Author Topic: Post-Communist Winter  (Read 4620 times)

2020-01-03, 10:13:04

Michał Morzy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Blok studio
Hi!

Every year we prepare a personal project that is more or less related to Christmas. This year we decided to do something different.

The scene was inspired by early childhood memories from the 90's in Poland. It was the time of the fall of communism and the first steps in the world of capitalism. Time of transformation of  the system and mentality of people. Still, especially in the provinces, the country was backward and undeveloped. We tried to catch the mood of the winter scenery of the Polish countryside from those years. Do you smell the frost and smoke from coal-fired heating stoves?

All models and geometry were created in-house.

Localization: Somewere in post-communist Poland
Software: 3Ds Max / Corona Renderer / Photoshop

Full project on behance: https://www.behance.net/gallery/90100101/Post-Communist-winter

2020-01-03, 16:51:33
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Beautiful. You can still easily find places like this, probably even with the EB logo and the old bus stop sign. :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-01-03, 17:48:12
Reply #2

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
That shot of the telephone pole is really great! Is the light source using and IES profile? Is the fog all in camera?

2020-01-04, 14:14:25
Reply #3

peterguthrie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Peter Guthrie Visualisation

2020-01-04, 15:42:47
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Very nice! The only thing i don't like, is how unrealisticly sags the cable that goes from a pole to the building. Actually it is very easy to plausibly sag the lines in 3ds max. You just need to draw straight line from one end to another, make sure that both vertices is set to corner, then didvide line's segment in two, set middle vertex to smooth and drag it strictly vertically down. That's it. I don't know if that's matematically accurate, but it sure looks plausible.

I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2020-03-23, 12:36:46
Reply #5

Michał Morzy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Blok studio
Sorry guys, I haven't been here for a while. Thank you for all your comments.

Beautiful. You can still easily find places like this, probably even with the EB logo and the old bus stop sign. :)

Thank you @maru!

That shot of the telephone pole is really great! Is the light source using and IES profile? Is the fog all in camera?

@cjwidd
Yes, we used some IES on the pole to have more visible shape of the illumination. All of the fog was Corona Global Volumetric. It was added extra from the render element i some parts to have more variation or depth.

love it, how is it lit?

@peterguthrie
We used na HDRI for global illumination. If I recall correctly it was one from 3DCollective package. But most of the atmosphere was made by Volumetric and artificial lights inside the budiling, lamp post etc.
I am really glad to like it!

Very nice! The only thing i don't like, is how unrealisticly sags the cable that goes from a pole to the building. Actually it is very easy to plausibly sag the lines in 3ds max. You just need to draw straight line from one end to another, make sure that both vertices is set to corner, then didvide line's segment in two, set middle vertex to smooth and drag it strictly vertically down. That's it. I don't know if that's matematically accurate, but it sure looks plausible.

@romullus

We used the same principle, but maybe the point we moved down, wasn't in the middle in this case. I hope it doesn't pop up too much :)

2020-03-23, 19:58:41
Reply #6

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Cool !

Only remark... street light were not that bright in the Communist era. :))))

2020-03-23, 22:17:59
Reply #7

Michał Morzy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Blok studio
Cool !

Don’t underestimate soviet technology! :)

2020-03-24, 15:19:41
Reply #8

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Cool !

Don’t underestimate soviet technology! :)

You are cool, man! :)
I don´t underestimate it. Also grew up in one of the eastern countries.

Greetings!