Author Topic: CoronaPattern playground!  (Read 44346 times)

2022-09-03, 07:53:15
Reply #105

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
it's nice that we have an option to choose UVWs between pattern and base objects, but sometimes (quite often) i want to have both. Maybe good solution would be to have dedicated surface map, like Chaos Scatter has, which would let to get base object's colours without sacrificing pattern object's UVs. In fact both, the Scatter and The Pattern could share the same map
just once again faced with such a need, after all, when you make carpets or fabric, it is very important to be able to impose, say, a print on top of the finished product, while maintaining the texture coordinates for individual fibers on the pattern itself
so +1 for this feature
@Marchik + @Romullus + anyone else who would like this - Could you please describe the exact use case for this? I think we do understand what is being requested, but we do not understand why.

Obviously this will be necessary when modeling a carpet with sufficient details, we need to store the UVs for the pattern object to simulate for example fibers using normal maps and so on. (As far as I know from my experience, even the correct display of fibers in the CoronaHairMtl material depends on the direction of the UVs)
In turn, to simulate a pattern on a carpet, we need the UV coordinates of the base object, so we need both of the UV coordinates.

similarly applicable to other fabrics with a color pattern

Randomization per pattern node in Multimap and UVW Randomize
@Marchik + anyone who finds this useful - can you explain in what exact scenario you would use this?
Let's say that we are making a pattern (repeating some geometry tile). If we use the Multimap or UVW Randomizer, this will affect each tile creating visible color/texturing differences between each tile. How is this useful? (in what practical cases) Otherwise, we can use the Mesh Element randomization to have a different color of each tile part (e.g. one carpet strand in case of scattering a tile consisting of many strands).
yes, we also found out above that the mesh element mode works fine, I made a request while I still thought that it would not work at all. So I apologize and withdraw the request, a separate pattern randomization method can be useful for complex tiling, but these are too rare cases to waste resources on it

Scaling Corona Pattern tiles individually so that they could overlap with each other / Offset and scaling randomization in CPattern
We believe his is a better job for Scatter. If you have some specific example where you would like to use this with CPattern, please share it here.

And this is the most wanted feature for me, I don’t touch on randomization (I can do without it), but overlapping would add a huge number of use cases for CPattern in general.
But I really don't know what else to add about this, (in that post above I recorded a detailed video why this would be useful).

This has nothing to do with the scatter as the scatter cannot bend individual parts of the pattern along a curved surface.

I mainly use CPattern for patterns that have an organic shape, such as weaving fabrics, patterns include sticking out and intersecting fibers and in general - weaving does not always have a square structure, so it is convenient to seamlessly tile it. The time to prepare the perfect pattern that can be used for close-ups (with the current method of perfectly square cutting when tiling) sometimes exceeds what I would need to weave the final product in its entirety (only strong hardware resource savings remains from the benefits)

I don’t know if I explained clearly, but I really hope that you will listen to the last point, it could save me a lot of time, thanks in advance))

2022-09-03, 12:27:10
Reply #106

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Some perfect explanations by marchik! Absolutely cosign all he wrote hundred times.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2022-09-03, 14:19:26
Reply #107

aldaryn

• Active Users
    • View Profile

it's nice that we have an option to choose UVWs between pattern and base objects, but sometimes (quite often) i want to have both. Maybe good solution would be to have dedicated surface map, like Chaos Scatter has, which would let to get base object's colours without sacrificing pattern object's UVs. In fact both, the Scatter and The Pattern could share the same map
just once again faced with such a need, after all, when you make carpets or fabric, it is very important to be able to impose, say, a print on top of the finished product, while maintaining the texture coordinates for individual fibers on the pattern itself
so +1 for this feature
@Marchik + @Romullus + anyone else who would like this - Could you please describe the exact use case for this? I think we do understand what is being requested, but we do not understand why.

My 2 cents:

Fur us, this would the most important feature. Our studio was using ICube's VRayPattern (coed by Karba if 'Im not mistaken) for almost everything back in the days and being able to access both the underlying geometry's UV space and the pattern object's UVs that is quite important. Aside from obvious cases like a rug or grass or simliar we used this feature to add any type of larger more widespread detail to geometry we patterned. Dirt, color gradiation, variation, atc...

If there was an option to pass on the data of even a single mapping channel from the underlying geometry, that would be wonderful.

Anyway, I think the implementation of such sytem was, at least for me, the most anticipated feature in the Corona ecosystem. We do a lot's of fast paced archviz and having a tool to quickly lay out architectural details on complex surfaces is a life saver for us. When we switched to Corona from VRay I think the only thing that almost held us back was the unavailability of sapatial texture type of thing.

But now it's here. So thank you for putting all the work into it. Much appreciated.

2022-09-03, 15:06:08
Reply #108

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile

My 2 cents:
 Aside from obvious cases like a rug or grass or simliar we used this feature to add any type of larger more widespread detail to geometry we patterned. Dirt, color gradiation, variation, atc...
Yep, exactly, I just wanted to pick up some more obvious option :D

2022-09-07, 16:15:59
Reply #109

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you for this feature!

I'm not sure if this was mentioned before, but would it be possible to have the option of locking the aspect ratio of the pattern node?
With just pattern height you need to guess the approximate actual height. With a "lock aspect ratio" checkbox you'd be able to keep the original shape and just make it bigger or smaller.

Thanks.

2022-09-07, 16:20:58
Reply #110

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Yes, we have a request like this logged and it seems doable. :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-09-13, 11:19:52
Reply #111

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
One more, while the IR is running and the checkbox "Use pattern material" is checked, then changes in the pattern material (for example, changing the color) are not updated, you must reassign the material or restart the interactive.

Hey,

This is now fixed in the latest daily build!

You can find it here: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=36810.msg203308#msg203308

Cheers,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2022-09-13, 14:08:15
Reply #112

NicolasC

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
  • CG supervisor / teacher / artist
    • View Profile
Corona Pattern seems pretty amazing indeed.
Not sure it has been mentioned before, but something that would be great would be an integrated library with premade patterns, with the ability to add custom ones.
And of course ... presets saving/loading  ;)
Maybe worth posting in Feature Request ?
Nicolas Caplat
CG supervisor / teacher / artist

2022-09-13, 14:09:12
Reply #113

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+100 on this one.

Corona Pattern seems pretty amazing indeed.
Not sure it has been mentioned before, but something that would be great would be an integrated library with premade patterns, with the ability to add custom ones.
And of course ... presets saving/loading  ;)

2022-09-13, 14:43:52
Reply #114

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I was just gonna write to this thread that I wouldn't mind motivating someone to sell some patterns of theirs :- ). Would be worthy asset on marketplace.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2022-09-13, 14:49:37
Reply #115

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey mate try this
https://cgmood.com/material/3d-fabric-patterns

If anyone can do a video on how they do it that would be amazing... can't seem to nail it

I was just gonna write to this thread that I wouldn't mind motivating someone to sell some patterns of theirs :- ). Would be worthy asset on marketplace.

2022-09-13, 17:01:13
Reply #116

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
When 9 launches, since there are no Pattern presets on Cosmos at the moment, we'll provide a zip file of some geometry that can be used in Pattern - even if it is only 5 or 6 examples, it will give everyone a head start and always nice to have something to start from (it also helps with that "Ahaaaa!" moment on understanding what it all does, safe in the knowledge that it isn't you modeled the geometry wrong ;) ).
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2022-09-15, 11:59:45
Reply #117

scionik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,
It would be nice to see an option smth. like CapHoles to prevent these holes.

Hi teams, any plans to fix this issue?
Thanks

2022-09-15, 12:03:01
Reply #118

NicolasC

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
  • CG supervisor / teacher / artist
    • View Profile
When 9 launches, since there are no Pattern presets on Cosmos at the moment, we'll provide a zip file of some geometry that can be used in Pattern - even if it is only 5 or 6 examples, it will give everyone a head start and always nice to have something to start from (it also helps with that "Ahaaaa!" moment on understanding what it all does, safe in the knowledge that it isn't you modeled the geometry wrong ;) ).
That sounds good Tom, even if I keep on thinking a built-in library of patterns would be clever, workflow-wise. A bit like what Sweep modifier proposes for custom sections, fast & easy.
« Last Edit: 2022-09-15, 14:40:12 by NicolasC »
Nicolas Caplat
CG supervisor / teacher / artist

2022-09-15, 12:56:31
Reply #119

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hi,
It would be nice to see an option smth. like CapHoles to prevent these holes.

Hi teams, any plans to fix this issue?
Thanks
Hi,

We do have this planned to do in the future. However I doubt this will make it into v9.

Thanks,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!