Author Topic: 3DS MAX 1017: new UI (new icons, again?!) and new "ART" renderer engine...  (Read 29647 times)

2016-03-30, 15:17:26
Reply #15

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
you cannot say just 2014, you need to add the SP version you are using in this release ;). If I remember correctly, 2014 was the "choose the least objectionable bug" when it came to service packs ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-03-30, 15:34:57
Reply #16

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
you cannot say just 2014, you need to add the SP version you are using in this release ;). If I remember correctly, 2014 was the "choose the least objectionable bug" when it came to service packs ;)

Isn't the same with max 2016? :]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-03-30, 15:49:41
Reply #17

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks

That's fair. It's the "Ok, this should have been the release version" SP :) The last one (shortly before the 2015 release :D ).

It's the same with every release of max :D At some point, 8 or 9 months after the initial release you can have a look if the last service pack now made it usable :)
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2016-03-30, 16:00:08
Reply #18

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

2016 for me is just that one bug - crashes in viewport that are masked so user does not see them. But developers see them and it fucks up any debugging :/
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-03-30, 16:01:04
Reply #19

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

That's fair. It's the "Ok, this should have been the release version" SP :) The last one (shortly before the 2015 release :D ).

Afaik the last one is "Now backburner does not work properly" ;)

2016-03-30, 16:03:37
Reply #20

fellazb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yea, crazy to see how many people (I think) stick to the old stable releases. I work with MAX (design) 2014 and for me it's the most stable version with external plugins I ever worked with (including SP's of course :) )

People forcing to pay yearly subscription, otherwise losing the "great amount of discount" is such a thread (not to mention the crazy currency strategy). Every time when subscription paying time kicks in I'm thinking of leaving it behind and work with my last paid version and perhaps get a new license after 5 years or so, but it's becoming too much of a gamble nowadays...

Looking forward to the 2017 release though :)

2016-03-30, 16:14:40
Reply #21

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Afaik the last one is "Now backburner does not work properly" ;)

Backburner itself never worked properly - so there is not really much they could have screwed up :) . We're using Deadline (and every other sane person I know). If you render a couple of thousand frames a month it pays off quickly - especially since the bills for hospitals and broken furniture went down dramatically :)
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2016-03-30, 19:59:36
Reply #22

Chakib

• Active Users
  • Corona Omnomnomer !
    • View Profile
Why do I feel  Autodesk is killing Max  slowly even If it's used by a lot of companies and artists?
I feel like seeing an extension more than a complete new release, Maybe I'm wrong but reading comments in their forum like  a liquid sim (I guess Naida or something) will be implemented in Maya rather than Max and lot of people were hoping uselessly... The new UI reminds me of Microsoft and their win10 compared to win7 :/.

Anyway let's wait and see if they are hiding something we don't know that deserves our attention, because seriously I'm not impressed !

« Last Edit: 2016-03-30, 20:05:12 by Chakib »

2016-03-30, 20:13:37
Reply #23

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The new UI reminds me of Microsoft and their win10

What :- D Windows10 might be the very best looking UI existing right now. If only Autodesk adopted some of those (flat design) principles when designing those icons, it wouldn't resemble something from WindowsXP era (which Win7 users apparently must be in love). Holy colors&gradients...

I do hope it really is 4k-ready/High PPI displays though at least.

I am very intrigued how the Physical material looks. Maybe if it's good implementation, there would be no need for dedicated CoronaPBR shader, we could just adopt that one. But the guy who made screenshot didn't bothered to click on the actual shader so we instead got to see the multi-tile...
Can anyone make screenshot of it please ?

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-03-30, 20:38:07
Reply #24

Chakib

• Active Users
  • Corona Omnomnomer !
    • View Profile
What :- D Windows10 might be the very best looking UI existing right now. If only Autodesk adopted some of those (flat design) principles when designing those icons, it wouldn't resemble something from WindowsXP era (which Win7 users apparently must be in love). Holy colors&gradients...

I do hope it really is 4k-ready/High PPI displays though at least.

I am very intrigued how the Physical material looks. Maybe if it's good implementation, there would be no need for dedicated CoronaPBR shader, we could just adopt that one. But the guy who made screenshot didn't bothered to click on the actual shader so we instead got to see the multi-tile...
Can anyone make screenshot of it please ?

When I say win10 I know the UI is nice yes, but they forgot about stability when it was first released compared to win7 or even win8.1 ( I know that one is updated lol ), I've tried it and I was amazed by the dark style buttons  etc but after a single day total mess was happening to my softwares etc and lot of people was like going back to win7, So for me UI was like a new "fancy UI change" and that's it... I just don't want it to crash max even more  than being  beautiful that's just my two cents :D

Hope to see it released this week so I can test it and remove that fear :D

2016-03-30, 20:55:48
Reply #25

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Ah you meant stability. Always clean install :- ).

I too wonder how the claims of instability after any customization attempt of 2017 UI are exaggerated, hopefully it's not that bad.

It's going to be released so early this year ?
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-03-30, 21:06:27
Reply #26

Paul Jones

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Trust me they've  put a lot of work into the UI, and yes the main reason is for 4K monitors etc. IIRC the icons are available somewhere in an AI file format so scaling should no longer be an issue.
Not sure of the reasons for the art renderer, I think it's time adesk just stuck with one thing and developed it. But you can now buy iray and mr so read into that what you will.

2016-03-30, 22:50:54
Reply #27

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No matter how cool or great ART is. If mr isn't free, but an add on to buy, then this could be a serious workflow/collaboration killer - directly against all the effort AD made the last 6 years.

There must be serious reasons for screwing costumers that way....l

2016-03-31, 00:06:04
Reply #28

Paul Jones

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think MR is actually included with 2017, but noticed on the mr/iray websites they are available for purchase which seems odd.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/iray-for-3ds-max.html
Mental ray is now installed separately (as a sub-component). so my mistake there.

2016-03-31, 08:33:59
Reply #29

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
Am I the only one that is kinda looking forward to that new UI / icons? :D

I was totally in love with Maya 2016 UI and so sad when I noticed that my Max 2016 didn't get the same update.

Other then that - I have a feeling they will occasionally merge Max and Maya to create one single 3D package - probably by "killing" off Max on the way.

I would be so sad if that happens since I have tried to use Maya so many times but because of it's workflow I would always come back to Max (it just wouldn't feel right after using Max since version 4..)
My 3d stock portfolio - http://3docean.net/user/tomislavn