Author Topic: Using Corona Materials  (Read 14764 times)

2014-10-03, 08:57:32

K u r a i

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I know how to use bitmaps in Corona and apply colour correction... but I am confused by the how to assign the 100 Corona Materials from Corona Library.

I am confused by the Max file that comes with each material and how I load it into the Material Editor.
Can someone please explain as clearly as possible.... or direct me to a link.

Thanks.

2014-10-03, 09:33:49
Reply #1

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
Haven't really used many of the materials from the Corona Material library but I think you should open the material's max scene and then save the material from it somewhere so you can reuse/load it in your other scenes.
My 3d stock portfolio - http://3docean.net/user/tomislavn

2014-10-03, 09:59:56
Reply #2

K u r a i

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Okay, thanks, I will give that a try :)

But I am baffled why there is no adequate support material explaining things fully. The 3 vids on youtube really don't cut it. There should be many short vids explaining every facet of the software.
Hopefully, Corona will address this before they take our cash.

2014-10-03, 10:23:25
Reply #3

K u r a i

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Okay, I loaded the Max file and have it in my Material Editor.
What next?

How do I save it so I can apply it simply like a Vray VRmat?
Or do I have to open a Max file everytime I want to apply it? I notice this method changes my unit scale and I have to change things back.

2014-10-03, 10:31:47
Reply #4

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
The easiest solution to your problem should be merging all of the material scenes and then making yourself a material library from all of them :)

I can check it later when I am by my computer.

Meanwhile you can check this link under "Saving materials and maps" part:
http://www.cadtutor.net/tutorials/3ds-max/edit-and-save-materials.php
My 3d stock portfolio - http://3docean.net/user/tomislavn

2014-10-03, 10:44:56
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Okay, thanks, I will give that a try :)

But I am baffled why there is no adequate support material explaining things fully. The 3 vids on youtube really don't cut it. There should be many short vids explaining every facet of the software.
Hopefully, Corona will address this before they take our cash.
Corona has nothing to do with it, at all.
I strongly recomend you to start with tutorials that ships with max itself: http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/16/ENU/3ds-Max-Tutorials/ When you'll complete all of them, you can look for specific tutorials on youtube or a paid ones, like digital tutors, etc. Then, and only then, you can come to forums and ask for help if such need will arise.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2014-10-03, 10:46:35
Reply #6

K u r a i

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Brilliant. Thanks Tomislavn. Sounds like a good plan.

I have spent three months learning 3Ds Max. This is the last hurdle for me.... learning to apply materials in Corona.
I am so used to my VRmats in Vray it's difficult for me to adapt.

I appreciate all the help I can :)

2014-10-03, 10:59:05
Reply #7

K u r a i

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Corona Renderer.... press render... job done.

So what exactly is your role Romullus? And how can you help people coming from Vray to adopt to your software?
What is this forum for?
What is the "I need help" section of the forum for?

"Do you have a problem with Corona, don't know how to use some feature, create some material. etc? Ask for help here".

Who can I talk to to get a professional response to a genuine question? It seems your users are more willing to help than the Moderators.

« Last Edit: 2014-10-03, 11:07:16 by K u r a i »

2014-10-03, 11:17:00
Reply #8

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
here we go again...
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-10-03, 11:21:22
Reply #9

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Kurai, i'm not related with Corona devs in at all. I'm just moderating Corona forum. Do not let my words and actions to affect your judgement on Corona in any way, please.

You have been told numerous times, where you have to look for help in first place. It's pretty obvious that you're lacking basic knowledge of 3ds max, so blaming Corona for being too unfriendly is just unfair from your perspective. And don't get me wrong, my previous post wasn't meant to put you off - almost everybody started from 3ds max help and tutorials and it can teach you a lot in very begining.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2014-10-03, 11:29:20
Reply #10

K u r a i

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think I will change my name to something else and re-join. I created alot of bad karma with my first post... but that came about from not finding the support I wanted. I was frustrated.

I can use 3Ds Max + Vray. I can use Sketchup + Vray. But I am confused how to use Corona Materials... I have spent days trying to figure it out.

So, please, lets start again.... I beg you. I spent a small fortune on 3Ds Max 2015 and have abandoned Vray 3.0 in favour of Corona.
Anytime you see my avatar... just understand I am 47 and pick things up much slower than most.

2014-10-03, 11:47:21
Reply #11

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Try changing your attitude instead of your name, that would actually help.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-10-03, 11:50:14
Reply #12

crazyman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello Kurai,

You see the Corona Renderer does not come with preset materials apart from default one. On the other hand http://coronamaterials.com is library of materials people produced and published, that is not perfectly organized yet. Sometimes members posting their materials saved in different 3DMAX versions. Few times it happens maps were missing from material. No standard or strict rules being developed yet. Lets hope it will change soon.

Answering your question I create my own routine for importing materials from this site. Usually I do open downloaded file, making sure all paths are correct, no missing maps etc. Cleaning scene from objects i do not need like camera or plane set, consolidating material editor so only slots with materials I do really need left in there (I have to keep it very organized due the farm and network paths).

After that I either save scene with material for the future in my library, so I can easy merge it into my master model when I need it, or creating a new *.mat file and saving material presets in here. And this is basically it.

Do not hesitate to ask any questions, and sorry if we started from the wrong foot.
Good Luck!

2014-10-03, 12:56:25
Reply #13

K u r a i

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Crazyman. I will try this method out. Thanks for your time :)

Keymaster. I deal with millionaires and billionaires in my line of work. Sometimes they get stressed out and speak to me badly cos they want things right.
I take the blows and help them any way I can... in the end they remember this and become loyal.... cos when the need was there... I was ready to help.

I think it's YOU who should change your attitde since you are an ambassodor of the site. Trolling beginners won't keep you in favour in the long run.
I will change my name.... so I do not have to be educated in etiquette from people like youself. Corona is a great product (brilliant) but the service is abit Wild West :)

2014-10-03, 13:11:32
Reply #14

zzubnik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
...the service is a bit Wild West :)

Welcome to the Internets! :)

2014-10-03, 13:38:20
Reply #15

K u r a i

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Elvis has left the building :)

2014-10-03, 19:39:53
Reply #16

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
Make a .mat file to have a material library of Corona mats:

1) In the Material Editor, under the "Material/Map Browser" window there is a down arrow next to the search box. Click that then choose "new material library".
2) When it pops up in the list below, right click it and choose "rename group" to rename it to something like "Corona Mats".
3) Right click on the group again then there should be a line that points to where the file exists with an arrow pointing right. Highlight that then click "save as" to save the .mat file somewhere.
4) Open the material files you downloaded and find the material under the scene materials or sample slots drop down in the material/map browser. Right click it and select "copy to...", then select the .mat file you created.

I would then suggest to go back to step 3 and save the .mat file after copying the materials to it since they are in different files.

As for the maps/materials that are Corona specific, I do not believe there is a collective document/post on what they all do, though most are similar to those that vray uses. Those maps/mats are:

Mats
CoronaLightMtl
CoronaMtl
CoronaPortalMtl
CoronaRaySwitchMtl
CoronaShadowCatcherMtl
CoronaVolumeMtl

Maps
CoronaAO
CoronaFractal2D
CoronaFrontBackMap
CoronaMapOutput
CoronaMixTex
CoronaNormalTex
CoronaRaySwitchTex
CoronaSky
CoronaSolidTex
CoronaWireTex

There might be more in the daily builds, but I'm not certain of that. I don't use all of those, so there are a few that I am unfamiliar with since I've never used them. To be honest, I wouldn't mind a page/post/doc, whatever, that describes each of them as a help/reference doc. I think some are on the Corona Wiki page, but I think they could be explained more by the advanced users and dev team here.

2014-10-03, 20:08:16
Reply #17

K u r a i

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I very much apprecaite your help Steyin :)

And to the Corona Moderators....especially the Keymaster....I very much regret if I have caused offense in any way. Corona is a brilliant product and I am very excited about it's future.

I will change my identity but I am an ardent fan.

Good luck :)