Author Topic: Bake maps lacking contrast  (Read 10173 times)

2017-07-25, 14:44:53
Reply #15

mike_kennedy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This is the thing though, you can't basically bake lightmaps with 2.2 gamma, they go super dark.

I did the test, you can compare the results here:

Using 2.2 Gamma

http://vdcdemo.aareas.com/vdc3d/modelpreview.html?modelname=3975I_Mulbury_WebGL_Cor_BM_LM_2point2_gamma_092-WEBGL%20&username=mikek&date=7-21-2017&version=V1

This is 2.2 Gamma, the bake maps look fine, the lightmap results are a lot darker, you can switch using the UI in the Web GL App to compare.

Using 1 Gamma

http://vdcdemo.aareas.com/vdc3d/modelpreview.html?modelname=3975I_Mulbury_WebGL_Cor_BM_LM_1_gamma_098-WEBGL%20&username=mikek&date=7-21-2017&version=V1

This is the same file rendered using 1 gamma that is not supposed to work. Obviously i'd like to stay with 2.2 because I don't have to rework the lighting, but the light maps
look like their supposed to when using 1 Gamma

Now this is not an issue with Corona, with Vray you have to set the Gamma to 1 (Off typically) to get the lightmaps to not be dark.
Mike

2017-07-25, 15:11:55
Reply #16

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
You should configure your gamma properly, like maru suggested and override gamma to 1 in RTT save dialog.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-07-25, 15:21:16
Reply #17

mike_kennedy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The bake maps are looking good, so we have to set up that only for lightmaps?

2017-07-25, 15:33:58
Reply #18

mike_kennedy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Re Lightmap accuracy,

I don't think Corona is accurate, yes it's is tighter, but the lighting is off by at least a pixel in terms of over laps.

That affects the padding in the mips for sure,
look at these images.

2017-07-25, 15:36:40
Reply #19

mike_kennedy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
For the Gama, I can do internal tests, but our script guy can't touch this for a while, it's a big change in terms of if / then sort of stuff I guess in the workflow.
, the seams issue is the bigger problem buy far, we can't remodel everything, we have hundreds of interiors that would need that done.

2017-07-25, 16:28:02
Reply #20

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Re Lightmap accuracy,

I don't think Corona is accurate, yes it's is tighter, but the lighting is off by at least a pixel in terms of over laps.

That picture says nothing if we can't see how geometry is created.

, the seams issue is the bigger problem buy far, we can't remodel everything, we have hundreds of interiors that would need that done.

Well, too bad. Apparently you can't expect to cut corners in real time apps as easily as you can do that in off-line renderers. Maybe there is some solution appart from remodelling everything, but i'm not aware of it.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-07-25, 16:34:07
Reply #21

mike_kennedy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The walls and ceilings are separate objects like all of our interiors and most peoples I would imagine.
I can upload a Max file for Devs if they would like to take a look.

This link allows you too click on objects and turn them on and off if that would help.

http://vdcdemo.aareas.com/vdc3d/modelpreview.html?modelname=3975I_Mulbury_WebGL_Cor_BM_LM_2point2_gamma_092-WEBGL%20&username=mikek&date=7-21-2017&version=V1

2017-07-26, 16:19:39
Reply #22

mike_kennedy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I welcome any suggestions if some one has an answer not seen here, will stop beating the dead horse for now though:)
FYI,
This is being looked by support, will update here again if there is a solution not mentioned here.

Thanks to all that posted, super appreciate the help, we have a tight deadline to figure out something very new in terms of workflow to us.
Mike

2017-07-26, 17:29:57
Reply #23

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
sorry, we are moving our offices this week, I have almost no time for development :/
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2017-07-26, 17:41:36
Reply #24

mike_kennedy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I took that into account for the project, any help after would be fantastic though :)
Mike

2017-08-18, 14:45:50
Reply #25

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
I looked into it, and the dark seams are caused by overlapping geometry, that is rendered black (see attached) - part of the geometric object is inside another object, so RTT correctly renders it as black. These black pixels then get blended into the result because of the finite resolution of baked texture. I really dont know what we could do about this or why vray puts light even where it should be black - I cannot imagine how to do this without losing contact shadows
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2017-08-18, 15:45:11
Reply #26

mike_kennedy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks :) We ended up remodeling someone else's model to be seamless. That worked and will have to be costed in
Unfortunately that can't be done in all cases so we'll use Vray for those cases or live with seams.

Does anyone know a way in Photoshop to cheat this? maybe render a mask that can make the black pixels be shifted slightly?