Author Topic: corona 1.1 displacement vs 1.2  (Read 2914 times)

2015-09-07, 22:00:07

Rebus farm

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hi

are there know issues about displacement preparation time ?
In my case I render a scene made in 1.1 via Corona 1.2 and preparing displ. take ages.

andre

2015-09-07, 22:14:58
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Hi,
in 1.1 there were 2 displacement parameters - one for quality and one acting as a safety brake because the algorithm was not 100% reliable. In 1.2 we removed the safety brake, because the algorithm is now reliable... but then we found that some users actually set the quality too high and used just the safety brake to limit the tesselation, and with that parameter gone, they would run out of memory. So it is a problem of older build being more tolerant to incorrect setup
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-09-08, 06:57:40
Reply #2

Cyanhide

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,
in 1.1 there were 2 displacement parameters - one for quality and one acting as a safety brake because the algorithm was not 100% reliable. In 1.2 we removed the safety brake, because the algorithm is now reliable... but then we found that some users actually set the quality too high and used just the safety brake to limit the tesselation, and with that parameter gone, they would run out of memory. So it is a problem of older build being more tolerant to incorrect setup

I still don't like it tho >.>
Displacement has become a hassle, when I switched to corona i was so impressed how it handled displ in comparison to Vray. Build 1.2 hit me and now i'm experiencing the same sh.. all over again-_-"

Sorry Ondra, I just couldn't resist lol

2015-09-08, 10:45:23
Reply #3

Rebus farm

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So to avoid issues i need to render 1.1 jobs in 1.1 and 1.2 ind 1.2 ?
thats a pain - running 2 version in farm is possbile but much work to make the scripts
I better force the users using 1.2 insteat - 1.1 will be an error in Farminizer

2015-09-08, 11:06:22
Reply #4

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
So to avoid issues i need to render 1.1 jobs in 1.1 and 1.2 ind 1.2 ?
thats a pain - running 2 version in farm is possbile but much work to make the scripts
I better force the users using 1.2 insteat - 1.1 will be an error in Farminizer

Yes, I recommend warning users that the farm is running latest version and that they should update too. We try to maintain backwards compatibility, but it is not always possible, or sometimes it would ruin the application design. Our licensing model allows virtually everybody to use the latest version.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)