Author Topic: Corrupt Main Render When Saved from VFB  (Read 2641 times)

2019-07-19, 13:59:44

NikaNikitina

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Corona 4 hotfix, 3ds Max 2019

No pattern to behavior. If I save all as EXR out of vfb when render completes, the main beauty pass will not always save properly. Any attempt to open it in photoshop throws out errors. If I open the CXR and save out of that, there are no issues. Unsure if its a PS issue or Corona issue. Have never had this happen to me in years of working with EXRs and Photoshop. Has happened a handful of times with Corona 4 hotfix.

Thanks! C

2019-07-19, 14:04:32
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Are you using something like EXR-IO (https://www.exr-io.com/) to open EXRs in Photoshop? PS is pretty rubbish at opening EXRs without it, so I'd try that if you aren't using it already (it's free).

If you are already using it, uploading an example EXR that has this problem would be useful (though if it is EXR and not CXR, most likely it is a Max issue). Another thing in case you didn't know, you can just save as CXR and rename the file to EXR - it will be a valid EXR, Corona just adds extra data to the EXR format for CXRs. Saves you opening the CXR in the CIE and saving it out again.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-07-19, 17:44:32
Reply #2

NikaNikitina

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
I haven't tried EXR-IO but will check it out. Thank you! What do you mean by PS being rubbish at EXR? I'm only curious because outside of forcing alpha, I've never noticed any issues (unless it was exrs from Vray in which case .... oddities all the time.)

Can you expand on the CXR-EXR suggestion? I have tried that, but will only have the beauty pass open. Would love to understand what you mean.

If I have issues with EXRIO and the file still doesn't work, I will upload it. Thank you!

2019-07-19, 17:59:21
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
So long as the CXR has more than the beauty pass in it, just rename the file to EXR and it will open as a regular EXR in anything that opens EXRs. (EDIT - with all the layers, I should add)

I forget what was so awful about PS, but I soon quit using its native EXR opening and saving due to problems, and moved to EXR-IO :)
« Last Edit: 2019-07-19, 18:04:06 by TomG »
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-07-23, 15:26:12
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
If the issue remains, please send us an example EXR file like that. Here is the uploader: https://corona-renderer.com/upload
Please send us your file name after the upload and let us know which method you used (regular or dropbox).
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us