Author Topic: Shadow Density  (Read 8414 times)

2016-05-31, 22:15:55

darrentomkins

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Stupid one...

In max it's easy to adjust your shadow density and make it darker or lighter but where in Corona do you achieve that?

2016-05-31, 22:37:03
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
There's no equivalent setting, as this would be a non-physical approach (Corona works out how much light is hitting the surface based on physical laws). I'd say for this you'd go with adjusting Exposure, Contrast and similar in the VFB (or in post), or adjusting the lighting set-up to stop so much light getting into the shadows. Depending on what the scene is, you might add an AO pass to "fake" things. Hope this helps!
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2016-05-31, 23:13:34
Reply #2

darrentomkins

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi TomG,

Thought as much, i've upped the value of the AO and used that a bit. Thanks for the reply. Waiting with bated breath for the other post your'e helping me on at the mo :)

2016-05-31, 23:15:31
Reply #3

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Hi,
try the latest daily build - it comes with experimental Filmic mapping, which has a "shadow richness" parameter
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-06-01, 00:21:03
Reply #4

darrentomkins

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Magnificent, where do I download it and will it affect my license?

2016-06-01, 01:16:44
Reply #5

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
I tried the new Filmic highlights. But, in my opinion, it ruins the image. It compress only the very bight area of the image. And the rest of the rendering will remain the same.
With Highlight compress, the entire image is compressed and the result is more uniform, better quality of the lights.
Maybe I didn't understand how to use it =)

Filmic shadow is a little bit more interesting and it makes the rendering more contrasted.  It's similar to the "S curve" in Photoshop.

2016-06-01, 12:23:23
Reply #6

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Magnificent, where do I download it and will it affect my license?
Hi, the answer is here: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000570015
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-06-01, 13:04:26
Reply #7

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
With Highlight compress, the entire image is compressed and the result is more uniform, better quality of the lights.
Correct, but also loses saturation as a result. Filmic was made to adress the problem of either having desaturated colors or too many uncompressed highlights.
Some devs from uncharted made a presentation about it, slide 53 onward is your friend.

But I don't like it either :D
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )