Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 520571 times)

2019-11-29, 00:02:40
Reply #660

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yes, we pay 20+ perc. VAT in Europe, but I would rather pay few hundreds Euros more for my PC and stuff, then end up in half-million debt because my private insurance wouldn't cover terminal illness costs,etc.

At this moment, I would just ignore Zen1 cpus. Based on budget, go affordable 3950X on X570, pricy but well-valued 3960/3970X on TRX40, or if you have plenty of budget, 3990X in January. There is no reason to buy the older CPUs, and my super-cheap 2990WX is render-farm node ;- ).

Make a good research for the motherboard guys, there are 12 of them right now for TRX40 and wildly varying quality. While most of them have 16 power stages (either full 16 phases like Zenith II or Aorus Extreme, or 8 phases with doublers), some do not (like both MSI that are not top-model, but also the cheapest AsRock and cheapest Aorus). Those have 8-12, and I would not run the 3970X + on them, in fact I wouldn't buy them at all. If you want the "cheapest" board (they are all extremely overpriced for the value provided) I would consider Asus, because they all have the same VRM (but not heatsink), or middle Gigabyte ( Master & Designare, but not Pro!) or AsRock Taichi. We're talking the 500-600 Euro range.

In the 850-1000 Euro range, Aorus Xtreme is the superior option compared to Zenith II. Zenith II has actively cooled VRM, but with enough airflow in case, this will not be issue for either board. Aorus has dual Intel 10gbit compared to inferior Aquantia and also the only high-end board to offer quad-GPU setup, if that kind of extreme is your thing.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-11-29, 00:34:00
Reply #661

twoheads

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Quad GPU setup? hell no! I would need 2 gpu's max (one for start). 10GbE LAN is also a thing I won't need at all, so?  AORUS XTREME (rev. 1.0) or ASUS ROG ZENITH II EXTREME will do?

and yes, sometimes it's better to pay extra tax money and eventually keep liver or kidneys. ;)

2019-11-29, 15:14:25
Reply #662

STHA

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,
I have been going through this over the months and a lot of info in here and I am grateful for it. But it is really is giving me a headache trying to understand all the info out there on the net.

I would appreciate if some advice can be shed on my dilemma.
I am not into overclocking.

New possible builds -
Render - simulation - future proof
also maybe gpu rendering in the near future. 2-3 would be good.

3900x/3950x -
Asus Trix E - as mentioned by Juraj
Noctua - same as Juraj
I need 64Gig but ideally 128Gig would be ideal.
I found single samsung 32gig dims x4 = 128gig  and I cannot recall nother brand, maybe croshair - but I am not sure of their speed efficiency .
Does any one know best 64gig ram - efficiency vs price? or any other single 32gig dims to make 128gig?
power supply?

or

TR 2950
no idea on motherboard
64gig but again ideally 128gig of ram.
power supply?

Nvme2 worth it? using for cache memory or reading of large filego as.

I found some cases, but I am looking for a flat bed case, I want to go away from the verticle cases. any good idea from experience?
anymore advice to add on, it would help alot.
Thanks in advance.

2019-11-29, 16:43:04
Reply #663

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Unfortunately 32GB dimms are extremely limited choice right now on market, basically just the Corsair ones.

You don't have to buy the single-set 4x32 2667 CL16, you can buy their 2x (2x32 3000 CL15 or 3200 CL16), but it's probably the very same Micron memory of slightly different binning.
They sell the 128GB kit rated for such slow speed as this is the only guaranteed stable speed of most boards and chips.

I am actually waiting for the very same memory, my local shop delayed the memory order (Corsair 2(2x32GB 3200 Cl16) until 6th December, so I cannot tell you at what speed they will be stable. I do hope to get them running at 2933 CL15/CL16.
With Zen it's slightly easier to get faster timings than frequency.

Of course, faster memory benefits Zen...but there isn't much choice at all. G.Skill has already announced faster 32GB Dimm kits, but without release date or price. I would expect January earliest. It is what it is.

Power supply, anything from reputable Vendor (Seasonic, BeQuite, Corsair,etc.) and ideally OEM maker (Seasonic, SuperFlower, CWT). Since Seasonic is always the creator behind their products, it's always the safest choice. You cannot go wrong with Seasonic.
Prime series Gold is good choice for budget oriented build. For single CPU + top GPU 850W is currently the best choice, but if you plan to use two GPUs, 1000W+ would be be future proof.

NVMe drives are worth it if you routinely transfer high amount of sequential data, like copying hundreds of GBs of photos,etc.. otherwise there is almost no performance difference. The random 4k read/write is barely perceptible improvement, software runs the same.
Not sure what you mean by cache memory (Ram drive? Swapping in general? Anyway, it's 100 times slower than DDR4 memory, so it's always terrible idea). Reading of large files (like Photoshop,etc..) isn't any different.

Since system drive doesn't need to be more than 1TB, getting NVMe drive like Samsung 970 EVO makes sense since the price different isn't dramatic, but for 2TB+ drives for you projects, assets, etc.. you should decide based on budget. Capacity > Performance.

Flat bed cases went out of fashion quite a long ago, but you can very much place any case horizontally.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2019-11-29, 17:48:06
Reply #664

STHA

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

These are the samsung ones, but 2666. I think they are correct but you are correct. We need fast rams. I was hoping to obtain some discounts during the holiday sales. Perhaps I could purchase some parts and wait for better 32gig dimms especially if i go for the 3950x.
as the mobo only has 4 slots.

https://www.flexxmemory.co.uk/memory/samsung-32gb-ddr4-pc4-21300-2666mhz-288-pin-dimm-1-2v-cl-19-desktop-ram-memory-module/

Somehow going with 3950x or TR 0 i think the costs even out.

Nvme 2 - I was reading somewhere that it is used for caching simulation. But I need to do more research.

I didnt think about placing the box horizontally, I assumed it would have some negative effect on the power supply unit.

Thanks again.

2019-11-29, 18:20:26
Reply #665

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
That Samsung is old memory and not very good one.

You can place the PSU however you want as long as the airflow is unobstructed.

Somehow going with 3950x or TR 0 i think the costs even out.

?

2019-11-29, 18:24:29
Reply #666

STHA

• Active Users
    • View Profile
sorry I meant

if I work out my costs,

either 3950x or a Threadripper 2950 - seem to even out.
as mobo  cheape on the 3950x but more on the 2950x
and ram with 8 slots cheaper on the 2950x with 4 dimms on the 3950x.

but I think the single core speeds on the 3950 are tempting. Might get the feels to game again. :)

note - thanks for the info the samsung ram. saved me there.

2019-11-29, 18:34:03
Reply #667

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Worst case scenario is that the memory will only be stable at 2667 CL15, outside of Corona, there will be no difference anywhere else.
But I believe it might be stable at 2800-2933 as well, or with newer AGESA update.

Since I am forced to wait one more week, I will be on lookout this week for better memory as well, perhaps the G.Skill sets will arrive sooner, might be worth sending them email.

Don't look at 2950X.

2019-11-29, 19:25:09
Reply #668

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
3950X/Asus Strix-E, Noctua NH-D15, Fractal Define C, 4x Noctua a12x25(PWM) for airflow [..]

Would be interesting to know your temps. I'm planning for 3900X, Noctua D15 or Dark Rock Pro and Meshify C. Ideally i'd prefer Define C for better acoustics, but i'm not sure how much difference that would make.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-11-29, 20:16:56
Reply #669

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
3950X/Asus Strix-E, Noctua NH-D15, Fractal Define C, 4x Noctua a12x25(PWM) for airflow [..]
Would be interesting to know your temps. I'm planning for 3900X, Noctua D15 or Dark Rock Pro and Meshify C. Ideally i'd prefer Define C for better acoustics, but i'm not sure how much difference that would make.

I am pretty sure the temps will be fantastic, since I recently got young Husky pup, the ambient is sub 20C in every room :- ).

(Funny enough, she loves sleeping next to render farm or Veronika's workstation instead)

In seriousness, I doubt the PC would have any trouble even without single case fan.. they overstated the whole thing with "needs watercooling" marketing.
I wanted even smaller case for this PC (Define C Mini) but there are no good mATX boards for X570 right now. The only one is quite expensive for what is pretty compromised board.

(Did I mention I pre-ordered ,twice lol, the fake Apple case from https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/dune-pro-pc-case/x/22706094#/comments ? I would have built this PC in that but it will arrive...IF...it will, in January, and I wanted our modeler to have this build asap)
« Last Edit: 2019-11-29, 20:28:34 by Juraj Talcik »

2019-11-29, 21:19:37
Reply #670

JoeVallard

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Joe Vallard

I have a NH-14S on my 2950x in a Define R6 case and it temps aren't terrible. With a test rendering going right now its sitting at 63C and thats with a slight 300Mhz overclock as well. One thing I've noticed about the Define R6 case is that it does a great job at NOT collecting dust. I live next to 3 big farm fields and all my prior cases would be covered in dust especially around the fans. I haven't put air to my case now in over a month and there is next to no dust in it.

(Funny enough, she loves sleeping next to render farm or Veronika's workstation instead)

(Did I mention I pre-ordered ,twice lol, the fake Apple case from https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/dune-pro-pc-case/x/22706094#/comments ? I would have built this PC in that but it will arrive...IF...it will, in January, and I wanted our modeler to have this build asap)

Also have a dog that loves laying under my desk to get the heat from the computer.

I like the cheese grader case but if i'm not mistake the fake one does remove the panels from over the top like the mac pro does.

2019-11-29, 21:42:22
Reply #671

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yup, the fake one is much better, in all seriousness.

2019-11-30, 00:09:00
Reply #672

subpixelsk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • johny.mrazko.visualization
Juraj which MB would you and would not recommend with 3960x or 3970x ? And would it be possible to cool them with air? I am looking for best price / performance ratio

2019-11-30, 01:58:55
Reply #673

twoheads

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Juraj missed my question (don't mind :)) I think you can boil it down to two options AORUS XTREME (rev. 1.0) or ASUS ROG ZENITH II EXTREME correct? Aorus is quite pricy so I have the same dilemma. Is it worth extra money when you don't need 10GbE LAN and four GPU's onboard?

2019-11-30, 11:26:26
Reply #674

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
It probably isn't. 850 vs 1000 Euro is still palpable difference, and both are very high-end boards.

They both have 10GBe Lan, but Intel chip is higher quality (although older technology and more power-hungry, thus run hotter) than the Aquantia that all other boards have.

Anandtech did pretty nice overview of all current 12 boards https://www.anandtech.com/show/15121/the-amd-trx40-motherboard-overview-