Author Topic: Laptop for travel, client meetings and light modeling  (Read 2908 times)

2016-08-19, 08:09:09

Jens

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ikonoform
Hi guys

I need a laptop that I can bring to client meetings, use on travels and workshops (light 3ds max and photoshop work) and also just on the sofa at home. Not at all a portable workstation.
So it needs to be portable and light (thinking 14" and under 1.7kg). Have a good screen 1920p will be fine, but needs good color accuracy). Good battery life. No fancy gaming laptop. Simple design. 8gb ram minimum.

I'm not sure what is needed cpu/gpu wise for my needs. Will an i5/i7 with the onboard HD520 gpu suffice for light 3ds max and photoshop work or is it totally hopeless? I'm thinking that the discrete GPUs loose out on battery performance/portability.

The Dell XPS is too expensive. I'm currently looking at the Lenovo Yoga 700/710.

What are you guys using / any advice?

Thanks.
My small 3D model shop: www.ikonoform.com/shop
My arch viz blog: www.ikonoform.com/blog

2016-08-19, 12:11:24
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The Dell XPS is too expensive

I know : / But it's pretty much the only worthy laptop.

Integrated IntelHD graphics are surprisingly good for 3ds Max. I can't explain it. 3ds Max..
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-08-19, 12:49:46
Reply #2

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
after almost 2 years still smiling, using surfacepro 3 (i5, 8GB ram, 256GB SSD) with great colors & resolution, decent battery life (5-8h)... noticed that clients are quite more satisfied & prefer tablet for demonstration (with a pen to make some doodles, notes /epicpen/)
even done some renderings on, painting with verve & expresii (both use fluid simulations)
« Last Edit: 2016-08-19, 12:55:11 by burnin »

2016-08-19, 12:57:59
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
We bought Surface 4 pro to my mom, so she can look through stuff..

It's amazing piece of hardware. Again so damn expensive. But I think that's the ultimate client shower too. The display is beyond beautiful, imho even better than the one on XSP 13 Veronika uses.

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-08-19, 16:36:58
Reply #4

Jens

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ikonoform
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm glad to hear that max should run okay on the integrated GPU type.

Had my eyes on the Surface Pro 4 too, but yeah its priced as the Dell XPS. The Surface Pro 5 should come early 2017 according to various sites, so would feel a bit silly buying it so late in the cycle.

Think I'll go with the Lenovo Yoga 710 then.

PS. Thanks for that epicpen link burnin!
My small 3D model shop: www.ikonoform.com/shop
My arch viz blog: www.ikonoform.com/blog