Author Topic: [RESOLVED] CCC node not working in bump slot (V5 HF2)  (Read 6670 times)

2020-11-02, 11:35:11

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Im not sure if this has been fixed in v6 but in 5.2 ive noticed that i cant run a noise map through a corona colour correct and into a composite.
It works fine with a standard colour correct but corona colour correct doesnt seem to output any information to the composite node.
« Last Edit: 2020-11-03, 18:11:15 by Jpjapers »

2020-11-02, 11:42:38
Reply #1

JG_monomiru

• Active Users
  • JG
    • View Profile
    • www.gehrcken.de
I realized that too - not sure if that was corona 5.2 specific or even before...
At least i stopped using corona color correct and standard-color-correction in same maps-tree - somehow the texture information got lost or it didn't behaved at all.

2020-11-02, 12:02:11
Reply #2

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I realized that too - not sure if that was corona 5.2 specific or even before...
At least i stopped using corona color correct and standard-color-correction in same maps-tree - somehow the texture information got lost or it didn't behaved at all.

Yeah ive never noticed it before so it could be older. We cant yet upgrade to v6 because theres no deadline support so i cant test to check the newest version.

2020-11-02, 17:15:46
Reply #3

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hi,

Can you provide some screenshots of one of your failing material setups?

Thanks,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2020-11-02, 17:22:36
Reply #4

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sure, Ive attached 2 images below. One with a standard CC node and the other with a corona CC node. The standard CC node gives the expected result. The corona CC node seems to have no output to the composite node.

EDIT: Apologies i forgot to crop the screenshots!

2020-11-02, 18:15:51
Reply #5

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It looks like you're trying this with bump? Is the situation the same if you try to use CCC for diffuse or other channels?
For bump and CC, afaik you need to use the Bump Converter to make any CC work with Corona. Why the legacy CC works differently from Corona's I don't know but to be sure I'd redo the test with something else than bump, bump might be a special case.

2020-11-02, 19:04:34
Reply #6

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It looks like you're trying this with bump? Is the situation the same if you try to use CCC for diffuse or other channels?
For bump and CC, afaik you need to use the Bump Converter to make any CC work with Corona. Why the legacy CC works differently from Corona's I don't know but to be sure I'd redo the test with something else than bump, bump might be a special case.

I'll give it a go but in that case, you'd surely need to convert the composite node, not the noise node. The composite node itself is t seeing the map.

2020-11-02, 20:01:17
Reply #7

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ah wait, wasn't the advantage of the CoronaMix map that it works correctly with bump? I remember something but not sure what exactly :D
You might be really seeing two different special cases here - first being that bump together with CC generally need CoronaBumpConverter to work correctly and that CoronaMix map works with bump - which I'm not sure about in detail.
So, bump in general needs special treatment... would be interesting to sort out what happens where that's why a color channel should be tested, too.

2020-11-02, 20:08:38
Reply #8

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ah wait, wasn't the advantage of the CoronaMix map that it works correctly with bump? I remember something but not sure what exactly :D
You might be really seeing two different special cases here - first being that bump together with CC generally need CoronaBumpConverter to work correctly and that CoronaMix map works with bump - which I'm not sure about in detail.
So, bump in general needs special treatment... would be interesting to sort out what happens where that's why a color channel should be tested, too.

Also just to note that the noise node that isnt running through either colour correct node works fine in the bump slot.

2020-11-03, 10:16:49
Reply #9

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hi,

I just tested this in v6 HF1 and a CoronaColorCorrect is working correctly in the bump map slot of the Corona material.

The bug here was that the CoronaColorCorrect would not produce any bump when the brightness was set to 0. As a workaround in Corona v5 you can simply set the brightness to a non zero number and it will work.

We fixed this in Corona V6. Let me know if you still have some issues.

Cheers,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2020-11-03, 11:13:38
Reply #10

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
So here:

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=23828.0

(4) is the only one missing? I can imagine it's because CBC generally converts RGB to bump, even when there is a valid bump information already. And that may be not only expected but intentional. In this case the report over there should go to resolved bugs finally because (7) and (8) seem to be fixed as well (tested with DB v7).

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2020-11-03, 17:00:48
Reply #11

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I'm a bit confused here. Is the problem still valid, or is everything fine now?
I tried with Corona 6 HF1 + Max 2021 and I couldn't reproduce it. I tried with a similar setup as in the screenshots, and both diffuse and bump channels. It seems to be working fine. I am attaching my images and the scene in Max 2018 in case anyone wants to give it a go.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-11-03, 18:09:30
Reply #12

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm a bit confused here. Is the problem still valid, or is everything fine now?
I tried with Corona 6 HF1 + Max 2021 and I couldn't reproduce it. I tried with a similar setup as in the screenshots, and both diffuse and bump channels. It seems to be working fine. I am attaching my images and the scene in Max 2018 in case anyone wants to give it a go.

The fix provided by rowmanns works fine as the report was for v5.2. We cant upgrade to v6 in our studio until deadline offers support so until that happens we are stuck with 5.2 as are a fair few studios it seems.
Ive updated the thread title to better reflect the topic.