Chaos Corona for Cinema 4D > [C4D] General Discussion

Comparison between 3DS Max 2023 and Cinema4D 2023

<< < (2/4) > >>

MircoTosti Studio:
Not being able to understand where to load the images to make the visual as your "compare" I am attaching both the clean renders and the screens of the relative VFBs.

As requested I rendered the scene with 100 passes:
- the sky has no clouds and all the same parameters.
- both renders are path traced as requested.
- same material (all settings).
- same cameras (all settings including color mapping).
- everything in the scene is identical.

Comparison:
- tests show that shadow quality is markedly different.
- the tests show that the times are not at all identical, in fact we have 3 minutes less in 3dsmax than in c4d.
- the rays and all the other calculations are almost similar as seen also in the screenshots.

No other programs were used during the render tests. I hope it will be useful for you..

Thanks guys

maru:
Thank you for testing this.
Sorry for the confusion about the image comparisons. Only Corona team has access to our slider tool. You can use some online tools (like this https://web-toolbox.dev/en/tools/image-compare-slider) or I can take your images and upload them to our tool if you wish.

What exact tone mapping settings are you using for your images? Could you share a screenshot?

Other than that, here are some ideas what may be causing the differences, but I will get in touch with our developers to learn more and will share the results with you:
- There are differences between color management in 3ds Max and Cinema 4D (3ds Max is not color managed). This can be affecting the final appearance of the saved image.
- Even if both platforms support the same features, the way those features are implemented may be different. This can cause slight differences in rendering performance.
- You are comparing two daily builds. They might not be in synch with each other in terms of features and fixes (e.g. some fix may be already included in C4D but not in 3ds Max, or the other way around).

romullus:
Could it be that CforMAX and CforC4D has different default settings for something like cache precision, or something like that. I remember back in the alpha days Corona used to store these settings in a text file, which user could change at his own discretion and use as defaults.

maru:
@Mirco - could you share both scenes with us at https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new ?

Stefan-L:
One thing to mention from color: have you set the corona preferences to NOT use the c4d color management? if you have the default on corona c4d uses the c4d management whi9ch is slightly different, try turning that off to get more similar results as in max.

overall c4d has a different scene and material handling, the 3 min arent 25% slower as you said in first post, but yes a tiny bit, which might come due host app differences i think (render scene export, and the way materials and shader work, are quite different in c4d compared to max and probably a tiny bit slower).

in max you cannot do anything in the app while work, in c4d we can fully work even on the same scene, while rendering. this alone costs a tiny bit of speed due different cpu  threading. i rather prefer the c4d way in that case, even if that has a slight render time cost.

cheers
Stefan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version