Author Topic: License  (Read 2295 times)

2022-09-28, 12:39:23

creo3d

• Active Users
  • Creo Wizualizacje i Grafika 3d
    • View Profile
Hi, I have a question regarding the answer to the questions about the Corona 8, before the output of the cr 8 I had so that I am working on the first two cinema 4d r21 and r20.
Previously, I modeled and textured on my laptop and I did such a fast rendering, at the same time the running workstation was rendering the second project. I currently have one license and unfortunately I have to close this license on one device to make it work on the other device. Now I have to buy under a license? I have a subscription for a month.

2022-09-28, 13:01:59
Reply #1

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Hello!

If you have just one subscription going then you get 1x floating workstation license which means you can move it between computers but at any point in time it can only be active on a single computer. So yes, you need to close it on one computer so that it works on the other.

You can, as you noted, always buy another license which will give you the ability to have 2x Cinema 4D's running with Corona at the same time but alternatively, if you only want the other computer to render the images for you it is probably wiser to look into adding more render node licenses to your subscription.

With render nodes you can model, texture, do interactive rendering and all that on one computer and when you're ready you can start up Team Rendering and then the other computer will join in to help with the number crunching. There's methods using the Render Queue where you can start up Team Rendering without the local machine (the one you are working on) partaking in on the process so that way you can continue working while the other computer is rendering. This does slow down your local computer a bit as well though. If it helps, you can think of render node licenses as specialized licenses that you use when you want that machine to just render stuff out without you actually using it to work on the scene.

Hope that helps :)

Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2022-09-28, 13:28:16
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
A render node is the solution here, for when a second machine has to be only rendering and no active use of Corona in modeling and creating a scene.

Question though, you say "before Corona 8" - does that mean you have a license which has been active and subscription maintained without a gap since Corona 7 or earlier?
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2022-09-28, 13:31:50
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I think there is some confusion here.

One workstation package is 1 interface license and 1 render node license.

This means that one workstation license can be used on 2 computers in total (one is showing the interface and not rendering, the other one is rendering only without showing the interface).

This is explained here along with some example scenarios (e.g. "I have 1 computer only", "I have one workstation and 1 render node", etc): https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/articles/4526319255057

It is very easy to tell how many licenses you need.
For any computer where you are physically using the host app (Max or C4D) without doing any rendering, you need 1 interface license.
For any computer where you are rendering only, without showing the host app at all (command-line rendering, using render managers, etc), you need 1 render node license.
« Last Edit: 2022-09-28, 13:43:19 by maru »
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-09-28, 13:36:18
Reply #4

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I am assuming from the description that the needs here are "Work in a scene, including IR and some rendering, on one machine, while purely rendering on a second" which will require more than just a single license. If the "including IR and some rendering" is not the case, then indeed 1 license would be enough (rare though I think for someone to never need any sort of IR or rendering while working on a scene, but you never know!)

Still got my question on whether this is an ongoing uninterrupted subscription from Corona 7 or earlier, though!
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2022-09-29, 09:29:54
Reply #5

creo3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
maybe I was misunderstood, earlier, when the RC6 and 7 version was available, I could work without any problems on a workstation and on a Macbook. Now I have this process difficult, can someone explain to me how to do the best so that I can continue to render?

2022-09-29, 10:30:08
Reply #6

masterzone

• Active Users
  • CGI Generalist since 1998
    • View Profile
    • ZuccherodiKanna
The way is very easy:

Macbook: 1 Corona License
Other PC: 1 Corona License

So if you have already a Corona License, you need to buy another license of corona in order to get the second PC running with Corona Render at the same time. Remember also that now if you are using R20 (with serial number) and the R21 (with subscription system) you can use Cinema4D without problem, but if you will change to R21 for both computer you will need another Cinema4D license as well due to a subscription license with login and password, the Serial system has been canceled by Maxon.

By the way, Using the render node license is not comfortable because you need to setup the team render and avoid the first computer contributing or a team render server is needed...very annoying.
I think two licenses is a best way...
« Last Edit: 2022-09-29, 10:46:18 by masterzone »
| www.c4dzone.com
| Italian Maxon Training Center
| www.zuccherodikanna.com
| Italian based CGI Studio

2022-09-29, 10:36:08
Reply #7

masterzone

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • ZuccherodiKanna
I am assuming from the description that the needs here are "Work in a scene, including IR and some rendering, on one machine, while purely rendering on a second" which will require more than just a single license. If the "including IR and some rendering" is not the case, then indeed 1 license would be enough (rare though I think for someone to never need any sort of IR or rendering while working on a scene, but you never know!)

Still got my question on whether this is an ongoing uninterrupted subscription from Corona 7 or earlier, though!

I think the User means that with Corona 7 and previously versions, for a strange behaviour, you could use it on more computes at the same time with a only single license...when the Chaos Server was out for corona8, now more license are needed...
On the Corona 7 and early versions the licensing web unlocking system was missing. Now you can manage the licenses on Chaos Corona and drop a license if you need. So each computer with Cinema4D with a GUI need a license, but not on the past 🤔
« Last Edit: 2022-09-29, 10:48:55 by masterzone »
| www.c4dzone.com

2022-09-29, 10:48:39
Reply #8

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
@creo3d @masterzone

The old licensing system was limited in terms of managing licenses accurately. To compensate for this and make sure customers would never be without the licenses they paid for, we set up a buffer that would sometimes overestimate the number of active licenses available for use. That's what happened in your scenario since you were able to use that many licenses.

The new licensing accurately counts the number of licenses you should have access to at any given time. The number of computers specified in each product package has not changed, and the number of licenses you're entitled to hasn't changed.

Each license can be used only on a single machine at a time, you are unable to use one single license on more than one machine simultaneously.

The solution if needed is to purchase the extra licenses required - either full licenses or render nodes - so that the licenses you have access to matches the needs of your situation (number of users, number of machines, etc.) as per the terms of the EULA.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

2022-09-29, 10:51:30
Reply #9

masterzone

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • ZuccherodiKanna
that's exactly what I meant and how all software licenses works on all common software.

Alex
| www.c4dzone.com

2022-10-12, 09:30:39
Reply #10

babumbol

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The number of computers specified in each product package has not changed, and the number of licenses you're entitled to hasn't changed.
Are you sure about that? If I remember correctly, the additional render nodes where cut from 3 to 1 some time ago.

2022-10-12, 09:38:22
Reply #11

davetwo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The number of computers specified in each product package has not changed, and the number of licenses you're entitled to hasn't changed.
Are you sure about that? If I remember correctly, the additional render nodes where cut from 3 to 1 some time ago.

That is for new licences i believe. Existing customers (currently) get the keep the extra nodes.

2022-10-12, 09:39:36
Reply #12

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile

The point of this sentence is that:
- if you own 1 workstation + 3 nodes package, you can use this on 1 workstation + 3 render node with Corona 7 and older and it's exactly the same with Corona 8 and newer
- if you own 1 workstation license only, you can use this on 1 workstation only with Corona 7 and older and it's exactly the same with Corona 8 and newer
- if you own 1 render node license, you can use this on 1 render node only with Corona 7 and older and it's exactly the same with Corona 8 and newer
So to reword the original message: "The number of computers which you are entitled to use within your existing license package has not changed and the number of licenses you're entitled to has not changed".

Other than that, we did change the packages that we are offering on our e-store after Corona 8 release, but this only applies to new purchases. If you own any of the previously available packages, it has not changed in any way.

Update:
That is for new licences i believe. Existing customers (currently) get the keep the extra nodes.

Yes, exactly.

2022-10-17, 11:07:56
Reply #13

Philw

• Active Users
    • View Profile
....and I've just got the email that changes the licensing again :-(