Author Topic: Yale Center for British Art  (Read 6650 times)

2016-08-10, 13:08:10

BBB3viz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
My latest project: Louis Kahn's Yale Center for British Art, modeled in 3ds Max and rendered in 1.4.

Check my blog for the full set and some additional info and trivia about this project.

2016-08-10, 14:03:14
Reply #1

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Congrats on another great work and continuing effort... :D ... like all your works.

LK is one of my favorites and your interpretation is very well executed.
Maybe just a few repeating patterns in concrete textures break the illusion of realism (my pedantic eye is a wee bit too sharp for details - hard to work with), otherwise it's pure classic.
Much appreciated.

Thank you.

2016-08-10, 21:03:19
Reply #2

kehlje

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Arch. Portfolio
I LOVE THIS! Amazing work! I was a student at Yale School of Architecture and absolutely loved this building. I even did my own little project on it for a school assignment. It's kid stuff next to your masterful treatment. Beautiful and excellent choice.

EDIT: some of the artwork inside the BAC is so memorable—such as the statue of Samson slaying a Philistine in the lobby. Also the lion painting in the Great Room and the Turner paintings on the third floor. It would be really lovely to add some images of those... EDIT: Ok I see that you did some of these actually on your website. Awesome.

Request: Would you consider rendering the Beinecke Library next? It would be a worthy project.
« Last Edit: 2016-08-10, 21:14:09 by kehlje »

2016-08-11, 00:19:24
Reply #3

A515

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.arch515.com
As always, a high level - I saw on the blog - but I do not like to write there.

Concrete seems to be rough in some shots .. from what I remember - nice to see the shots in different proportions - cinema.
  As the camera height from the floor.? and focal.? 55.mm/58mm.?

White circles of lights look weak, very sharp lack of persistence.

The mere mapping of concrete wood impressive ..wow.

I admire the persistence in completion of projects .. he faces many projects where the design and then prepare documentation to the real world after missing the strength to show it .. Hence great respect for you as a real stubborn artist. And your lack of account on FB strengthens me only in the fact that you are really very highly mentally ..
eateth can look and perceive something that others only think they see ..

best.

2016-08-11, 10:50:33
Reply #4

FORM32

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • FORM32 - Home
Really nice work as usual! Though I still think a great like yourself can still get some critique :)

The close up of the bust could use some improvement, the statue seems a bit low-res (maybe that's how it actually is, i dunno) and could probably use some sharpening up/detailing in Zbrush/Mudbox if it's going to be a real focal point. The material also seems a bit waxy. It kind of looks to me like a low resolution 3d print, if that makes sense?

The bases of the statues look like they have no material, again, this is pretty close to their real-life counterparts but they do seem to have a bit more texture, albeit very subtle.

Apart from that, everything looks great. Really nice texturing work as usual. Love the last 2 images especially.
Store Page - FORM32 Gumroad

Free Oak Texture - Link

2016-08-11, 12:44:38
Reply #5

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
what a cool work as always, i love pics tones :D and the concretes are cool too
did you do post-pro the bloom-glare with arion or with internal corona bloom-glare (pre 1.5)?

2016-08-12, 05:06:00
Reply #6

zenzai

• Active Users
    • View Profile
OMG...realistic, congratulation....

2016-08-12, 11:49:21
Reply #7

BBB3viz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks a lot for the feedback, guys.

Yes, the glows and such are done in ArionFX. I haven't yet tried Octane's glow tools but I've never been a big fan of those included in V-Ray and Octane. Since these are always post effects (unlike DOF, which gains a lot if done in-camera), I'm not convinced doing them in the frame buffer really adds anything... Maybe I'm wrong.

Yes, the statue is a little low-res. It's one of those I scanned myself and it was tough given the absence of very sharp surface detail.

The bases and pedestals all have materials (reflective and pretty rough) but no textures, that's right.

2016-08-12, 19:45:04
Reply #8

spadestick

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I thought for a moment you cheated and went there to take real photos to post for laughs.

2016-08-15, 19:55:15
Reply #9

claudiostacciarini

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • LumiDigital
Amazing work! Did you use SSS in sculture? Very realistic!