Author Topic: Corona 5!  (Read 6115 times)

2019-11-05, 22:03:42

peterguthrie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Peter Guthrie Visualisation
Great work Corona team!

Corona 5 is a massive step forward, overall ram usage, faster caustics, and of course 2.5d displacement. Really impressive considering the short development period.

2019-11-05, 23:10:00
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you Peter - for those kinds words, for testing the dailies and giving feedback during development - and for letting me use your quote too of course :) It means a lot when people can hear from a professional of your standing as to how well the changes work in real production environments. Great to hear it is working so well, and looking forward to seeing everything you will create with it!
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-11-06, 16:14:35
Reply #2

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
Haven't tested out yet, but during installation the window goes blank unless you hold and drag the window slide bar to the right. Might want to fix that as it makes it appear that the install is frozen when it isn't.

2019-11-06, 16:49:59
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Haven't tested out yet, but during installation the window goes blank unless you hold and drag the window slide bar to the right. Might want to fix that as it makes it appear that the install is frozen when it isn't.

Doesn't happen here - rather than post as a reply to someone else's thread, where devs are unlikely to see it, I'd post that under the Bug Reports thread or open a ticket; more info would be needed too, such as Max version, OS version, and so on. See https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000524006-how-to-report-issues-3ds-max

2019-11-06, 17:48:23
Reply #4

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Can't wait to test the release version on C4D / Mac.

By the way, any news on the problem with bad denoising on bump maps & rounded edges when using the Corona quality filter ?

Yesterday I purchased a scene for test purposes from A. Ferretti.
The scene had literally almost NO bump maps and NO rounded edges-maps in it.
I guess the problem mentioned might be the reason why he avoided bump & rounded edges while Corona Quality denoiser was set as standard.

Yesterday I made one more test in another scene... even at noise level 3 !!!, the corners of the Room (round edges map) were still super noisy.

When are devs going to make that work?

2019-11-06, 17:54:01
Reply #5

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
As before - rather than post as a reply to someone else's thread, where devs are unlikely to see it, I'd post that under the Bug Reports thread or open a ticket. See https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000524006-how-to-report-issues-3ds-max

2019-11-06, 18:19:49
Reply #6

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just chiming in to second the praise, awesome job, it's running here already. Many thanks to the team, you guys are the best!

2019-11-06, 18:48:21
Reply #7

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As before - rather than post as a reply to someone else's thread, where devs are unlikely to see it, I'd post that under the Bug Reports thread or open a ticket. See https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000524006-how-to-report-issues-3ds-max

Hey Tom, you are of course right...

Since I reported this issue almost a year ago (several times) - and since that no improvement happened, I thought I give it one more try here... :)))

2019-11-06, 19:04:55
Reply #8

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Heh - I'd grab that original post, or reply to the ticket, and go "Hey! What's the news?" as a reply/bump there, to keep it clearly in view of support and devs :) Do keep up the reminders!

Of course, we're not saying "Only post positive stuff!", just saying "Post the problems, criticisms, and requests in the places where they will be seen, tracked, measured for importance, and responded to" (just in case anyone was wondering).

2019-11-06, 19:16:59
Reply #9

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I can only say positive things about Corona, never had any issues with round corners, excesive noise or just about anything. The only thing i can complain about, is my old PC, with its limited RAM and Corona 5 did largely adressed that :] So thank you Team for your hard and dedicated work!
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-11-06, 19:41:00
Reply #10

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile

Hi,

This seems to be an issue which relates to running the installer on Windows 7.. I agree it is pretty confusing and it is already logged.

It does however work correctly on Windows 10.

Cheers
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2019-11-06, 19:57:37
Reply #11

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
Hi,

This seems to be an issue which relates to running the installer on Windows 7.. I agree it is pretty confusing and it is already logged.

It does however work correctly on Windows 10.

Cheers
Thanks. Made a ticket for it just in case. Sorry if this derailed the thread in any way...
but to get back on track I must say all the displacement improvements are something that I really needed to a particular scene so I'm hoping it makes my life easier once I try it out. Glad to see such progress with the engine as always!

2019-11-06, 22:09:30
Reply #12

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Heh - I'd grab that original post, or reply to the ticket, and go "Hey! What's the news?" as a reply/bump there, to keep it clearly in view of support and devs :) Do keep up the reminders!

Of course, we're not saying "Only post positive stuff!", just saying "Post the problems, criticisms, and requests in the places where they will be seen, tracked, measured for importance, and responded to" (just in case anyone was wondering).

Thanks, I´ll communicate with the devs on another channel... more appropriate.

Tom, I so much LOVE Corona, no kidding... it was love at the first sight when I saw some renders from B.Benoit and Jakub in 2017.
That time Corona for C4D was still quite "green".
Meanwhile its has become the best part of my profession as an industrial & interior designer. :)

That new displacement must be phantastic, besides general RAM optimization.
But you know what? Since you guys made such a great bump map with such great plasticity, I rarely need displacement... which again saves tons of computation power.

2019-11-06, 22:11:05
Reply #13

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I can only say positive things about Corona, never had any issues with round corners, excesive noise or just about anything. The only thing i can complain about, is my old PC, with its limited RAM and Corona 5 did largely adressed that :] So thank you Team for your hard and dedicated work!

Hey Romulus, that's quite interesting to hear, that you don't have those issues.
I guess you are on Max?
I´m in C4D.

2019-11-07, 10:33:51
Reply #14

hrisek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Free 3D Trees, Plants, 2 People
I made over 50 tests with Corona 5 and 3ds Max 2014. I see only positive changes:)
Over 30 scenes were rendered faster. With Corona 4 scenes (4200x3200) were rendered 19 minutes, with Corona 5 it was a lot faster - 15:45.
Starting rendering (parsing) is faster in all cases - with Corona 4 all scenes which i talked ablove started with 20-25 second for parsing, now with Corona 5 parsing is only 10-12 seconds.
And las biggest surprise - all scenes aftes 15 passes with Corona 4 have noise at level 1.68%.
But with Corona 5 noise is 1.05% after 13 passes.
Congratulations Corona Team :) huuuuge congratulations:)
Greetings