Author Topic: Gtx/Titan/Quadro  (Read 5533 times)

2015-12-23, 07:42:17

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
Considering 3dsmax as main 3d program and corona as renderer (so no gpu rendering) what seems to be the logical choice? Is there any advantage in viewport handling with Quadro since shade view uses directx?

2015-12-23, 07:55:44
Reply #1

vansan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm working with Titan black for 1 year, and forgot slow framerates in viewport. It's really awesome.
Only huge scenes with thousands of objects lead to 1-3 second freezes when switching viewports.

2015-12-23, 08:23:19
Reply #2

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
Is that for 20+m poly scenes? I guess Titanx would be 10-20% higher fps rate?

2015-12-23, 09:35:45
Reply #3

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
In my opinion, there is absolutely 0 reasons to go with Quadro instead any of the Titans. Viewport won't be enhanced in any way and their only Quadro selling point is imaginary "stability" and "professional support". There is nothing that Quadro will do better apart from ripping your wallet apart.

Some time ago the selling point for Quadro was its >8bit color support, but that's not the case anymore since GTX 200 series I believe.
My 3d stock portfolio - http://3docean.net/user/tomislavn

2015-12-23, 13:34:01
Reply #4

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
In my opinion, there is absolutely 0 reasons to go with Quadro instead any of the Titans. Viewport won't be enhanced in any way and their only Quadro selling point is imaginary "stability" and "professional support". There is nothing that Quadro will do better apart from ripping your wallet apart.

Some time ago the selling point for Quadro was its >8bit color support, but that's not the case anymore since GTX 200 series I believe.

Mostly true.

For viewport in 3dsMax and 90perc. of CAD programs (the exception being Siemens NXT and some other obscure CADs, but not AutoCad for example), Quadro don't provide better performance under Nitrous/DX11.

The current Quadro benefits still stand elsewhere:

14bit color pipeline support (no, GTX do not support it because...nVidia, just because).
ECC memory- ECC does not add any stability by default, it enables error correction in very rare cycles that would only be important in serious scientific calculation. Rendering does not fall into this category.
Double floating point precision- same purpose as above, higher precision calculations. GPU rendering doesn't fall here either. This is crippled feature, as GTX/Titan could do it identically but it's "locked" away by nVIdia.
"Support" / "Special" Driver - Mostly marketing gimmicks, but could potentially be benefitial to software developer, but not end-user.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-12-24, 14:27:33
Reply #5

hrvojezg00

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.as-soba.com
Thanks for clearing that out, gtx980 will do.

2015-12-24, 14:46:37
Reply #6

atelieryork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atelier York
We did some fairly extensive direct testing of the 2 top-end Quadros here recently (M4000/5000) alongside our Titan Black and GTX970 machines and the quadros were not offering any increase in max performance at all outside of GPU-acellerated rendering (with IRAY). The GTX and Black were identical more or less in FPS performance in max, and reliability. The Quadros offer much more VRAM which is of course important if you're doing GPU-acellerated rendering and/or need to drive loads of 4k monitors. But the current GTX line all support multiple 4k monitors through DP anyway. For us, 10-bit colour is also not really a noticeable benefit over standard 8-bit. The longer warranties and support are nice but ultimately kind of pointless since the GTX line have great warranties and graphics cards tend not to go wrong even after years of heavy use. Then there's the cost...

Frankly, for the money the GTX line offers way, way better value for money. You go with Quadros because you need to. For everyone else I would stick with the GTX and use the saved money elsewhere in your pipeline.
Alex York
Atelier York
www.atelieryork.co.uk
max 2016 sp1, corona 1.3 final, win 8.1. pro