Author Topic: Hdri + artificial lighting problems  (Read 2651 times)

2020-04-24, 19:10:33

nwiz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello everyone!

I am having some issues with a sunset scene lighting..

The output for the HDRI is set to 32 as it is the right multiplier number from the manufacturer of this HDRI. The problem is when I turn the lights on, the HDRI "eats" all the artificial lighting from the scene so I cant see any light.

If i set the output to 1 I can see the lights but it is not supposed to be the way it works this HDRI.

It may be a dumb question but it is driving my mad...

Any help would me much appreciated.

Thanks.

2020-04-26, 14:03:58
Reply #1

3dboomerang

• Active Users
  • Head of 3D
    • View Profile
    • 3DFLOW
can u post visuals and settings?

2020-04-26, 14:20:12
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
If HDRI represents lights condition that is not supposed to vastly overpower specific artificial lighting, yet it does, then either your artificial lights are set to incorrect strength, or statement that this HDRI input should be set at 32 multiplier, is incorrect.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2020-04-26, 19:52:18
Reply #3

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is it one of the 3DCollective HDRI's by any chance because I'm pretty sure those settings are for VRay (VRayHDRI)

2020-04-26, 22:54:33
Reply #4

nwiz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is it one of the 3DCollective HDRI's by any chance because I'm pretty sure those settings are for VRay (VRayHDRI)

It is from 3DCollective yes, Does it work in a different way as in Vray? I thought the multiplier value was the same concept.

2020-04-26, 22:54:55
Reply #5

nwiz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If HDRI represents lights condition that is not supposed to vastly overpower specific artificial lighting, yet it does, then either your artificial lights are set to incorrect strength, or statement that this HDRI input should be set at 32 multiplier, is incorrect.

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated.

2020-04-26, 23:01:13
Reply #6

nwiz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
can u post visuals and settings?

Thank you for your reply! Unfortunately I cannot post visuals due to copyrights but settings are as follows: HDRI output 32 (simple as that)
EV:-1.70
HC: 5
Filmic highlights: 1
Filmic shadows: 0

Lights Watts are correct since night scenes are very nice and works very well with another 3DCollective night HDRI. (I set the watts following light manufacturers info)

2020-04-27, 13:43:18
Reply #7

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just by the power of logic, if you're artificial lights are correct real world values, and your HDRI is overpowering them, that tells me your HDRI is too strong, so lower the multiplier to suit your scene.

It's difficult to help without screenshots.  But just lower the multiplier.  Just because the 3D Collective PDF states to use a multiplier of 32, doesn't mean you have to.

2020-04-27, 15:42:01
Reply #8

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Just by the power of logic, if you're artificial lights are correct real world values, and your HDRI is overpowering them, that tells me your HDRI is too strong, so lower the multiplier to suit your scene.

It's difficult to help without screenshots.  But just lower the multiplier.  Just because the 3D Collective PDF states to use a multiplier of 32, doesn't mean you have to.

^This!

What you can try: if your other lights are set correctly, place a Corona Camera in your scene and set it to some realistic photographic values - e.g. ISO 400, shutter 1/50, f 4. Those are just some numbers off the top of my head, but the goal is to make the other lights appear plausible. Then, add your HDRI and tune its multiplier to get the HDRI vs other lights intensity you would expect.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-04-28, 22:34:57
Reply #9

nwiz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
thank you for help aswell!I will try this