Author Topic: CoronaPattern playground!  (Read 42378 times)

2022-08-16, 14:30:14
Reply #75

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Would it not work the same as the 'use real world map size' option we have for texture mapping? Works fine most of the time for that. Usually its done with box mapping and or a sweep with that option turned on.

The problem with the current system if you rely on just the tiling parameters is that its different for every object you put it on. I've done a 600mm ceiling grid just now which needs to be 600x600mm tiles whatever the surface. So I've selected real world mapping and had to stack 2x uvxform mods on and get the scaling as close as I can to that real world size. Now it should be the same whatever the object but its a pain and not accurate enough for some situations. It would seem a big use for Pattern would be with architectural elements and they are all at real world scale.
« Last Edit: 2022-08-16, 14:35:01 by Rhodesy »

2022-08-16, 14:39:05
Reply #76

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
In any case, it's logged. :)
I also thought maybe it can be done in a similar way to the RWS option for textures, since we are talking about UVW mapping here.

(Internal ID=948460851)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-08-16, 14:42:56
Reply #77

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In any case, it's logged. :)
I also thought maybe it can be done in a similar way to the RWS option for textures, since we are talking about UVW mapping here.

(Internal ID=948460851)

Awesome thanks for that Maru. Yes I'm hoping its a 'simple' equation like the one they must use for texture mapping a map of a certain size, but potentially even more straight forward as the units will be set in the scene and not have input maps of different res which max will have to calculate to display at the right size. Fingers crossed for this one!

2022-08-16, 19:01:31
Reply #78

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Think I’ve run in to a bug. I have a light material on a multisub on a pattern node which works fine until it goes behind refractive glass. I know there is a limitation with directionality usually in these cases but this light material has no directionality. Which is odd.

2022-08-16, 19:25:41
Reply #79

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
What actually happens once behind refractive glass? What happens if it goes behind refractive glass when not repeated in Pattern? What happens if it goes behind refractive glass as an instance?
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2022-08-17, 09:38:23
Reply #80

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Think I’ve run in to a bug. I have a light material on a multisub on a pattern node which works fine until it goes behind refractive glass. I know there is a limitation with directionality usually in these cases but this light material has no directionality. Which is odd.

What exactly seems to be the problem? Could you share a scene or an image example of this?

2022-08-17, 11:31:10
Reply #81

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
OK, here is an image of the problem and the Max file.

As you can see the lights go black behind refractive glass - 'thin glass' is OK but refractive glass looks better and not usually a problem. The light material is on a multisub applied to both the node and the base geo - makes no difference if just on one or both. The same light material is applied to the big light box - which works fine.

Strangely when setting up this file I found if I have directionality set to 0 then the lights are black but setting it at 0.3 makes the lights not covered by glass light up. Which is odd.

I also have occasions where the light squares become invisible for what seems like no reason.
Will revert to railclone for this in the short term hopefully.

Thanks.

2022-08-22, 08:01:03
Reply #82

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys

do you think doign a perforated metal is best done in the coronapattern mod or via texture only?  I have somedetailed shots of a CGI im working on so i think the coronapatternmod might be best - how do i achieve something like the attached with precision?  they are 8mm holes and i not sure how to do this?  a quick guide will be much appreciated? 

2022-08-22, 11:13:01
Reply #83

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys

do you think doign a perforated metal is best done in the coronapattern mod or via texture only?  I have somedetailed shots of a CGI im working on so i think the coronapatternmod might be best - how do i achieve something like the attached with precision?  they are 8mm holes and i not sure how to do this?  a quick guide will be much appreciated?

Personally, if you want a close up of that mesh you've shown, then it's pretty quick to just model.  If there are different patterns then you might be best with Corona Pattern?

See attached, then you can either shell and turbosmooth.

2022-08-22, 11:33:31
Reply #84

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks so much mate.  But in terms of actually applying it as a coronapatternmod - how do you do it to ensure its the same size? (ie the hole is 8mm).

Hi guys

Personally, if you want a close up of that mesh you've shown, then it's pretty quick to just model.  If there are different patterns then you might be best with Corona Pattern?

2022-08-22, 12:54:37
Reply #85

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks so much mate.  But in terms of actually applying it as a coronapatternmod - how do you do it to ensure its the same size? (ie the hole is 8mm).

Hi guys

I'm not sure you can, I've not used CoronaPattern but from flicking through these forums it does look like that's something that been requested.  Ensuring the pattern scale remains constant.  I could be wrong though.

2022-08-22, 13:16:33
Reply #86

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
"Real world size" / "make sure pattern module is the same size as the pattern node" is already reported, yes.

The pattern is like a texture, so currently, if you can somehow make sure that your single UVW tile on your base object is 8x8cm, then one tile (one module) of the pattern will be also 8x8cm.

2022-08-22, 13:20:34
Reply #87

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
thanks mate and thanks Maru - i will give these a try - appreciate your help a lot.

Hi guys

I'm not sure you can, I've not used CoronaPattern but from flicking through these forums it does look like that's something that been requested.  Ensuring the pattern scale remains constant.  I could be wrong though.

2022-08-22, 15:02:34
Reply #88

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models

If the base object has correct real world mapping, e.g. has UVW map modifier with planar, or box mapping and activated real-world size option, then there's a nice trick that you can use - enter 1/crop box size X as tiling U and 1/crop box size Y as tiling V in Corona pattern modifier and your pattern will have correct real world size. Pro tip: you can click in any 3ds max numerical field and then press ctrl+N to summon simple calculator to aid you with simple equations - very useful in situations like this ;)
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-08-22, 16:06:22
Reply #89

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for that very helpful... I'll try that in the morning... any chance you can share that simple scene?  How would you ensure its seamlessness?

If the base object has correct real world mapping, e.g. has UVW map modifier with planar, or box mapping and activated real-world size option, then there's a nice trick that you can use - enter 1/crop box size X as tiling U and 1/crop box size Y as tiling V in Corona pattern modifier and your pattern will have correct real world size. Pro tip: you can click in any 3ds max numerical field and then press ctrl+N to summon simple calculator to aid you with simple equations - very useful in situations like this ;)