Author Topic: Forest & Ocean  (Read 40903 times)

2014-10-17, 21:22:02
Reply #15

ylucic

• Active Users
    • View Profile
excelent render quality and lightning mood! ...the only thing that bothers me (and its a very small thing) is the photo in the background...
The trees that are closer to the window should be either reflecting a little bit or cast some shadows in the horizontal window frame. because of the way that photo was taken, the trees seem to be much closer to the window. maybe some polys with opacity maps will do the trick . And if you are using Fstops to control exposure instead of EV in corona, then probably at f5.0 or some wider aperture some bokeh would be visible in the farest hill.

and a less technical comment/question :) ... as far as commercial work goes: why are you choosing Corona? Here at the office a partner and I are still "playing" with Corona, transforming vray scene and what not. And the results in interiors are far superior in terms of lightning compared to vray (in our scenes at least). We have some 20+ i7cpus (lots of cores to play with), so computing time is not and issue. Getting great lightning in interiors with corona is super fast and fun to do. The problem is, we have to convince "the boss" to be able to use Corona in at least ONE project yet xd ....for you, choosing corona has been a "less time setting up lightning" criteria?...better quality?...photorealism?

anyhow ....great images :)

render times? ...did you use batch rendering or backcburner with strips??
Industrial Designer
SCL

2014-10-17, 22:02:12
Reply #16

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
Those are some really really amazing renders, great realism! The night one is definitely my favorite :)
My 3d stock portfolio - http://3docean.net/user/tomislavn

2014-10-17, 23:14:29
Reply #17

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Thank you much guys :- ) It's only very small project but I sort of liked it, it gave me quite freedom and I always enjoy that, although with very narrow time constraints.

Really nice images! I really like Forest_Vignette1.jpg The settle DOF adds a lot of realism

In-render DOF :- ) I just set the GI/AA slightly lower (4-8) so I can get more AA passes in same time, because GI will be long clean before the DOF converged.
Makes life easier, I almost always use subtle DOF, unless it's main hero-shot, where I avoid it, most clients don't particulary like it, but it's ok, it should be informative.

And the results in interiors are far superior in terms of lightning compared to vray.

..and a less technical comment/question :) ... as far as commercial work goes: why are you choosing Corona?
render times? ...did you use batch rendering or backcburner with strips??

Maybe not the best thing to write on forum but Corona doesn't give me much nicer images under most conditions, I can get almost identical look in Corona and Vray. My work is still my work...it's not work of Corona.
I would be lying if I say I don't get slightly upset when few (or lot...) folks write stuff like "Wow, Corona power". Like,...huh ?

But it makes my life so much easier, that I literally don't spend a second worrying about setting up something. I don't, I create, build my scenes and render them. It's not only about saving time, but also sanity. It keeps me in better mood overall
knowing that I don't need to care about stuff that isn't important to your results. It always render and finishes and gives you good technical condition (no artifacts, etc..) It's also so fast evolving, and it's evolving in right direction, both Ondra and Adam understand what is the correct direction to go, they don't listen blindly to few "pros" who live outside of reality (like it happens on Chaos forum sometimes). They listen, but still keep their vision, don't compromise the simplicity while not being too rigid about finding solutions to issues. They have my trust in way no other renderer can give me, I believe once it goes commercial it will evolve finely to allow basically any production.

Render times, few hours, depending how many machines were free :- ) I don't have short times, but they're still super decent for where I push it, don't optimalize, just render hi-res. Comparatively, it's far faster than brute force (or way faster than all the unbiased ones), but obviously, not as fast as fully cached (IR/Final gather/etc..). I don't care much, I also prefer to simply buy more PCs.

I use distributed directly or Backburner (with distributed managed by server), but regular, no strips. Maybe I was lucky, but I never got any issues with neither network rendering

second set is too bright imho

Personal aesthetics :- ) I have few images that are way brighter than this.

that gives a lot of triangles and corona  cant shadow those cause needs an aproximation (terminator something i think it's called).
Its clearly visible in "Forest_nigth 8k".

Like I said, it was incorrect normal map, if you check the close-up, which was rendered later, there is no issue, because I changed it. Terminator is when there are not enough subdivs to smoothly show normal map, but this was issue of the normal map itself, It's tesselated enough.

(PS: who is veronica?)

My girlfriend, my business partner too :- ) We run the studio together, with two modelers at the moment.
« Last Edit: 2014-10-17, 23:38:23 by Juraj_Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-10-17, 23:46:45
Reply #18

Coronaut

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Cool looking stuff! Why did you choose cinema like aspect? I now you had your reasons but if you care to share i find strange doing this for product viz.
Apart from that you are naming files in exact manner as i do and i find that trippy :D i have little observation regarding Image Forest_Vignette3 that is really annoying me.
Cutting out bed shade from the framing, that is something that draws in eye as it connects with image frame. Well that is why i have asked why did you choose this Aspect, i wouldn't find that strange that client has requested to be like that after you did final renders and that this i just residue from cropping all images in this aspect ratio. But since i notice you are parallel lines/golden ratio fetishist, i am not that sure. :D
Like mood you have in ocean images it feels like summer but i think that it lacks contrast just a little bit(i have monitor that is calibrated) It seems to me you have pushed highlights somewhat too much. At first when image is small it looks like you overblown HL but viewing larger(full size) you can clearly see that everything is preserved. So if you are by any chance using spyder calibrator and you have set your monitor to 150cd(measure by calibrator) raise it up to 200cd :)
Cheers.

2014-10-17, 23:52:54
Reply #19

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

That's too many questions man :- D you always talk too much :- ).

Well, I don't have logical answer for all, so, with me it's always good to know that I often do stuff just because I like. Not because it's better or correct, but just because I can and fancy in the moment.
I have a lot of fun doing 3D for job and I don't take many rules seriously. My compositions often suck, it's hit&miss, I take few things too rigidly, and completely forfeit others, it heavily depends on the moment.

(plus client needed the shots for website, that's why 21:9)

Haha, glad you like the naming. I was thinking...maybe I should change it before I upload it...but I am too lazy, who cares. And damn, some people notice :- D.

Regarding calibration, I do use calibrated Dell U3014 (few of them), but I have them set slightly dimmer than what average monitor happens to be, but just slightly. But the overblown aesthetic is just what I like. The low contrast is also intended.
I know it looks bad to many, but...like I said, there is no reason, I just like it. I like it bad :- )
« Last Edit: 2014-10-18, 00:16:57 by Juraj_Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2014-10-18, 00:10:28
Reply #20

Stan_But

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/archdizs

2014-10-18, 00:13:14
Reply #21

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Thank you Headoff :- )

2014-10-18, 00:46:51
Reply #22

Coronaut

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well for most of people that do not have calibrated monitor this would look wtf? And that is more of a problem of them then it is yours as this printed out on glossy paper will be wicked.
Well if that wasn't your intention(for framing etc) it just shows your aesthetic approach works and talent ofc.
Usually people do not care about framing composition and as it is 3D they try to achieve something by moving objects in composition, instead searching for composition like you would do in real life. That tends to mess up frame more often then to correct it, as on subconscious level brain always search for patterns to replicate of what he finds proportionally ideal, as it is perfect way of being in conjunction with everything that has evolved since the beginning of time same as human perception of naturally occurring phenomena and things and finally our understanding of everything around us.
For instance there is unconfirmed story about architect I.M. Pei who was responsible for pyramid in Louvre that he done that just as he find it "pleasing to the eye" and that he didn't want to scale Great pyramid of Giza... I guess same as someone who done pyramids before him and same as there is similarly looking man made objects and observation on every corner of the globe. 
I think it is cool that you are respecting your talent but i think you will broaden your horizons even more if you are willing to understand on rational level why you do what you do if you are serious that you do not care and not just trolling ;)
As we mentioned in other topic, more or less people are able to replicate quite effectively everything technical, especially settings etc. so called tricks of the trade... but usually they do not have deeper understanding about why they find something appealing, actually very few.
Unfortunately based on my experience few people question something like that, and crazy part is that almost everybody on this planet is able to observe and notice something like that. Observation of proportions and bunch of other things(to keep it short :D) every brain is capable finding that "call it as you want" but far greater brains trough human history wasn't be able to do explain all this...   
Brain diarrhea. I won't do it anymore!
I need to act accordingly, what settings did you use, WOW did you used HDRI or Sun sky, is that PG HDRI :D ahahah

2014-10-18, 01:05:30
Reply #23

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Well, I didn't say I don't care always by default :- ) I am fully aware of the rules, but, if I feel I want to do what pleases me instead, I stick to the latter.
Nonetheless, to answer on 'rational level' why I simply cut it, is that I had no intention to put focus on that item, it's simply there, but the focus should be overall room.
It is 'product rendering', but also isn't. So I cut the 'room', not the item in this way.

Haha, well, answer will be simply for those who ask, because it's default for most (with 2048 HD cache only for finals), and 4-8 GI-AA for mor "DOF-y" shots. Neither is necessary though, that's the beauty of Corona, it's simply priority,
to avoid confusion for people who think of it as "different" settings.

And yeah, Corona Sun+Sky :- ) Single nightime HDRi (CG-Source, I don't know which one honestly, I only have 6 of them) for the single night shot. S+S all the way for super flexibility.

2014-10-18, 01:26:08
Reply #24

ylucic

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Maybe not the best thing to write on forum but Corona doesn't give me much nicer images under most conditions, I can get almost identical look in Corona and Vray. My work is still my work...it's not work of Corona.
I would be lying if I say I don't get slightly upset when few (or lot...) folks write stuff like "Wow, Corona power". Like,...huh ?

I get you perfectly..it happens to us when testing for exteriors... we havent made any exterior renders that look good or at least as good as we can produce using vray..YET ...
And its true that the experience we users have with corona are very different. In our case the scenes we've tested look very very (very) good in corona when compared to vray. We can see it in the way shadows behave and in complex materials. But far more important is because of the fact that we are seeing better images overall in lightning with a LOT of less tweeking (fake fill lights, tedious color mapping, horrendous splotches, endless spinners editing, etc) and that's a Wow factor for us because it makes this job fun. It's like when I have to use Grasshopper for Rhino, it makes your life easier, its fun and the community online it awesome :)

and a little question about your workflow if you dont mind :) ...are you converting materials with the scripts o doing materials from scratch? maybe a silly question, but we've been spending a lot time correcting material albedos so the models can work in different light conditions ....

Industrial Designer
SCL

2014-10-18, 01:47:12
Reply #25

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

and a little question about your workflow if you dont mind :) ...are you converting materials with the scripts o doing materials from scratch? maybe a silly question, but we've been spending a lot time correcting material albedos so the models can work in different light conditions ....

50:50. Every important material is from scratch, but is also largely due to fact I use Corona for more than year (almost year and half) and I didn't had any previous library or something much to work from. I also constantly change how I make mats.
But for those numerous decorations and stuff, convert works flawlessly. The specularity will be off slightly but that's not very noticeable for deco stuff.

Regarding albedo, my Corona materials don't look different than those from Vray, I use the same principles, and the system is almost identical as well between these two renderers.

The fact that Corona does create better looking images for so many users is more testament to acessibility of Corona, you don't have to work for the technical quality as you have to do in Vray, you don't need to do any choices.
I can set Vray3 to work very similarly to Corona {BF/LC; Min.Shading rate >8; CRL=0, Progressive sampler,etc...} but I don't have to move a finger to make Corona work towards best quality. This makes it the same engine for seasoned pros as beginners.
And that's great, that's how evolution of software should be these times.

It's also the same what you called 'wow factor', for me it's 'fun factor' :- ) Taking out the unnecessary tediousness and just, looking towards what it gives me after I press render.

2014-10-18, 03:31:25
Reply #26

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
Stunning as always man.

2014-10-18, 05:57:19
Reply #27

borisquezadaa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well i feel kind of ashamed. I revisited this gallery at home. It looks like the monitor at work is really badly calibrated. I retire all what i have said.
This set of images really rocks Juraj!.
And  on behance gallery it looks even better.

I remembered some time ago calibrated this monitor but never noticed such dramatic difference.

Also checked those beds from Veronika you talk about... mother of god! its all over google.
Lucky both share the same passion.
Must go... too much to learn.
Have a great weekend!.
« Last Edit: 2014-10-18, 08:51:19 by borisquezadaa »
What i do with Corona My Corona post of random stuff rendering
WARNING: English.dll still loading...

2014-10-18, 10:48:52
Reply #28

johan belmans

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be
what can I say..... well done.

I presume the painted stone wall and thick grey blanket (first set of images)or both achieved with displacement?

I have some time before I go to beer I will post short tut what it is, moment.

Have a look at third post from top, I uploaded two pics, I hope it illustrates it.

Many thanks

I am not sure if you went out for beers.............  ;-)
Have a splendid weekend!
« Last Edit: 2014-10-18, 13:19:57 by belly »

2014-10-18, 11:52:33
Reply #29

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Nice set of renders Juraj, I really like the mood in "Forest_Vignette1"!

If you don´t mind me asking (got a little curious), how long is "very narrow time constraints"?