Author Topic: Global Volume not working properly in Corona 7 and 8  (Read 3239 times)

2022-04-27, 22:23:36

Misha_80

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Global Volume not working properly in Corona 7 and 8 .
See attached picture.

First pict "box volume" .  Volume mat attached to BOX . Working properly.
Second pict "global volume" . Volume mat attached to Global volume in settings . NOT Working properly .  No "fade out". All figures   look    equally .
In both case  material  the same  of course.
This  bug appeared in Corona 7.  6 -work normal.
« Last Edit: 2022-04-27, 22:29:40 by Misha_80 »

2022-04-28, 04:23:55
Reply #1

aler

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ha! So it's not just me who paid attention to this :)
+1

2022-04-28, 11:34:44
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
What you are seeing here is expected.
When you are using a box, it is basically surrounded by light which passes only a small distance through the volume. That's why it's brighter overall, and in turn makes the fog effect easier to see when it is in front of other objects.
When you are using global override, the fog is taking much larger volume (it is like using a HUGE box) and the lighting is evaluated based on the environment distance ("enviro distance" in development/experimental stuff rollout - https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/articles/4528469959953).
If you make the box object bigger OR if you lower the enviro distance value, you should get similar results.

Also there is a difference between rendering global volume between Corona 6 and 7 and the explanation is:
This is a result of a fix we did. Previously the global volume was around the whole scene geometry up to "enviro distance" from it. This means that removing/adding geometry changed the global volume. Now it is around camera up to "enviro distance" from it.

So to me, everything appears to be working as expected, and if there are some differences compared to Corona 6 - that's a result of fixing something that was not working correctly.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-04-28, 17:53:52
Reply #3

aler

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Also there is a difference between rendering global volume between Corona 6 and 7 and the explanation is:
This is a result of a fix we did. Previously the global volume was around the whole scene geometry up to "enviro distance" from it. This means that removing/adding geometry changed the global volume. Now it is around camera up to "enviro distance" from it.
So to me, everything appears to be working as expected, and if there are some differences compared to Corona 6 - that's a result of fixing something that was not working correctly.
What can say here? - It's terrible :)
It now looks as if a turbid glass was placed in front of the camera. Therefore can probably forget about Global Volume.
Then it's better to use ZDepth pass and further in Photoshop...

2022-04-28, 18:08:55
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
What can say here? - It's terrible :)
It now looks as if a turbid glass was placed in front of the camera. Therefore can probably forget about Global Volume.
Then it's better to use ZDepth pass and further in Photoshop...

It's not a matter of what is terrible or awesome, but what is correct or incorrect, as most things in Corona.
You can try lowering or increasing the "enviro distance" in the development/experimental stuff rollout that I mentioned in my previous post. It should be able to get results similar to pre-V7 versions of Corona this way.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-04-28, 20:20:52
Reply #5

Misha_80

• Active Users
    • View Profile
May bee its physically correct  but it  looks  bad.
And when i want to do  " tasty "  volume (mist)  effect  its  unuseful .
In many  cases its better  to have  " tasty " picture  than  very physically correct.

Spectator who  will look on my 3D picture not appreciate very physically correct , he prefer juicy (tasty) picture.
( sorry for english )

Can you  return  v6  algorithm  ?

2022-04-28, 21:44:19
Reply #6

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
But it doesn't have to look bad - "try lowering or increasing the "enviro distance" in the development/experimental stuff rollout" and let us know how you get on. This should give you the best of both worlds, a physically correct and error-free volume, with the look you are after too :)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2022-04-28, 22:30:35
Reply #7

aler

• Active Users
    • View Profile
May bee its physically correct  but it  looks  bad.
And when i want to do  " tasty "  volume (mist)  effect  its  unuseful .
In many  cases its better  to have  " tasty " picture  than  very physically correct.
+1 :)
You can try lowering or increasing the "enviro distance" in the development/experimental stuff rollout that I mentioned in my previous post. It should be able to get results similar to pre-V7 versions of Corona this way.
Would not like to use this mode in vain, ...besides it doesn't do anything.
Here's a very quick test - everything is visually.

2022-04-29, 10:36:50
Reply #8

Misha_80

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you make the box object bigger OR if you lower the enviro distance value, you should get similar results.

I have already tried it. Big box and changing "enviro distance"( for global volume) .
Its not changing anything.
Volume attached to box looking much better.
Global volume  still looking bad and unuseful now.

2022-04-30, 03:22:15
Reply #9

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I too see this environmental behavior still incorrect and hard to use (for lack of control), but is getting closer.

Couple of things missing I'd like to see:

1. Dependent on gravity, atmosphere gets thinner w/ altitude. (this can be fully automated as both supported apps have gravity settings)

2. Dependent on molecules it also gets different coloration (alike what Turbulence does to Sky and it could also be automated - driven by sky + customized with SSS features: Absorption & Scattering) 

3. Dependent on humidity, semi-automated since it could be controlled with Anisotropy/Direction, based on Sun & Camera/Eye position - a rainbow...

;) you can do it

2022-04-30, 05:57:48
Reply #10

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Even C4D's Physical Sky has a rainbow that can be lin ked to turbidity ;)

2022-04-30, 08:59:21
Reply #11

aler

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Even in AR there's a more advanced approach to fog - Link...