Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] Resolved Bugs

Crash at 'Cleaning up' rendering stage

(1/4) > >>

Tom:
Hi,

I try to render a scene with 3ds Max 2022.3.3 & Corona 8 Hotfix 1 on a AMD 3990X PC with 128Go of RAM.

The scene is pretty light:

1.5M polygons total
24 corona proxies
most textures are 4K .jpg, some 16bits tiff (very few, only for displacement)

The scene is 263MB only on disk (Compress on Save disabled), and when the scene is loaded it takes 16GB of RAM.

I render a unique frame, 6000 x 3000 pixels
Physical RAM used while rendering: 33 GB.

The render works fine until the end: 3ds Max crashes on the 'Current Task: Cleaning up' stage.

It's weird because I've already rendered this scene in lower resolution without any issue.
I thought the problem is due to displacement, but visibly not as the RAM consumption is pretty low.

Another cause I can think of is: I try to save the image as '011.cxr'. But there is already a file called 011.cxr on the disk. Can it be the cause of the issue?

Thank you in advance for the help,

Tom:
Hi,

I restarted my PC and rendered again: this time it worked fine until the end. The image has correctly been saved to an .cxr file.

But when I tried to open the image in Corona Image Editor, I had the following error (see attached).

I had to restart my PC, and only then I was able to open the .cxr image in CIE.

Do you know how can I prevent this issue?

Thank you very much,

TomG:
More than half the memory is being used by other apps, not leaving enough for what the CIE needs (it wants about half the memory, but in doing so total memory required is 137 GB). I'd try closing some of those other applications :)

Tom:
Thanks @TomG
I'll pay attention to that in the future.
It looks like the more RAM you have the more you need ;)

hurrycat:
I remember having this problem, as I have posted here: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=35457.msg194336#msg194336

For me it mostly was the Bloom&Glare being enabled, while being on the "Post" tab of the VFB at the cleaning up phase that caused Max to get stuck. So you can try disabling that, or switching tabs.

Other times I think it was due to low RAM (as in your case) so you can try enabling the "conserve RAM" option, under Performance.

Lastly, I would strongly suggest to turn on VFB autosaves (System->System settings), if you haven't already, because It can be a lifesaver in times when something inevitably goes south.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version