Author Topic: Reflection color in PhysicalMtl?  (Read 603 times)

2024-02-19, 00:53:13

Tom

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Since Corona switched from LegacyMtl to PhysicalMtl, I've learned to use PhysicalMtl and I'm generally happy with it, especially because it adds features that used to require the use of LayeredMtl for example. However, what I regret is the impossibility, as far as I know, to modify the color of a material's reflection because this option has simply disappeared.

Sometimes I want to assign a particular color to the reflection slot, which is possible with LegacyMtl but not with PhysicalMtl anymore. I know it's not a PBR approach, but from an artistic point of view, it's sometimes desirable.

Is there any way to alter the reflection color of a PhysicaMtl without altering the diffuse color as well?

Thanks,

2024-02-19, 01:04:17
Reply #1

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
I agree! It feels a bit limited.

My work-around is to use the clearcoat. It's not great, but if often suffices
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2024-02-19, 01:30:16
Reply #2

Tom

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, it can do the trick, but the result is still very different from LegacyMtl because the diffuse color is also affected by the clearcoat, but that's interesting, thanks.

As long as the developers keep the LegacyMtl in future versions of Corona, it's not a problem, but if it were to be abandoned in the long run, it would be an issue for me.

2024-02-19, 13:43:18
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
No plans to remove the Legacy material, it should be there forever :) Especially as old scenes use it, many Material Library materials use it, etc.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2024-02-20, 00:17:51
Reply #4

Tom

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No plans to remove the Legacy material, it should be there forever :) Especially as old scenes use it, many Material Library materials use it, etc.

Glad to know this, thanks TomG!

2024-02-20, 15:19:35
Reply #5

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
You are welcome!
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us