Author Topic: Wool Shader  (Read 2705 times)

2020-12-08, 22:27:08

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
I have been trying to devise a convincing wool shader for an unreasonable amount of time and have not produced a successful result. Looking for tips, suggestions, or examples.

I've already studied the Corona mat lib fabrics and carpets, but those shaders do not translate to a convincing wool shader.

2020-12-08, 22:27:57
Reply #1

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What kind of wool are we talking about here? Cable knits? Have any precedent images?

Also what are your current efforts looking like?

Generally speaking you will probably have to use more than just a material to get a convincing close up look.  I would incorporate scattered strands over top the surface of the model to get the loose strand quality that some wool garments have.
« Last Edit: 2020-12-08, 22:32:28 by mferster »

2020-12-08, 22:48:43
Reply #2

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Yeah, I have a couple images in the 'cjwidd render thread' on the work in progress channel. I think I came close with the sweater.

Aiming for a looped yarn type of effect. I've tried a bunch of permutations: SSS, vol. scattering w/ and w/o opacity, vol. scattering with translucency, you name it.

2020-12-08, 23:20:45
Reply #3

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yah that latest sweater render looks pretty convincing to me, I would say you nailed it.

2020-12-08, 23:37:19
Reply #4

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Yeah, unfortunately the shader doesn't generalize;
 I tried it on a blanket and it looked like a fleshy rag lol

2020-12-09, 20:47:47
Reply #5

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hah, that's probably more the colour than anything else, not the most flattering of colours for wool

2020-12-09, 22:42:21
Reply #6

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yeah, unfortunately the shader doesn't generalize;
 I tried it on a blanket and it looked like a fleshy rag lol

Maru called my blanket "ET" when I tried it :- (
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-12-09, 22:46:35
Reply #7

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
lol, I sympathize

2020-12-10, 06:02:02
Reply #8

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
So @Juraj, did you eventually arrive at a solution for these types of fabrics, I know you mentioned simulating the fabrics with raw geo, or something to that effect(?)

2020-12-10, 09:10:48
Reply #9

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I ran out of time to get the exact material I wanted back then, so I settled for generic "soft"/fleece like. When I get time, I'll use the same technique (billion of scattered fibers) to create more transparent, airy wool.

The volume on which/through the fibers are scattered is set to "not render" so only fibers remain visible. Don't remember what is the fiber material...I don't think it's hair. And I don't even remember what the geo of fiber is like...tiny planes? Since I don't know how to render pure splines without volume (like hair).

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2020-12-10, 10:30:52
Reply #10

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
I genuinely thought you were being facetious when you said 'a billion' fibers in that other thread lol

Even the volume (plaid / blanket) is modeled, so this is really a pure geo solution. Very interesting, although I don't think I have the RAM to implement something like that(!)

Looks really good though, definitely something to think about

2020-12-10, 18:03:45
Reply #11

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The scattering actually uses small amount of memory :- ). But takes really long time to render noise-free (if you region crop onto that part, the ray/s drop to like 1/10th). Perhaps because of translucency but I don't remember if it's even translucent in the end...

The carpet that you see below, is 3dsMax Hair&Fur, with pathetic amount of hair (LOT less then million, maybe not even few hundred thousands?) takes like 5 damn minutes of pre-pass before rendering and eats like... 60 GB? I dunno, absurd number.
Utter total stupidity, time to try Ornatrix.

2020-12-10, 18:09:31
Reply #12

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I genuinely thought you were being facetious when you said 'a billion' fibers in that other thread lol

The billion fibers though, is remark I had because of Felt accoustic boards that cover full interior :- ). So that's a lot of square meters. Normal map (or even displacement) can only take you so far with felt (synthetic or esp. wool).