Author Topic: How to do this finished?  (Read 986 times)

2022-08-16, 17:13:26

INgenia

• Active Users
  • I only know that I know nothing
    • View Profile

Hi folks,
I have tried to do this metal with a brush patina, but I can't get it 100% off, any advice please?

2022-08-16, 20:59:31
Reply #1

davetwo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Use a layered material.
Base layer 90% metal wth some anisotrophy, brushed texture in bump and clearcoat
Second layer the same but drop the metalness down and make the colour almost black.
Blend the layers by putting a curvature shader as the mask (only concave white, add some spread and up the directionality).
Theres a screengrab attached, from C4D tho'.

2022-08-17, 10:40:41
Reply #2

INgenia

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you very much for your reply Davetwo,
Interesting your proposal.
I have tried but I am not able to get the dark area like yours at the base of the knob :(
My test comes out very clear. I think the key is in the Curvature ......... but I have already said that I can't get it.

2022-08-17, 11:07:17
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
When you're using curvature as a mask, make sure that base, concave and convex colours are fully black or white. Usually you want to keep base full as black and either convex or concave (sometimes both) as white, that depends on your setup and what you want to achieve. Next you may need to check max distance - depending on your scene units setup and your object size, you may need to increase or decrease its value to get meaningful result. Then it's a matter of playing with ray directionality and colour spread. Launch interactive rendering with isolated object of interest to have best responsiveness, adjust one control at the time and watch how it responds in render. It's a good practice to temporarily replace base and secondary materials with some simple and bold colours to get better visual feedback while adjusting curvature mask.

If you feel that you still have hard time to control curvature, you may want to give a chance to Corona AO map, it's very similar to curvature, but since it was there for much longer, you may be more familiar with it and get good results more intuitively.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-08-17, 11:19:15
Reply #4

INgenia

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Very interesting Romullus.
Many thanks, I´m playing with your advice ;) I will upload the result