Author Topic: Having trouble to create stainless steel  (Read 6819 times)

2015-08-25, 16:36:28

Taz

• Users
    • View Profile
Hello everybody,

I'm new to Corona, I started to work with it in the begin of August and I have some trouble to set up correctly a stainless steel material.

I have an island to do in a kitchen project, and the stainless steel will be the same that the one you can see on the photo.

I don't know how to create something similar. I tried many different ways but I'm not satisfied with it, and I don't master enough the material editor on 3ds max (started at the same time than Corona) to know exactly where to start to have something I'm happy with.

So, hope somebody can help me with this ;)

Thanks a lot !

2015-08-25, 18:30:09
Reply #1

-Ben-Battler-

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Without trying I would make this guess:

Diffuse Color: ca. 50, 50, 50
Full Reflection (Strength: 100, White Color)
Fresnel IOR: ca. 5.0
Glossiness: Falloff Map: Front Color: ca. 220, 220, 220; Back Color: 255, 255, 255; Falloff Type: Fresnel

Additionally I would insert some Noise Map or similar into the back Color of the Fresnel Map with Color Values floating around 220.

But as I said, this is just from my guts.

Ben
Visit boxel

2015-08-26, 12:24:42
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I tried recreating this yesterday but it is quite tricky indeed. Such materials are very dependent on the environment so it would be best to model a similar room with similar lighting conditions and then experiment with the shader on various surfaces. I think that this material has a bit of diffuse color in it (as if it was "dusty"), requires some detailed, non-uniform glossiness map, and as Ben wrote - its glossiness changes based on viewing angle (well this happens for most real life materials and Corona already handles this, but it could be amplified with the falloff map).
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-08-26, 12:43:20
Reply #3

Taz

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

First, thanks for your help ! Very appreciated.

I tried with the settings of Ben, and it's look more like silver than what I desire but it still better than what i've done ;)

For now, the project have changed, so the island is a different one, and no more stainless steel.. But I will need it for some future project, so, at the end of the current project, I will recreate a similar room and make some test with different set up, and let you know if I make something close to reality.

Do you think that the plugin "ComplexFresnel" developed by SigerStudio could help in this case? I discovered it yesterday, I need to see how it works in detail first and test it, but maybe you guys have already used it?

2015-08-28, 13:49:49
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
My attempts. Not 100% satisfied but I think there is potential in it. :) Let me know if you think it is ok enough that you would like to see the material itself.

2015-08-28, 14:05:44
Reply #5

Taz

• Users
    • View Profile
My attempts. Not 100% satisfied but I think there is potential in it. :) Let me know if you think it is ok enough that you would like to see the material itself.

Let's say 99% instead of 100 satisfied !

The material looks great, at least it's enough realistic for now ;)

Yes, I would like to see the settings of the material, for sure ! Thanks for time you spent on it :)

2015-08-28, 14:35:11
Reply #6

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Here is the file. I used CoronaLayered material so you will need a post-1.2.1 daily build for this.
The 2 bitmaps were posted as free but please make sure before using them commercially. ;) They were added as test anyway so there is ugly mapping and tiling, you will need to replace them. The whole config is pretty dirty.

2015-08-28, 14:48:34
Reply #7

-Ben-Battler-

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I tried with the settings of Ben, and it's look more like silver than what I desire but it still better than what i've done ;)

After trying for myself I was thinking the same thing. IOR has to be lower definitely.
Visit boxel

2015-08-28, 18:13:09
Reply #8

Adanmq

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • 3D Collective
Hi. I made a very Quick & Dirt shader it´s very simple and you can use it as a base for your shader. Mine it´s maybe to reflective.

You can decrease reflection or remove reflection tint by just changing the base reflectivity color, and adjust glossy by changing the 2 output nodes or just remove the nodes and use a single map for glossy.

In this type of material light it´s very important, try to recreate the one from the reference.

Hope it can help you.

Looks like scene file it´s too big for attach. Here is the link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bys9_iWhCgvfV2J1OHJyR0JIM2c/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: 2015-08-28, 18:19:21 by Adanmq »

2015-08-28, 23:57:27
Reply #9

Taz

• Users
    • View Profile
Here is the file. I used CoronaLayered material so you will need a post-1.2.1 daily build for this.
The 2 bitmaps were posted as free but please make sure before using them commercially. ;) They were added as test anyway so there is ugly mapping and tiling, you will need to replace them. The whole config is pretty dirty.

Thanks a lot Maru.

I will try it on a kitchen soon, I have a project with this. I'll post the final render when it's done !

Hi. I made a very Quick & Dirt shader it´s very simple and you can use it as a base for your shader. Mine it´s maybe to reflective.

You can decrease reflection or remove reflection tint by just changing the base reflectivity color, and adjust glossy by changing the 2 output nodes or just remove the nodes and use a single map for glossy.

In this type of material light it´s very important, try to recreate the one from the reference.

Hope it can help you.

Looks like scene file it´s too big for attach. Here is the link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bys9_iWhCgvfV2J1OHJyR0JIM2c/view?usp=sharing

Thanks too, I will test it soon and see if I can adapt it to make something looking good with :)