Author Topic: How to load proxies into new scenes without loosing all its materials?  (Read 886 times)

2022-08-01, 05:50:58

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
We created a proxy that needs to be used in different scenes from the same project. Our intended workflow is to make further modifications to the original asset, re-export it as a proxy and then re-load it on the other scenes. However, we haven't been able to load it with materials in the new scenes. Any idea why this is happening?

2022-08-01, 10:29:21
Reply #1

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
As far as I know, the best practice is to copy/export it from the original scene into the new file.

I do think this is a major downside to proxies - they should be somehow saved with the materials but this isn't the case.

Another option is to save out the material and load this into the new scene and then apply it to the proxy.
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2022-08-01, 14:30:37
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Yep, as aaouviz said, saving proxies in max scenes is the best way to retain their materials intact. You can use save selected command to save only what you want. Having proxies inside Max files has one advantage - you can merge them into new scenes by drag and dropping from file explorer, which you can't do with proxy files.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-08-01, 15:34:36
Reply #3

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It means it can't be updated via the "reload" option once some changes are done to the original proxy, right?

2022-08-01, 16:03:57
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Not materials, no - unfortunately you will have to update them manually. The geometry should update automatically without any issues.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures