Author Topic: Pricing and release date announced  (Read 190845 times)

2014-10-07, 23:33:29
Reply #30

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Yes, I am also discussing my opinions on general pricing models that would force us to purposefully defer development to get funding ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-10-08, 00:16:22
Reply #31

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@aleeriza I don't hink Keymaster is saying that what you say is bullshit, I think what he is saying is that this type of model is bullshit, and I agree with him, usually features are progressively developed and companies hide them until they have enough features to justify a release (lately they don't accumulate too much or good features... they are a bit shameless) and then charge your for a 2.0

IMHO the new model proposed here is better, there are still some things in the air like the proposed renewal price at a point release or the subs price for Box customers, that is a very interesting point.

I also agree that a few more render nodes could be great, or at least a way to adding render nodes in a cheap way.

Anyway, they've done their numbers, I think they are pretty fair and good pricing, even when I noted my opinion on it, it's a personal feeling, but it still is fair, and they have to maintain development to achieve more speed, more features, more quality, and the've proved to all of us that they are very capable of doing that, and they've proved also that they are a fair trade company, they don't want to turn gold on us, but live and create, and this pricing model does that I think.

I also think that the SaaS price is a bit high, but once again, they have numbers and they've made me trust them, so if those are the numbers they nee to maintain a continuous development in such quality, speed and customer relationship, i think it's fair.

Cheers.

2014-10-08, 00:24:24
Reply #32

mrsacan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I understand that, but I'm hoping the get bug fixes (not new features) even after 90 days.

Also, another question for F.A.Q (this is a common one though, not corona-specific) ;
How's license gonna work for situations like setting up new pc, reformatting, stolen pc/laptop etc?

2014-10-08, 00:57:53
Reply #33

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
those 90 days were meant for new features. Bugfixes are... aargh, this is getting complicated, why cannot everyone just use SaaS?! :(
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-10-08, 01:27:39
Reply #34

mrsacan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
why cannot everyone just use SaaS?! :(

If you don't have regular customers you may have trouble about paying subscriptions. SaaS pretty good for well-known individuals, professionals and companies. But for guys like me (getting freelance jobs pretty irregularly) it's mostly a risky deal.

On the other hand I love to use my apps up-to-date like most of you. Soo.. :/

2014-10-08, 01:43:05
Reply #35

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
but it is exactly the opposite! With box, you need to put all your money up front. You basically need to say "I am confident I will make enough money in next 2 years to pay off this investment". But with SaaS, you don't need to do that. You pay only for months where you actually have a job. You need to be sure about the next month, not next 2 years. You are free to cancel if you dont have any clients and resume once you get them - at least with our fair SaaS ;).

2014-10-08, 01:46:44
Reply #36

dancem

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello there!

I have 7 PCs in my home render-farm, and planning to increase count to 10 (1 main PC + 9 render nodes). It not working as commercial render-farm. I am using it for my personal projects and for some commercial from time to time. So I want to ask, how much licenses I will need to buy to be able to use Corona on my PCs?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 2014-10-08, 01:51:28 by dancem »

2014-10-08, 01:53:25
Reply #37

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
you will need to buy 3 licences. You will then be able to run Corona on 12 computers at once, with at most 3 of them being workstations

2014-10-08, 02:35:54
Reply #38

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Keymaster you have to think about the box license as a tool that you own.

There are times when you don't have a penny an you will get paid 90 days after you finish the job, this means that if you have the Box license you can work, but if you don't you can't and that is the risky part, that's why a bigger initial investment is preferred, because you own the tool, maybe it is not up to date because you don't have money for the subs, but you can work.

That is why I prefer the box license over SaaS, for my farm I may use the SaaS, but I need to have a minimum of one box license to work with peace of mind.

Anyway, why don't you include one year of support? The box license is more expensive than the SaaS, 1 year of SaaS is 300€, so it's cheaper than the box one, so keep the box users up to date during one year,after that ask for yearly subs or they can be locked with their version or pay the update in the next point release.

Thinkbox manages this pretty well, I have a yearly subs, paying it in one time is hard, so they divide my payment in 3, 6 or 12 months to help me, but they receive their payment and I'm up to date, if I don't pay, I can be left as I am, no bug fixes, no new features, or I can pay for an upgrade later wich is a bit more expensive than the subs, but I can do it whenever I want.

This is basically including the first subs year in the box license.

Hope this ideas helps a bit.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: 2014-10-08, 02:39:17 by juang3d »

2014-10-08, 02:39:24
Reply #39

Fythos

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It seems there is a few 'glitches' to be worked around the payment to be fixed so it could benefit a wider range of users, or not..

However i wish to thank Keymaster and the others of Corona Team for the work they have done not only for making a incredible tool but also for trying their best on making it affordable and easy to get for most of us. I don't have deep pockets and was a bit scared about the price of Corona and these initial news are great for me and for most of us who use Corona i think.

Again, thanks guys!

2014-10-08, 02:48:04
Reply #40

dubiella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Unloop Filmes
I liked! The price is fair! I'll pay for it, without question!
but... may I have the same "problem" that dancem... and that is a good point!
On the company I work, we have 10 computers... and exactly 3 users... ok... then I'll acquire 3 licenses and I get 12 render nodes... ok fine! nice!

But also I have on my home 5 machines counting with my laptop!...
I'm one user... this way looks like others big companies they sell to other big companies... like... pushing what you're not really need
I really really know that is not the case! and that is why we have this thread.
but maybe you can consider be more flexible about the render nodes... I don't know...
On this days HD, Ultra HD, 2k 4k... every day is more difficult to get the job done... in the other hands, machines is every time more cheaper...

That is just a thought...

I still like the news!!
« Last Edit: 2014-10-08, 02:52:54 by dubiella »
CG Supervisor At Unloop Filmes.

2014-10-08, 03:04:25
Reply #41

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
There are times when you don't have a penny an you will get paid 90 days after you finish the job, this means that if you have the Box license you can work, but if you don't you can't and that is the risky part, that's why a bigger initial investment is preferred, because you own the tool, maybe it is not up to date because you don't have money for the subs, but you can work.

Well... instead of paying the box price you could set the money aside and use it paying saas later, or pay 1 year saas in advance... I understand the fear, but it is not an unsolvable problem ;)

2014-10-08, 03:19:05
Reply #42

dancem

• Active Users
    • View Profile
you will need to buy 3 licences. You will then be able to run Corona on 12 computers at once, with at most 3 of them being workstations
So in my case, it will be 75 EURO for Corona per month, = 900 EURO per year (for personal/non-commercial use). Or 1350 EURO for the box versions (for year or two, before next upgrade)...
Thanks, but that is too high for me.
Sad news :(

2014-10-08, 03:58:50
Reply #43

snakebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Snakebox Media
So in my case, it will be 75 EURO for Corona per month, = 900 EURO per year (for personal/non-commercial use). Or 1350 EURO for the box versions (for year or two, before next upgrade)...
Thanks, but that is too high for me.
Sad news :(

Yeeeaaaahhh...  not as cheap as I hoped when they said it will be very affordable. I thought they were going to actually really compete with Vray. We badly need to be able to buy individual (or bundles) or render nodes only at a reasonable price.  the 1-3 ratio gets awkward really quickly for most small - medium companies.

2014-10-08, 08:25:03
Reply #44

rampally

• Active Users
    • View Profile
THANKS keymaster not for price release  however its cool
but for ggx shader implementation