Author Topic: "Borchia V8" - a fictional sports car at Goodwood  (Read 5438 times)

2019-07-24, 14:25:23

ollitei

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello all,

I am mainly a 3d modeller with a strong affinity to automotive design and to improve how I present my work I have recently started thinking of getting back into offline rendering. I am working in the video games industry and maybe because of that most of my personal projects have been created with real-time rendering in mind and even though real-time has evolved with leaps and bounds I am after for that bit more detailed and accurate lighting and reflections for the individual renders. Previously I have used mental ray and recalling that I had heard a lot of good things about Corona I decided to get the trial version and give it a go! So far I have managed to find my way around Corona just by poking around trying things and watching videos based on what I have been after but I am sure when something gnarlier comes up I hope I can count on the help from this forum here!

Now that we are past the introduction, I would like to present my first Corona project. I decided to post it here in this section because I feel it's a rather simple scene with a simple lighting and it is my first Corona project after all. It's a model of a fictional sports car that I created a few years ago, now set into a drive-by on the Goodwood Festival of Speed hill climb. I shot the back plate photos myself earlier this July. The goal was to create a series of images that look convincing enough to give the feeling of "Wait, did I miss something at the event?" or "Whoa, what car is that?" but mainly to familiarise myself with Corona and test how well it meshes with Substance Painter (=really well).

The scene is a simple road and simple hay bales just so that they show up on the reflections on the car paint. Car is animated to move past the stationary camera to get the correct kind of motion blur onto the car as it goes past. Lighting is done with a cloudy hdri and a CoronaSun only.
It would be greatly appreciated if you would let me know what you think about these images!

Here's a link to see the same car model rendered on Sketchfab: https://skfb.ly/6LZRP

2019-07-25, 20:07:12
Reply #1

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Interesting images, great job! I appreciate the description that came with the images too, +1 for that one too :)

One thing I'd look into though is maybe improving the car paint further because it looks too perfect right now. Things like micro bump, uneven paint and some dirt would go a long way imho.

If you do go for that I'd also consider an extra angle that has a bit more action in it. Not that the current compositions are bad, I just kind of wanted to see something more going on as I scrolled through them one by one.

Hope that helps :) Really great job especially given its your first time working with Corona!
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2019-07-29, 10:16:42
Reply #2

ollitei

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the comment!

However, I would like to point out though that it is a new car in a rather expensive price point, so adding in uneven paint would seem very much out-of-place for such a car in my opinion. I do agree, adding some slight dirt would have a been nice and plausible detail! But at least for now, I will leave this set of four images as is but I am going to produce some more renders with different scenes where I get to play more with the car paint and lighting. The most recent one is attached onto this message!