Author Topic: Plastic Material  (Read 1095 times)

2021-08-13, 17:07:04

acrobaticpoly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • AcrobaticPoly
Hi everyone,

Wondering if any of you might be able to help me.
I'm trying to achieve the attached material, procedurally if possible but I'm not having much luck.
Does anyone know of any way of creating such a material - it sort of contains wispy stripes (dark blue and dark orange) with transparency in-between.

Many thanks in advance to anyone willing to help.
Cheers
Photos: https://vsco.co/egyptianblue/gallery
"I am out with lanterns, looking for myself."

2021-08-13, 17:23:38
Reply #1

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Not sure what the geometry looks like that you need to apply it too, but see attached, it's simply a stretched noise map in the diffuse (using Bercon Noise here but a standard noise map would do)

To get the transparency inbetween I guess you could copy the noise map into the refraction slot, reset it to black and white and adjust the size/tweak the settings until it looks right, but you could 100% do this procedurally?

2021-08-13, 17:31:35
Reply #2

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It kinda works just using another noise in the refraction slot, it's really just a case of noise maps and noise maps inside mask maps.  This is just done with one material too btw, you might be able to make it looks even better with a layered material.  Solid material in one slot, clear transparent material in the second slot with a noise map in the mask slot
« Last Edit: 2021-08-13, 17:36:20 by dj_buckley »

2021-08-14, 18:51:48
Reply #3

acrobaticpoly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • AcrobaticPoly
Really appreciate the quick response @dj_buckley. This is awesome, and amazingly simple.

I've had a quick go and I've managed to achieve something that looks a lot like then reference, but I noticed you where able to get the mapping to follow the direction of the object - how did you achieve that?

Whenever I apply the material to the object, it remains straight even when I add the Explicit Map channel to the Bercon Noise Mapping type.

Thank you again for your help!
« Last Edit: 2021-08-14, 18:55:29 by egyptianblue »
Photos: https://vsco.co/egyptianblue/gallery
"I am out with lanterns, looking for myself."

2021-08-15, 16:03:07
Reply #4

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well it's just a spline with thickness, and I turned on 'generate mapping coords' on the spline