Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] Feature Requests

Viewport interactive rendering + GPU + Denoise at first sample

(1/4) > >>

Dalton Watts:
I was fiddling around with Blender and Cycles and really liked their fluid implementation of Cycles rendering on the viewport.

In Cycles since the viewport is denoising in real-time for every sample, we can set a start sample so that the denoiser doesn't kick in before a set number of samples has already been calculated. That's the default behavior for Cycles. If we change that so the denoiser only kicks in at a later sample it behaves similarly to Corona or V-Ray.

The viewport rendering (similar to viewport IPR on V-ray and the "Interactive rendering in 3ds max viewport" as suggested on "The most wanted feature?" topic on the forum) alongside the GPU rendering with all the scalability that GPU rendering allows would greatly improve Corona experience, in my opinion.

I know GPU rendering and viewport interactive rendering may be in the distant future (or never happening at all) but can we, as of right now, start the AI denoiser on the first sample in order to simulate default Cycles viewport rendering behavior?

Note: In the video, I'm using a GTX 1070 Ti which is very far from the latest and greatest but it is still a smooth experience.

Dalton Watts:
No one?

maru:

--- Quote from: Dalton Watts on 2022-12-04, 13:31:08 ---can we, as of right now, start the AI denoiser on the first sample in order to simulate default Cycles viewport rendering behavior?

--- End quote ---

But why? I do not see any argument in your message.
Why is seeing a low-quality, unrefined image worse than seeing the same thing just with additional blurring?

dj_buckley:
Not really sure whether what I'm about to say helps here, but that video posted by Dalton looks far more 'interactive' than what I get with Corona IR.  It gives a much better representation of the final render in a much shorter space of time?

Dalton Watts:

--- Quote from: maru on 2023-01-13, 11:01:40 ---
--- Quote from: Dalton Watts on 2022-12-04, 13:31:08 ---can we, as of right now, start the AI denoiser on the first sample in order to simulate default Cycles viewport rendering behavior?

--- End quote ---

But why? I do not see any argument in your message.
Why is seeing a low-quality, unrefined image worse than seeing the same thing just with additional blurring?

--- End quote ---

The argument is there. If the AI denoiser starts at the first sample, the interactivity improves even though the first sample has notorious AI artifacts that soon fade away, at least in my view. This combined with GPU support would greatly improve Corona's usability.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version