Author Topic: Corona on M1....invastigation...  (Read 1509 times)

2022-09-13, 11:19:34

masterzone

• Active Users
  • CGI Generalist since 1998
    • View Profile
    • ZuccherodiKanna
Hi Guys, I'm continuing to research about M1 intensive task render. Today I'm rendering a very big scene on my M1 Pro Max 64GB of ram via team render, here you can see how Corona is getting from my processors...
Cinema4D is getting around 35GB of memory (hided on the panel) so the scene is not simple to render...
Anyone experienced on M1 this kind of l percentage of total processor? around 70%....?

With simple scene Corona Render is getting around 90% of processor speed....see the screenshots differences...
« Last Edit: 2022-09-13, 11:35:17 by masterzone »
| www.c4dzone.com
| Italian Maxon Training Center
| www.zuccherodikanna.com
| Italian based CGI Studio

2022-09-13, 12:58:42
Reply #1

kade

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Some people suggested possible thermal throttling on M1 machines, but I do not believe that it is correct.
My tests on similar machine shows full CPU usage under Maxwell Render or Houdini's Mantra.

One discovery:
If you have post processing options enabled during render, for example Bloom, Corona's CPU usage oscillates around 70% but can go as low as 50%. Perhaps some (all?) of the effects are single threaded and are interrupting render or the renderer itself needs to pause for a moment.

Perhaps you could re-do your test but with a plain render, all post-effects disabled, and tell us your results?

Have a nice day,

2022-09-13, 15:12:11
Reply #2

masterzone

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • ZuccherodiKanna
I don't think that there is thermal trolling on M1 Pro Max due to some test I done previously...
I tried to change settings when the MacBook is plugged in, there are three settings, low energy, auto, and high energy...when Corona render these settings are ignored and the render percentage doesn't change anymore.

With other rendering engine based on CPU the percentage still on 960%....

Interesting the post process argument...let me try some experiment....
| www.c4dzone.com

2022-09-13, 15:38:44
Reply #3

masterzone

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • ZuccherodiKanna
Here attached you can see what happen to my scene on my M1 pro Max.
The blue lines on my CPU history is what happen during corona render after 5° PASS....on the first five passes the CPU hit 960%...very good...after five passes the CPU slow down...
Only with Corona Renderer...
| www.c4dzone.com

2022-09-13, 15:43:21
Reply #4

kade

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is that happening on a freshly restarted system? Can you try again but after restarting your Mac and Cinema/Corona, and nothing else running? Also, do not play with interactive rendered, just try a full render.

2022-09-13, 16:02:32
Reply #5

masterzone

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • ZuccherodiKanna
Yes I tried with a full clean restart as well. I tried also on VFB final render, Picture Viewer and IRR....Now I'm try with a huge Cinema4D standard render scene....let me try and I will came back soon...
| www.c4dzone.com

2022-09-13, 16:16:29
Reply #6

masterzone

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • ZuccherodiKanna
This is a native Cinema4D scene (40 GB of ram during rendering) and you can see the processors task...no temperature throttle or something else...only Corona Render after some pass is slowing down...
« Last Edit: 2022-09-15, 08:01:15 by masterzone »
| www.c4dzone.com

2022-09-13, 16:42:32
Reply #7

kade

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, I know what you are experiencing, as I had similar results last week, but at some point - somehow - Corona were stable at ~90% CPU usage again. I will do some more test later this week.

BTW, did you know you can control (well, limit) CPU threads for the Interactive Renderer? Preferences > Corona > Interactive rendering.

2022-09-13, 16:52:27
Reply #8

masterzone

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • ZuccherodiKanna
I don't know why Corona doesn't use all power on M1 processors...here are my preferences about Corona...usually I don't touch nothing...all is from a fresh installation....
| www.c4dzone.com