Author Topic: xeon v4 cpus  (Read 55041 times)

2016-05-20, 10:31:40
Reply #15

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
ps. Juraj, i check the bios and its the latest one (which supports the e5 2697 v4 )

Hello mate. I spoke with Kern over at Scan about this a while ago and he mentioned that there were BIOS issues with these new chips, so we decided to hold off buying one. I would guess that this is the problem and that an update is needed from the mobo manufacturer (asus?). Although I imagine you've already been onto scan about this. We're thinking of plumping for the same chips you did so keen to find out what the problem is!
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2016-05-20, 10:58:41
Reply #16

peterguthrie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Peter Guthrie Visualisation
Hi Alex,  feels like this is a Windows issue rather than a motherboard driver issue. 3dsmax and corona work great, it's just a couple of annoying things with win10

2016-05-20, 12:09:28
Reply #17

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
Hi Alex,  feels like this is a Windows issue rather than a motherboard driver issue. 3dsmax and corona work great, it's just a couple of annoying things with win10

Ah right. Glad those two are working properly. That's what matters most I guess.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2016-05-20, 19:57:15
Reply #18

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile

So refreshing when just for once it's not *our* problem :D
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-06-06, 18:47:30
Reply #19

peterguthrie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
anyone else got one of these new chips yet? curious to see if you have the same problem as us?

2016-06-06, 20:13:28
Reply #20

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
None of the people I've talked to. Will have such build in 2-3 weeks so I'll see as well :- ).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-06-16, 12:00:33
Reply #21

Jann

• Active Users
    • View Profile
moved to separate thread
« Last Edit: 2016-06-16, 14:43:32 by Jann »

2016-06-16, 12:31:08
Reply #22

peterguthrie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
the point of this thread really was about windows 10 having issues with xeon v4 cpus with more that 64 cores - i'm sure no-one would mind you starting a new thread

I'm still very curious to see if anyone is having a similar experience as Henry & I?? we surely can't be the only people to have these machines??

2016-06-20, 12:38:02
Reply #23

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Which motherboard do you have ?  Let's try it from this way. Even if you have Asus, there are 4 versions (D8/D16, WS, Non-WS, L), so there can still be some local culprit in the bios setup.

(And slightly irrelevant a bit, could you send me your full build into Facebook message ?)
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2016-06-20, 17:34:38
Reply #24

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Unfortunately this indeed seems to be Windows problem, and we had few (maybe 2?) cases like this in support. For now the solutions are:
-disabling some threads in Corona settings
-trying to change affinity BEFORE doing anything in 3ds Max - strange enough it looked like Windows allows you to change affinity before you try some more advanced tasks like rendering (even with scanline) - I might be wrong here, so it would be great if someone could check this (changing affinity right after starting 3ds Max, without doing any complex tasks like rendering)

This is completely ridiculous as it doesn't allow the users to really utilize the power of their CPUs.

Update: but generally, Corona works 100% fine on 64+ thread systems i 99% cases! This is confirmed by our tests, and by user tests. The problems only happen in some specific cases.
« Last Edit: 2016-07-05, 13:00:44 by maru »
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-06-20, 17:38:14
Reply #25

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
remind me, what was the issue exactly? I remember some about Windows running 100% utilization on some cores, but that could be hardly fixed by changing number of threads inside Corona...
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-06-24, 20:47:21
Reply #26

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just saw this answer in the Area regarding CPUs with more than 64 cores:

"Windows 10 supports maximum memory configurations that were formerly available only in the realm of servers. Windows 10 Home supports up to 128GB of RAM on the x64 platform. Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise both support up to 512GB on the x64 platform. The x86 versions of Windows 10 support a maximum of 4GB of RAM. Windows 10 supports a maximum of two physical CPUs, but the number of logical processors or cores varies based on the processor architecture. A maximum of 32 cores is supported in 32-bit versions of Windows 8, whereas up to 256 cores are supported in the 64-bit versions."

So it seems that 64 cores should not be a problem.

Here's a link to the whole post:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-3ds-max-design-general/cpu-rendering-core-thread-limitations/m-p/6389840#M115272

2016-06-26, 12:21:32
Reply #27

peterguthrie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
the problem is how windows 10 deals with new processors with more than 64 cores.

1. Windows 10 has some annoying issue with 'runtimebroker.exe' that we STILL havent been able to fix despite trying every supposed fix online. the result is restarted our machine every couple of hours. It means windows become very unresponsive and laggy.

2. When rendering, we can't change the affinity in task manager like we used to be able to do. This is what maru was referring to above, so at least we arent alone in this!

Both are very annoying and there doesnt seem to be any recognition of the problem in microsoft-land

2016-06-26, 17:06:46
Reply #28

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I have friends with 80 threads on Windows 10 Pro/Enterprise and they don't have this issue, so there must be some solution.

I am about one week from completing mine (also 40 cores/ 80 threads) (I am playing with water loop so it's taking bit of time), and then I will finally see what this is about.

2016-06-26, 17:42:27
Reply #29

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have my 2x xeons 2699 v3 (actually they are 2696) with windows 7 and never had to set affinity for Corona. Vray 3.4 also doesn't need any cpu affinity "hack". The only thing i see is that they are slower saving/opening scenes than my previous single socket systems (i7 4770k and xeon 1230 v2) Never tried windows 10 with them though.