Author Topic: Trying to scatter objects along both sides of a spline  (Read 1846 times)

2022-09-28, 00:21:46

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys!

I really need you help on this one. I'm trying to array two types of elements on a bunch of curved metallic tubes as shown on the attached image. These will be a bunch of really big chandelier on an auditorium. Objects must be scattered perpendicular to the normals of the tube and only on the sides of it, not on the top or bottom. They should also follow the ordered shown in the image: red, green, red, green, etc.

Is this a work for Chaos Scatter of should I look for something else?

2022-09-28, 01:11:41
Reply #1

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2022-09-28, 09:30:32
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I don't think you can set specific instances order in Chaos scatter. Railclone would likely be better suited tool for your task.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-09-28, 10:08:03
Reply #3

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
Two scatters? Each with the same distance set, but one has an offset? You could even mirror the scatter object first and set its pivot point to the middle? Would that work?
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2022-09-28, 10:48:20
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I just installed 3ds Max 2023.2 update this morning and what do you know, the new array modifier lets you achieve what you need very easily. Pretty powerful tool i must say.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-09-28, 21:12:39
Reply #5

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In C4D, I set this way fairly easily using a Mograph Cloner set to Object and dropped the Spline in the slot. Now this technique is using a spline that matches the curves of the tube thing. This might be clunky if you only have an existing mesh and not a sweep setup with a separate spline already. The other trick is to group two red objects and two green objects together. I feel this made it much simpler.

I believe this could also work if I selecting a loop of polygons along the middle of the tube, and used that to restrict where the clones go.

I'm not an expert with Scatter yet and for all I know, you're a Max user, but thought his may give you some ideas.

2022-09-29, 05:07:53
Reply #6

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Two scatters? Each with the same distance set, but one has an offset? You could even mirror the scatter object first and set its pivot point to the middle? Would that work?

Great ideas. Worked like a charm.

I just installed 3ds Max 2023.2 update this morning and what do you know, the new array modifier lets you achieve what you need very easily. Pretty powerful tool i must say.
This is gold. I have to install Max 2023. Thank you!

And thanks to everybody for all the suggestions.