Author Topic: Store Corona Material Library assets in a network location  (Read 4223 times)

2017-10-26, 08:42:33

pascal80

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello,

I love the new material library, but i have a question about it. Is it possible to change the directory location (bitmaps) for network rendering? In Sigershader you can change it in te settings tab.

Regards
« Last Edit: 2018-10-22, 16:27:49 by maru »

2017-10-26, 09:58:45
Reply #1

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
For using one single library asset directory for all nodes, there are two basic options currently afaik:

A) You have to relink the asset paths in library.mat manually to your network assets location primarily.

Then you can either roll out the changed library to all nodes (simple copy), you can still use the Corona material browser as it then uses the relinked paths.

Or you could use the relinked library (mat file + assets) just as a standard library centralised on your network. Using the Corona browser (with a local, unchanged library) will then result in locally linked assets of course - so it should/could not be used any more.

Hybrid: You copy the relinked library to your workstations only, slaves pick up the assets from the network and do not need to have installed anything of the library.

B) To symlink the complete Corona\material directory initially once on every node to a network location may be another solution (which works) - somehow I don't like the idea.

But if you want to just network render with the unchanged library and you don't fear to deploy the library to all nodes during installation, there should be no problem with network rendering even when local paths are used because lib + asssets should be the same everywhere. It's rather better because assets do not have to be transferred :) So the above is only for faster maintaining or if you want to adjust a few materials for your needs network wide.

Good Luck

Edit:
Btw: "About this forum" is definitely the wrong board to post this question :)

« Last Edit: 2017-10-26, 14:05:09 by Frood »
Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2017-10-26, 10:11:41
Reply #2

pascal80

• Active Users
    • View Profile
thnx for your answer!

P.S. Your right about the board ;)

2017-10-26, 14:21:54
Reply #3

jasond

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Frood, what don't you like about creating symlinks for this purpose, isn't it a lot less work? I was just thinking about using this method to update my nodes before reading your post... now I'm not sure.

2017-10-26, 14:50:33
Reply #4

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Cannot say, really. I would have been listing reasons if I would have been able to name them :) It's more a gut feeling, nothing else. There should be no rational reasons against using filesystem links here, sorry for confusion.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.