Author Topic: Have you seen Fstorm render?  (Read 46835 times)

2016-08-03, 16:18:56
Reply #15

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
  "Look, this is serious, we present you these worn documents with 3ds max, recovered from a secret file, from the second world war"

Lol! And taken with my secret "camera that looks like a pen" too!
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2016-08-03, 17:03:47
Reply #16

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile
For all I know, there could still be fishy things with Octane guys or FStorm developer, but right now the case seems tilted in the Fstorm favor.

2016-08-03, 17:22:51
Reply #17

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Looks like one of the sides is bound for an epic fail. We'll see which one.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-08-03, 18:44:47
Reply #18

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Well, it's no news that Otoy likes to sue people that worked for them in the past, for basically the same lame reasons...
I tend to rather believe everyone else than otoy.
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2016-08-04, 10:52:15
Reply #19

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
For all I know, there could still be fishy things with Octane guys or FStorm developer, but right now the case seems tilted in the Fstorm favor.
maybe in your mind, but I seriously hope Karba did not submit the document to court as it is (but rather to his lawyer as his materials), it would IMHO not convince a non-expert in the field as the arguments are not well written and thought out.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-08-04, 12:58:09
Reply #20

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
another story with otoy...
Was also a member on Refractive Software forums back in the days when it started, after the 'acquisition' i haven't looked back. Never will. O'Toy' does nothing but up the prices and fu+ks the little guy. Their development is similar to that of an assassin, hidden, slow, careful and if failed, blows up.

https://twitter.com/JustinYounger/status/760481513221689344

Stay good and well, legionaries.

2016-08-05, 04:36:34
Reply #21

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
is that true..? WTF?! I cant believe it did happened.. I'm so speechless

2016-08-05, 07:46:06
Reply #22

RobSteady

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Here's the link to the thread:
http://www.fstormrender.com/forum/forum/off-topic/1703-andrey-kozlov-vs-otoy

Funny to see that Otoy is claiming that the 3ds max Environment Tab belongs to their product - the really have no idea what they're doing.
I don't think it's a good idea to publish everything in a public forum though. Hope this turns out well for Andrey (Karba), he's a good guy.
« Last Edit: 2016-08-05, 08:00:26 by RobSteady »

2016-08-05, 10:20:28
Reply #23

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

Yeah, what the f*ck is this ?!

Btw, what happened to the company founder (Refractive, not Otoy) ?

Regarding F-storm.

What I like:
Karba is fast. You ask him, you get the feature next-day.
They have good material, after it was requested by users. Now they have correct fresnel and even glossiness attentuation towards edges. Very cool.
Cool glare and tonemapping. Good to see this being priority :- )

What is OK.
It's not fast, c'mon, but not slow either. Pretty much like Octane, the interior GI is still slow. Sometimes a user will post "2 minute !!!" render only to be followed that actual, production quality 3k+ interiors are still 1 hour + even with 4x Titans. But Titans are still cheaper and more stackable than CPUs :- )

What I dislike:
Every properietary crap. No support for 3dsMax instances ? SERIOUSLY ?
No normal map support, or any plan to. SERIOUSLY ?!?! Big NO.
No support for 3dsMax physical camera but new F-Storm camera ? Nobody wants no f-storm camera.

So it's pretty damn good in some areas, and pretty bad for any actual stable production on others. Will watch cautiously.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-08-05, 12:08:42
Reply #24

RobSteady

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Have to agree with almost everything, Juraj - GPU rendering seemed so promising at the beginning. But you're very quick back to the ground of reality with more complex interiors taking quite some time even with a serious hardware setup. It's not the holy grail everyone was wating for. Also Corona is getting better each day ;)

Otoy did a great job in screwing Octane completely up; features nobody ever requested, confusing marketing (thinking about the V3 presentation video...omg), wired decisions.
Releasing new versions while breaking stuff that has worked before; the 3ds max plugin is filled with test releases and unstable versions.
They have hired some good guys at the forums though, professionally playing along customers, delaying promised updates/features - they're doing a remarkable job with this.
I think GPU rendering could have been much further if developed the right way...

You are also right about the cons for FStorm but please consider that it's a very young engine; first release was only six months ago and it's still in alpha stage. So hopefully all this will be added at some point.
Adaptive sampling is great feature though, cutting down render times quite a bit. I hope Andrey will add an integrated noise reduction solution one day - assuming everything works out good for him with the lawsuit.
« Last Edit: 2016-08-05, 12:14:32 by RobSteady »

2016-08-05, 12:43:37
Reply #25

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
What I dislike:
No support for 3dsMax physical camera but new F-Storm camera ? Nobody wants no f-storm camera.

So it's pretty damn good in some areas, and pretty bad for any actual stable production on others. Will watch cautiously.
When I realize there is no max maps support (procedurals, bitmaptexture etc) it's usually the last time I try the renderer. It's a no-go for production for me and at this point I can only regard it as a (o)toy.
No normal map support is ridiculous though, can't imagine he's not planning to implement it.
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2016-08-05, 12:52:06
Reply #26

Ryuu

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Michal
    • View Profile
I must admit that I never really understood these religious CPU vs GPU debates. As a hardware designer, I am looking forward to the upcoming Xeons combined with FPGAs for the ability to design custom hardware :)

But to be serious, I think it would be better for everyone to combine the best of both worlds. Use CPU for more complex tasks and then use GPU for stuff like postprocessing, where you apply a relatively simple operation to lots of data.

2016-08-05, 13:13:31
Reply #27

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
People who do those cpu vs gpu wars often don't understand quite well what they are actually debating, it's just another variation of being part of cool camp. But 'religious' is overstatement, have a look at PC vs Console, nVidia vs AMD type of debates :- ) Those are beyond any kind of salvation.

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-08-06, 03:29:40
Reply #28

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
c'mon guys, Fstorm render is now still a cute baby, but I heard it developed so fast then I'm sure it will become a beast in the future not just a toy.
But to be serious, I think it would be better for everyone to combine the best of both worlds. Use CPU for more complex tasks and then use GPU for stuff like postprocessing, where you apply a relatively simple operation to lots of data.
hi Ryuu, Can you make hardware acceleration for corona denoising just like the "other" do? 4k render will be happy for this acceleration (and especially me who don't have hi-end cpu). or I didn't realize it is already use GPU acceleration...?
cheers :D

2016-08-06, 04:55:46
Reply #29

Javadevil

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Yeah, what the f*ck is this ?!

Btw, what happened to the company founder (Refractive, not Otoy) ?

Regarding F-storm.

What I dislike:

Instancing works, you have to select it in the fstorm properties of the instance to work.
So things like Forrest pro work.

Things I agree with
No Normal map support, that sucks
Fstorm Camera, yeah he should support Physical camera

With enough convincing I'm sure he'll put them in :)

I'll do some more testing but I'm pretty sure I've had decent results within 2to3hrs on one GTX 970 at 3k.