Author Topic: Render performance problem ... ( Threadripper 3970x )  (Read 2606 times)

2023-04-06, 19:59:14

3DInteriors

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • 3D Interiors
What is happening here .... ?
Daily Build 2023-04-03
Only this Scene.

2023-04-07, 10:52:05
Reply #1

masterzone

• Active Users
  • CGI Generalist since 1998
    • View Profile
    • ZuccherodiKanna
mmm...I think there is something wrong in the scene or some objects that overload the calculation...
Usually if you have a lot of RAY total but low ray actual, there is something in the scene...

What kind of object do you have in the scene? generators? displacement? many complex shaders?
| www.c4dzone.com
| Italian Maxon Training Center
| www.zuccherodikanna.com
| Italian based CGI Studio

2023-04-07, 21:03:17
Reply #2

3DInteriors

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • 3D Interiors
Lot of shaders, some large texture ...  6 M polygon.
I thought a computer with such performance should be able to handle this.

Threadripper 3970 x 32 core
64 GB 3200 Mhz RAM

2023-04-08, 16:35:38
Reply #3

MircoTosti Studio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
i've the same problem.
I also noticed that if you activate the caustics, the render times grow exponentially even by X10 despite activating the "Apply caustics only on these objects" parameter and not the whole scene.
My workstation is a 7950X with DDR5 5600mhz and HD Nvme pcie4.0.

2023-04-11, 15:17:40
Reply #4

Barendby

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I just had a look, my cpu usage stay under 50%......

2023-04-11, 16:09:34
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi, if you have some scenes where this is happening and you can share them, please do: https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

We have some ideas what might be causing this, but we would need to check it on our side.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2023-04-11, 16:34:40
Reply #6

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Since your username is 3DInteriors, I'll assume you have many other scenes that may be similar. How to those scenes perform on the Ripper?

A while back, I had a small interior scene that kept crashing. Turns out it was a couple of mesh points that some how got moved thousands of units off to the side. One simple way I've found to rule this possibility out, is to go to top view, select ALL OBJECTS, don't include Sky, Sun, etc. Now hit the O (oh) key to fit selection to the current view. If your scene fits nicely into view, this is not a problem. If your scene is very small and maybe off to the side and you see a little axis being show far away, you have something to investigate. I don't think Corona is designed to handle real-world scale on a massive basis like Unreal can do, so it just gets angry.

This is just a remote possibly, but thought I'd throw that out there.

2023-04-11, 18:21:46
Reply #8

3DInteriors

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • 3D Interiors

2023-04-11, 18:25:00
Reply #9

3DInteriors

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • 3D Interiors

2023-04-13, 09:11:28
Reply #10

Barendby

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sorry to hack this thread.... Is this something In windows or the PC?
I have 2x of the same machines, one at home and one at the office.
I notice the one at home render 100% utilization, the one at office I get almost 40% but the speed of cpu is also SUPER low......

I dont think I have rendered the same scens though... I will test this scene at home tonight but this is SUPER SLOW.
« Last Edit: 2023-04-13, 12:15:16 by Barendby »

2023-04-13, 17:20:16
Reply #11

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Are you monitoring your CPU temperature and are your RAM sticks installed according to the motherboard manual?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2023-04-14, 14:34:32
Reply #13

Konichowaa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
because only in this scene, I think it is related to the scene and not the cpu. I have one for a colleague and it runs impeccable.
But after over 20 minutes of rendering, I think it is unsusual to still have so much bright white noise.
I sometimes have the same when some elements have excessive bump/displacement and/or scenes don't have enough light.

here are just some ideas to try and see their effect:
- Sometimes when I convert max objects to c4d, the bump is 100% multipled giving 3000% instead of 30%, so check converted elements to test.
- see if the walls have serious bump and reduce to test
- try giving your scene more daylight. Eventually turn of curtains that block daylight to see if it helps or check the transparent curtains for ump/displacement
- disable adaptive light solver in corona render settings/perfomance tab
- do you have the same result when turning of the wall lamps?
- check for blurry refractions
Koen Van haesendonck
3D-lab - www.3d-lab.be

2023-04-20, 09:52:50
Reply #14

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
and often materials are way to strong reflective, in special when new physical is used.

make sure to reduce ior to a really low value like 1.05-1.2 for most materials (as we not have a reflection color anymore to reduce reflections like vray has).
this can lead to wierd results and slow and ugly renderings