Author Topic: Sky with Bloom and Glare  (Read 2546 times)

2019-08-22, 16:30:41

Exactly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Not sure if I am missing something obvious but hopefully someone can help me. I did look online but only found a reference that was over two years ago so not sure if things have changed.

I have a scene with some objects that all have a light material on them. Also included in the scene is a corona sky with an HDRI in the light material attached to it.

I have the objects and Sky placed in various Light Mix/Light Selects so I can have individual control over them in the CIE.

I like the effect I am getting on the objects with my Bloom but want the sky to ignore any Bloom/Glare settings. No matter what I do I can't seem to get it to work. Is this actually possible without going the PS route?

2019-08-22, 16:35:11
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Bloom and Glare is a post effect, done on the 2D image based on the intensity of the pixel, so cannot be applied to some objects and not others. You'll have to adjust the intensity of the lights compared to the sky and use the Threshold to do it "in scene" (but of course that will affect your lighting, if those light objects are emitting light). Otherwise, doing it in post would be the way to go!
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-08-22, 17:02:40
Reply #2

Exactly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the info Tom.

I did try the threshold but could never get the right balance. I must admit I am not sure how it is supposed to work as I could not find it in the help file.
If my Threshold is set to 10, does that mean only lights./light materials with a value of 10 or more will have bloom/glare applied to them or is it something else?

Thanks.

2019-08-22, 17:04:35
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Well, it means pixels above the threshold will have bloom and glare applied, and below the threshold will not. However, this doesn't equate to light intensity, since there's also exposure, LUTs, highlight compression and other such tone mapping to take into account that will affect the value of the pixel :)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us