Author Topic: Cinema 4D - No linear workflow  (Read 4944 times)

2014-09-06, 05:41:47

mp5gosu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As the subject states. No matter if "Linear Workflow" is checked or not, scenes are never rendered in LWF.
It also doesn't matter if the output is set to 32Bit (which always should render into linear color space).
However, C4D's internal color profile handling allows linear conversion - at least for the materials. Lights etc. are not taken into account - no LWF.

I know, CoronaC4D has just been born and many things are missing yet (btw, I'm also using the 3ds Max version) so I'm not sure whether to consider this as bug or simply as "not yet implemented". :)

2018-07-29, 13:29:23
Reply #1

kmwhitt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I realized this post is almost four years old, but I recently came across it while searching for a way to use Corona for C4D w/ Gamma 1.0.  I am taking a video course by CG Bandit where he explains the advantages in 3DS Max.  I have tried unticking LWF and played around with the input color profile to no avail.  Any advice?

2018-07-30, 12:13:18
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I am not really sure what effect you are after, but:

1) Here is a guide on gamma setup for C4D: https://help.c4d.corona-renderer.com/support/solutions/articles/12000010221

2) While renders made by CG Bandit do look impressive, changing the gamma when using Corona is officially definitely not recommended by our team. Gamma is more than just an "artistic" control, and you can break many things with it.
Using a different gamma value will not only make the rendering unrealistic, but will also ALWAYS break the way Corona Renderer is intended to work. Corona was created with the gamma 2,2 in mind, and changing it will not only alter the image "artistically", but will also influence the way lighting is calculated, from a technical perspective. This was repeated by Corona developers many times, for example here: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=6425.msg43344#msg43344

The preferred solution is to always use the recommended gamma settings, and only then adjust the rendered image in post to your liking.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-08-02, 10:31:01
Reply #3

kmwhitt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Maru - thanks for the link to that thread.  Great read.