Author Topic: mayaToCorona 0.35  (Read 8848 times)

2015-01-18, 14:40:24

haggi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

there is a new release with a few new features. I modified the UI behaviour a bit so the common globals should behave hopefully better with other renderer plugins like vray and arnold. This release introduces light linking. Light linking does not yet work with corona geometry lights which are mostly shader based what is a general problem. But I try to find a way.
Render regions should work better now, even if there is an outline which I cannot get rid of at the moment. Pressing esc during translation process will now result in a correct intterupt, but only after the translation is complete, I'll try to improve this.

release 0.35
- fixed sun size crash with limits. #152
- negative bump map value was not recognized. #153
- switched common globals ui to new system. #155
- shader nodes are not deleted any more if inputs are deleted. #159
- added near/far clipping to camera.
- fixed camera roll.
- fixed single channel textures in OSL. #156
- added camera view projections. #165
- fixed particle instancer bug. #154
- implemented light linking. #167
- fixed render region with test resolution change crash #162
- implemented imageFilePrefix #166
- improved region rendering
- pressing esc during translation process works better

2015-01-19, 06:17:24
Reply #1

max45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi!
-Opening Render Settings occurs without errors.
-Now particle instancer works fine.
-Near/far clipping to camera not working. Disappearing objects...

2015-01-19, 06:45:01
Reply #2

Hamburger

• Active Users
    • View Profile
- coronaSurfaces under vp2 looks like it permanently has "xray mode on" - or at least on a quadro the shader is corrupting the appearance of the mesh. (.34 and earlier didn't have this issue). I can workaround by setting VP2 to use "depth peeling" with a quality of 1 to fix it. The same issue doesn't happen with other renders.
- sun + sky is "stuck" changing the sun position no longer changes the sky colour/sun brightness/sun color/sun shadow etc...
- turning off "simple exposure" breaks some sort of light linking with HDRI or physical sky. at least there is a discrepancy in actual lighting (not exposure) between the two modes.
- Simple exposure on 1 is really bright with sun + sky and lowering to as low as .000001 doesn't make much difference.
Maya 2016
Windows 10

2015-01-19, 09:35:33
Reply #3

haggi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
-Near/far clipping to camera not working. Disappearing objects...
Ah.... yes. It seems I forgot to take the scene/renderer scale into account. You could try to multiply the near far clip planes with 100. That may work. I'll fix it.

2015-01-19, 09:39:36
Reply #4

haggi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
- coronaSurfaces under vp2 looks like it permanently has "xray mode on" - or at least on a quadro the shader is corrupting the appearance of the mesh. (.34 and earlier didn't have this issue). I can workaround by setting VP2 to use "depth peeling" with a quality of 1 to fix it. The same issue doesn't happen with other renders.
- sun + sky is "stuck" changing the sun position no longer changes the sky colour/sun brightness/sun color/sun shadow etc...
- turning off "simple exposure" breaks some sort of light linking with HDRI or physical sky. at least there is a discrepancy in actual lighting (not exposure) between the two modes.
- Simple exposure on 1 is really bright with sun + sky and lowering to as low as .000001 doesn't make much difference.
The VP2 problem is interesting. I didn't touch the Shader code in this release. I'll have a closer look. From Ondra, I got the information that a simple exposure of -5 results in a correct illumination, it is supposed to be overbright with default exposure.
Would it be possible to give me an example of the HDRI/physical sky problem and "simple expsure"?

2015-01-19, 14:28:34
Reply #5

gazh

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Haggi

Again, really grateful for all the hard work.  It has been a few version since I've been able to look at it, just not had time.  Integration is starting to feel great though.  I'm not getting any warnings or anything now.

Just a UI issue for the moment in that the dock attribute editor for shaders doesn't scroll but runs behind the time line.  Undocking still runs off my screen so I can't see all the attributes available.

I'll keep testing though and see what else comes up!

Thanks again.

Gaz

2015-01-19, 14:35:26
Reply #6

gazh

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Haggi

Just a UI issue for the moment in that the dock attribute editor for shaders doesn't scroll but runs behind the time line.  Undocking still runs off my screen so I can't see all the attributes available.

Ignore me completely.  Was just a bug with my session and happened to coincidentally arise on my first run of 0.35

All seems well

Gaz

2015-01-20, 00:17:56
Reply #7

Hamburger

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The VP2 problem is interesting. I didn't touch the Shader code in this release. I'll have a closer look.

Yes, a coincidence - windows updated my drivers the same night I switched to .35. However I reverted back to the Autodesk certified drivers for a Quadro 2000 and Maya 2015 (332.21) and Corona .34 and the problem is there. I thought it might be an error on my end, but CoronaSurface is the only shader doing this. VRayMtl, lambert, mia all behave under VP2. I also notice that CoronaSurface is significantly slower (at least on a Quadro) than other shaders but again it may just be me.

From Ondra, I got the information that a simple exposure of -5 results in a correct illumination, it is supposed to be overbright with default exposure.

Yes, my error - I accidentally had Simple exposure AND Sky multiplier set to 1 which produces very overexposed images. Maybe the sky multiplier should be default 1 because it really confused me that the default is actually .1?

Would it be possible to give me an example of the HDRI/physical sky problem and "simple expsure"?

I have attached two renders. One is using "Simple Exposure" other "camera" defined exposure. Both have exact same sun + sky settings and I matched both exposures via the sky as close as possible. Yet in both renders there is a BIG discrepancy in reflection strength and the GI under the eaves of the building. I don't expect to be such a difference in rendering (unless I'm interpreting Corona or some more settings wrong). :)

I have created a test scene, when rendering notice the difference in the fresnel reflections on the glass sphere and also the shadow strength from the cube (when toggling simple exposure on and off).

(I render to color gamma of 1 and use Maya's new color management feature in Maya's render view which seems to work really well with Corona if you render the attached scene)
« Last Edit: 2015-01-20, 00:24:38 by Hamburger »
Maya 2016
Windows 10

2015-01-20, 00:23:21
Reply #8

Hamburger

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I can't figure out how to get the HDRI to work at all :(
(I turned off convert sRGB to Linear)

Using a free one from CGSKies.com:

Maya 2016
Windows 10

2015-01-20, 09:43:17
Reply #9

haggi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I recommend to put the hdri on a large sphere and use the corona light shader for this sphere. The current color connection in the environment settings is quite limited at the moment.

2015-01-20, 17:31:54
Reply #10

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I recommend to put the hdri on a large sphere and use the corona light shader for this sphere. The current color connection in the environment settings is quite limited at the moment.

This will be significantly slower than proper environment implementation.

2015-01-20, 21:58:42
Reply #11

haggi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'll see what I can do.

2015-01-20, 22:08:06
Reply #12

haggi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sorry, this image is not helpful because I have no idea how it should look like. Did you use an exr file or a hdr file? Hdr's are not supported.

2015-01-21, 02:19:11
Reply #13

snakebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Snakebox Media
Sorry, this image is not helpful because I have no idea how it should look like. Did you use an exr file or a hdr file? Hdr's are not supported.

is there any real difference technically between using exr and hdr ?

2015-01-21, 03:00:18
Reply #14

Hamburger

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I was attempting to light a test scene like this (Rendered in VRay with just one single domelight). Both Corona and VRay are using the same file. But what you said makes sense. I understand if it isn't supported yet. :)

Maya 2016
Windows 10