Author Topic: Smart sharpening/blurring  (Read 1382 times)

2022-09-04, 12:00:49

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I think that current sharpening/blurring (S/B) implementation in VFB is not very useful, you can get the same and most often significantly better results in post. But since Corona has access to raw 3D data, then why not to use this to its advantage? If Corona could use DOF and z-depth data to enhance its S/B algorithms, then it would be big win. I imagine it could be something like couple additional parameters to current S/B UI - "DOF influence" and "Z-Depth influence", where if you increase DOF influence parameter it would sharpen focused areas and blur de-focused areas more. Same with z-depth influence - sharpen foreground and blur background more.

I know that z-depth based sharpening/blurring can be easily achieved in post, but i think DOF based sharpening would be truly unique feature in Corona.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-09-29, 13:27:16
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
A pretty wild request, so I am not sure what is its viability, but logged nonetheless :)

(Internal ID=972107767)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-09-29, 14:45:06
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
It might be wild, but it came from frustration when not for the first time i wanted to sharpen an image with heavy DOF and to my disappointment, subtle noise in OOF area was sharpened to the point that it was too ugly and distracting. I know there's plans in Corona roadmap to optimize DOF computations, so maybe this will help, but still i think it would be nice to have an option to sharpen an image without ruining DOF. Thanks for logging the request!
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures