Author Topic: Workflow for using existing model library  (Read 7991 times)

2016-05-17, 20:41:05

Benny

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What is your workflow for re-using all your existing models with Vray materials?`

I have accumulated and created a ton of models over years, and have become so used to just dragging things in to my scene with Project Manager or using flopitor that I'm starting to see some productivity bumps now that I have to convert things first. I normally do this by running a second copy of Max and using the converter script, but it is a hassle, especially when the scene I want something from is large.

2016-05-17, 21:31:21
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I asked about a week ago about this :- ) I wanted to do mass-convertion (but also re-pathing) externally without opening each file individually. Apparently, that's not possible because 3dsMax.

I am already used to doing this to single model from DesignConnected/3dSky, but the moment it's whole library (like Evermotion vegetables,etc...)..... nightmare. Horror.

Last time I tried to speed it up by importing all models from collection into single 3dsMax file, re-path, check gamma, make groups and re-save again individually. Still a lot of work, but no need to open 3dsMax 40 times.
I will still have to re-do materials later because I dislike (or hate) how other people often set them up (both DC and 3dSky can be ridiculously wrong or weird).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-05-17, 21:45:41
Reply #2

Benny

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I wonder if there is any way to get Project Manager to do something like this, it seems very flexible in the way it generates thumbnails and can batch relink. Unfortunately the manual is non-existent and I'm really thick when it comes to getting things like that to work. It was painful enough to set up my own material thumbnail object.

I will have to give DesignConnected another look, but I like the Project Manager is a single app for models, materials, textures, IES (with previews), etc. The guy behind it is also a hard worker, new updates continuously. Just wish it was better documented.

2016-05-18, 05:51:40
Reply #3

Benny

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Another, and perhaps more practical, approach would be if one could insert the Vray (or other material's) model just like usual, and then every time this has occurred or after one has added a number of foreign material items, one just run the converter script again.

However, for some reason this doesn't seem to work. I don't know if it is because it not supposed to be run twice on the same scene, or if it has something to do with either the model or the way I imported it, but it doesn't appear to work. I get an error message saying Material type "VrayMtl" not supported and it then list an offending material.

Is this something that either be fixed, or a possible way forward?

2016-05-18, 09:34:24
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
You should be able to run converter in your scene as many times as you want. If you get error message and are able to reproduce it, please report it in this topic: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,126.0.html
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-05-18, 17:04:23
Reply #5

Benny

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm not getting an error message when I run it, only at render time, so I assume nothing is happening. I haven't upgraded my script in a while though.

2016-05-18, 18:52:13
Reply #6

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
If converter didn't do its job, that's misbehaviour and should be reported too.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-05-20, 02:17:09
Reply #7

mitviz

• Active Users
  • Architectural/Product Modeling and Rendering
    • View Profile
    • MITVIZ
wish there was some sort of mass converter to do this, would love to not have to do this model by model its such a pain, i just hope they all will now start having corona compatible materials
Mitviz
Professional Modeling and Rendering Solutions
Intel core i7-5960x cpu @3 GHz, GeForce GTX 970

2016-06-03, 22:01:38
Reply #8

Kstudio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Kstudio - 3ds Max Plugins & Scripts
I wonder if there is any way to get Project Manager to do something like this, it seems very flexible in the way it generates thumbnails and can batch relink. Unfortunately the manual is non-existent and I'm really thick when it comes to getting things like that to work. It was painful enough to set up my own material thumbnail object.

I will have to give DesignConnected another look, but I like the Project Manager is a single app for models, materials, textures, IES (with previews), etc. The guy behind it is also a hard worker, new updates continuously. Just wish it was better documented.

You can find manual here - http://support.3d-kstudio.com/manual/project-manager/ (Project Manager)
and here for the "Batch Render&Relink" - http://support.3d-kstudio.com/manual/batch-render-relink/

It's not completely and superficially, but i hope you find some useful details about Project Manager.

As I understand you have some questions about the "Batch Render&Relink" or customizing a studio scene?
So please post your questions here or on forum https://3d-kstudio.com/forum/

And thank you for your testimonial.

2016-06-11, 05:11:18
Reply #9

Benny

• Active Users
    • View Profile

As I understand you have some questions about the "Batch Render&Relink" or customizing a studio scene?

If I have a folder with objects, and the textures in their own folder inside, how would I go about to batch relink this? Most of the objects are from an older system where I was stupid enough to enter absolut locations of all my maps.

Would you mind doing a brief step by step guide?

2016-06-12, 14:11:18
Reply #10

Tanakov

• Active Users
  • Corona is faster than diarrhea
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/Gringott
Open model/scene that is about to be imported > convert >  Shift + T resave _corona
and import to the proper scene. Thats how I do it. Or I add the specyfic map folder to "Configure User Paths"
Using Corona since 2014-01-02
https://www.behance.net/Gringott

2016-06-12, 22:46:59
Reply #11

Benny

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No I meant the bitmap path, not the object format. Adding the folder to configure user paths works, but is very tedious if you have a folder with many objects that pulls textures from all over the place.

2016-06-14, 10:49:11
Reply #12

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
We used project manager to do convert our entire library at the start of the year. It works great !

All Max files converted, bitmap relinked for 24,528 max files. It took about 9 days and crashed twice, probably due to our network dropping out i didnt investigate but it was simple to work out where it stopped by modified date.

It allows u to run additional scripts. I will be doing it for corona materials and proxies next scheduled  update. We did this  for vray at the time
« Last Edit: 2016-06-15, 03:44:22 by James Vella »

2016-06-16, 11:20:11
Reply #13

Kstudio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Kstudio - 3ds Max Plugins & Scripts

If I have a folder with objects, and the textures in their own folder inside, how would I go about to batch relink this? Most of the objects are from an older system where I was stupid enough to enter absolut locations of all my maps.

Would you mind doing a brief step by step guide?

• Add directories/files for relink to Materials list
  • Check an option "Batch Search&Collect"
  • Add directories for searching to "Search Directories"
  • Press a button "Start"
  • Drink your tasty coffee :)