Author Topic: OUtside window white in interior scenes.  (Read 5187 times)

2015-03-05, 01:39:16

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
I wanted to ask if there is a way to get objects outside the windows when rendering an interior scene to show after cranking up the exposure. I have an interior scene with a large window with grass and trees outside. When I crank up the exposure, the window becomes completely white, making all the work I put into the models outside the window worthless. I am wondering if thats the way it is in the real world but I have seen a good number of photography with the interior well lit by daylight and the world outside the windows are very clear. Is this possible with Corona or it can only be achieved in post?

2015-03-05, 01:54:15
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
suitable tone mapping will do that. Try for example increasing the highlight compression in Corona
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-03-05, 02:23:30
Reply #2

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
I have the highlight compression up to 999.0. Outside the window is still white.

2015-03-05, 09:15:08
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
This is probably correct. You would have to decrease brightness of sun/sky or increase brightness inside of the room. Try taking a photo inside a room when it's sunny outside.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-03-05, 21:12:46
Reply #4

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
Increase the brightness inside the room? I have light bulbs inside the room but it isn't lighting the interior up. Do u have any suggestions on how this can be done. I think I will have to add more light bulbs and it is true, during sunny days, the interior tends to be darker. I might have to go for maybe an overcast sky. I have sun coming through the window hitting the floor, doesn't seem to help improve the interior light.

2015-03-06, 09:31:16
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Increase the brightness inside the room?
I mean if you will make the interior brighter, then you will be able to turn exposure down to make the interior as bright as before, but darker exterior.

2015-03-06, 10:33:35
Reply #6

3dbybrunolopes

• Active Users
  • Bruno Lopes
    • View Profile
    • http://www.3dbybrunolopes.com
You must think like a photographer...

It's not possible to expose both interior and exterior perfectly...
You expose for interior or you expose for exterior...

Normally waht a photogrpher do, is to try to expose for exterior, and the use of a flash to ilumnate interior...BUT, a light coming from a flash it's not very elegant. that's why most architectural interior shots, are shoot at golden hours, within a hour after sunrise or within a hour after or before sunset, when the direct and indirect light are more even...!!!
Senior 3D Artist and Technical Director

2015-03-12, 01:35:38
Reply #7

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
Thanks 3dbybrunolopes.

I tried what u suggested, still very white outside. I am gonna try making two renders with one exposure for interior and another for exterior and try to match them in post.

2016-09-28, 16:07:35
Reply #8

Outman

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi

The problem comes from the window glass, here is a solution, in coronaMtl editor / basic option / refraction, check ( thin, no refraction )

Outman

2016-09-28, 16:47:05
Reply #9

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi

The problem comes from the window glass, here is a solution, in coronaMtl editor / basic option / refraction, check ( thin, no refraction )

Outman
Hi,

1) This should not affect exposure in any way
2) This thread is from 2015 :)