Chaos Corona for Cinema 4D > [C4D] Resolved Bugs

[Maybe a Bug?] Anisotropic reflection on capped cylinders

<< < (2/5) > >>

WorkFlow:
So I just watched that video about the anisotopy settings and it's quite informative but...

I was hoping that the default anisotopy could handle flat radial reflection kinda like it does with radial reflection on spheres.
The solution shown in the video was to use a "brushed metal" texture as gloss and/or bump map which therefore has to be mapped correctly.

Another downside to this texturing method is, that for assigning textures to object parts you have to convert it to a polygon object first...

romullus:
You don't need "brushed metl" or any else texture in glossiness channel for anisotropy to work, but spiral gradient texmap for anisotropy rotation is a must. There is no other way around. Luckily it's very easy to map such objects for anisotropy - it's just basic planar mapping.

WorkFlow:

--- Quote from: romullus on 2016-02-17, 09:06:53 ---You don't need "brushed metl" or any else texture in glossiness channel for anisotropy to work, but spiral gradient texmap for anisotropy rotation is a must. There is no other way around. Luckily it's very easy to map such objects for anisotropy - it's just basic planar mapping.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for your help! I tried what you said and didn't quite get the result I was hoping for...
Did you mean that I have to make one material with a radial gradient in the rotation slot and assign it to the top and bottom of the object and one basic metal for the rest?
Or is everything in one single material?

I kinda got the reflections to work in the middle part but there was still that circular "break" where the reflections would change somehow...

romullus:
Single material should cover it - it's just a matter of anisotropy rotation map. I may give you some example later.

Edit: here's video to better visualise how rotation map should look like. Colours for cylinder side might be 0,0,0 64,64,64 128,128,128 or 256,256,256 depending of orientation of your object or UVs.

WorkFlow:

--- Quote from: romullus on 2016-02-18, 09:57:56 ---Single material should cover it - it's just a matter of anisotropy rotation map. I may give you some example later.

Edit: here's video to better visualise how rotation map should look like. Colours for cylinder side might be 0,0,0 64,64,64 128,128,128 or 256,256,256 depending of orientation of your object or UVs.

--- End quote ---

Thanks a lot for your answer and for that video! I tried to map my objects like you did, but had not the time for a uvw unwrap so its just 2 materials with polygon selections - this explains the "reflection-break" right above the beveled corner. The radial reflection basicly works now!

However the break on the base is still happening. I also rendered the right cylinder with the gradient active as diffuse and you can see it's mapped the same on the "inside" but the reflection changes...

Is it possible that this is a Cinema 4D only issue or am I just doing something wrong?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version