore it... :) placed it under carpet with rest of miserable things...
Usually relationship between clients go "Listen, i know best, you will do what i am paying you, you are providing services and i give you ca$h in exchange" with some crazy deadlines, 16hours of work but you are payed half of that, 100 revisions etc.
There is also people(clients) who actually know better and let you do your thing, those guys know difference, have confidence in you and what is more important let you do your job, they do not suffer from power crave, they know if they knew better they would probably do it on their own.
And again no one is perfect, there is lots of mistakes always, nor project could be always perfect and suiting to you, there is still lots of things pressuring you like time frame, budget or simply maybe you do not like it a bit.
You either can work those differences with client or not, you try and educate them, try convincing them but hey at the end of the day if they insist on some wood table with classic Scandinavian furniture or pink console table etc. and loads of all kind of silly request that are not meant to be... you try and minimize it as much as you can and grab bottle of Jack Daniels to help you swallow loads of that shit.
That is why you can see work today that is looking like someone is raping industry and that it looks like it was made 2004, those guys decided self preservation(ca$h in today's terms) over artistry and they are right on one side.
I do have great respect to anyone like BB or whoever(there is full Behance of guys doing great job in every aspect) who is trying to show people(possible future clients) how something suppose to look like and what is all about instead blind fulfillment of their sometimes stupid wishes, it is educational and inspiring but again someone will always turn his head on other side, show inertness and avoid to see any difference.
Same goes in almost any industry today unfortunately, i don't have to tell anyone that not a single song today has any future but quite contrary it has expiration date... And there is only few guys that are truly independent who can make their own terms and conditions. And that road is filled with crows feet, IED, mad clients, hoodlums and crazy fat ladies that sings so you have to pass all those on single life and not get killed and on top having willingness to work after you seen all that :D
That is why you drink, that is why your back hurts, that is why you need rest, that is why you need to be tactical and that is why you need to have one eye shut down not able to see too much, as if you do it will spoil you.
This is short story based on my experience, yours can be different and you can say different stuff and so on but again everyone have his own path :)
Cheers
« Last Edit: 2015-03-05, 13:08:28 by Coronaut »

2015-03-06, 15:59:58
Reply #22

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What HDRI are you using if you don't mind me asking? I would like to purchase it! I haven't found a good sunny HDRI that doesn't have an overly blue hue yet - your images are very neutral which I like.

How are you post processing btw? Rendering underexposed and then brightening? Or are you using a 32-bit workflow?
« Last Edit: 2015-03-06, 16:03:20 by agentdark45 »
Vray who?

2015-03-06, 17:41:01
Reply #23

Coronaut

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey, 32bit EXR, nothing spectacular, same as every other photo.
https://cg-source.com/details_hdrisky.php?id=0086-04&pricat=sky   <---this is HDRI i used for day setup.
I think WB was set around 6500k and in combo with 4000k spots everything leveled up pretty much, maybe i did additional wb correction in PS i really can't remember.
Thanks!

2015-03-06, 19:28:49
Reply #24

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
Vray who?

2015-03-09, 18:28:23
Reply #25

mitviz

• Active Users
  • Architectural/Product Modeling and Rendering
    • View Profile
    • MITVIZ
What were render times for each image?
Mitviz
Professional Modeling and Rendering Solutions
Intel core i7-5960x cpu @3 GHz, GeForce GTX 970

2015-03-09, 19:51:19
Reply #26

Coronaut

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think it was around few hours, cant remember sorry :|

2015-03-10, 16:01:49
Reply #27

Mr.Schorsch

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • fokuspunkt
First of all... Great images.

It feels like i never get this Kind of crispness / sharpness you achieved. Are you pushing it in PS via highpass or is it due to longer rendertimes?

or do you twee kthe coronasettings somehow?

Regards