Author Topic: Corona Pattern  (Read 6164 times)

2022-08-23, 10:10:30
Reply #15

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile

excellent result! I wonder, however, if in this case perhaps it was better to use Corona scatter

Scatter just ... scatters.
Pattern conforms the geometry to the underlying surface.

2022-08-24, 00:04:40
Reply #16

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Indeed, and the pattern modifier also cuts the pattern at the edges.
I can speed the rendertiime up by a lot since Arroway provided these gravel patterns in two layers on top of each other. I used the two layers and I think I could have just as well used only one. This pattern modifier is really a big step forward.

2022-08-24, 10:34:31
Reply #17

Philw

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@frv - Can you share a screenshot of your object tree and settings for the Pattern modifier? I'm being stupid, I think! Cheers

2022-09-04, 16:51:51
Reply #18

horpa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1

2022-09-05, 17:32:10
Reply #19

d4l1

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeah, trying out the Corona Pattern myself right now and I don't get it at all. Even with the 3DS Max guide open. C4D is missing the Pattern Node selection, right?

Edit:
Ok - working now and I get to see something.
Important: Only visible in render and the base object needs proper UV layout. Setup looks like in the attached screenshot.
Now I''ll try to get some control over all what is happening there. Looks promising!
« Last Edit: 2022-09-05, 17:48:50 by d4l1 »

2022-09-06, 18:23:45
Reply #20

horpa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
...thank you ...

2022-09-10, 15:50:06
Reply #21

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So trying the great new pattern, i see 3 wishes come up fast:)

1) to use more than 1 object, placement controlled via a shader in UV (similar to the geotexture plugin), at least i wasn't able to do this yet.

2) to have an option to randomize the placement and rotation etc of the objects (if more than 1)

3) coloring of the pattern"clones" by a base UV texture, as i think ti works in max corona already

would be great i think, makes this tool even better

thanks!
Stefan
« Last Edit: 2022-09-11, 20:34:44 by Stefan-L »

2022-09-12, 16:34:45
Reply #22

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Haven't had a chance to explore Pattern yet, but I do wonder where the most benefits lie compared to Mograph. I think Mograph could create that landscape with the rocks including variation in the shader, push apart to keep them from intersecting, random size and position and I believe would follow the geometry as well. Assuming this is true, is there a big difference in the memory usage or viewport performance? What about render times?

2022-09-12, 17:37:22
Reply #23

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

excellent result! I wonder, however, if in this case perhaps it was better to use Corona scatter

You would never be able to do this with scatter in fact :- ). The reason is that the original piece from Arroway used physics simulation for the rocks to fall down only naturally to the ground, but also touch each other.
Scatter can't simulate anything it would just randomly place them, but randomness isn't the same, and intersection avoidance so they don't touch each other would barely work.

This is actually pretty cool !
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2022-09-12, 19:46:41
Reply #24

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I would argue that the scatter is better suited tool for things like gravel, than the pattern is. For one, it's so much easier to get decent assets for the scatter than for the pattern. Heck, you can even generate few spheres, add some noise deformation, spherically map any rock like texture on top, scatter them up and it would look decent from any angle, except most extreme close-ups. As additional benefits - no repeating tiling, which is almost impossible to avoid with pattern and also you can add global dirt/variation texture on top (not available in pattern too).
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-09-12, 20:17:51
Reply #25

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
That Arroway gravel piece is colored by single big map which can be offset with UVW Randomizer. That will solve 90perc. of the tiling. Rarely you need more than few square meters of this type of designed arch gravel. And that quality will never be matched even remotely by scatter.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2022-09-12, 20:35:09
Reply #26

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
"Pattern yet, but I do wonder where the most benefits lie compared to Mograph"

@BigAl3D:   mograph places copies of objects, Pattern deforms them along the base surface. 2 totally different things and tools:)

2022-09-12, 20:46:45
Reply #27

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
That Arroway gravel piece is colored by single big map which can be offset with UVW Randomizer. That will solve 90perc. of the tiling. Rarely you need more than few square meters of this type of designed arch gravel. And that quality will never be matched even remotely by scatter.

I'm not sure if i understand how that Arroway asset looks. I thought it's a bunch of pebbles which was pre-simulated and baked into single mesh. How could you offset its texture if it's single map? Wouldn't that create obvious mismatch between geometry and texture then?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-09-12, 21:06:06
Reply #28

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
It's just one very big color texture. If you can randomizing it, each stone will end up being differently colored. They are all uwrapped on different UV position.
But I last saw the actual material setup many (7?) years ago :- ). Even single tile was way too heavy...

2022-09-13, 08:29:05
Reply #29

fabio81

• Active Users
    • View Profile

You would never be able to do this with scatter in fact :- ). The reason is that the original piece from Arroway used physics simulation for the rocks to fall down only naturally to the ground, but also touch each other.
Scatter can't simulate anything it would just randomly place them, but randomness isn't the same, and intersection avoidance so they don't touch each other would barely work.

This is actually pretty cool !

you're right, perfectly okay :D