Author Topic: VFB Limited output options?  (Read 2468 times)

2016-12-20, 11:47:44

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm a C4D user so I'm grateful for the option to switch between the corona VFB and the C4D picture viewer for saving as in my opinion the options for formats are much better.

I'm curious to know how people save out images in the VFB? From my experiments all I see is either saving out an exr layer by layer which seems like a waste of time or a corona exr dump which gives you every layer under the sun with the file size you might expect from that. Is it possible to save out an exr that just has the layers you have selected in the multipass? You can do this using the C4D picture viewer - although for some reason saving takes much longer even though there are fewer layers!

But failing that the only other options I can see a single layered save outs of 8 bit formats, even tiff is 8 bit only. The Jpeg save is also overly compressed which spoils the image for the sake of a few mb here and there. If I save out a jpeg from the C4D picture viewer I get a quality slider and the 100% quality jpeg has noticeably less artifacts than the corona VFB one.

My standard default has long been a 16bit multilayered PSD which I think gives the best option for dynamic range vs file size once you get 8K image size with 10-15 layers. 32 bit files are huge and you end up in that situation where ultimately you need to convert down at some stage but if you need to re-render bits and then merge in to your 16 bit PS file then it gets tricky.

Would it be possible to get a 16bit multipass PSD save option in future VFB builds?

2016-12-20, 15:00:11
Reply #1

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This thread has been moved so I'm assuming the MAX version has a lot more options for direct saving out of the VFB. Hopefully we will also get these in the next couple of releases. Its a bit of a pain jumping between frame buffers, Id rather just use the corona one.

2016-12-20, 15:20:46
Reply #2

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
yep, max version uses 3dsmax saving mechanism which have a lot of options (and a lot of bugs too ;))
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-12-20, 17:05:47
Reply #3

4b4

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've been using the save all option from the VFB and then comping in fusion. It works quite nicely as you can have separate files for each pass so don't have to mess round with channel booleans, etc quite so much. Each layer just has it's own loader that you refresh if you need to update the output from C4D.

Not sure that really helps you with the file size issue as you just end up with a load of smaller exr's and I've never compared the file size to 16bit PSD's but it might help?

I agree with you it could be improved by having a save selected option where you check off the different passes that you want to save.