Author Topic: To share or not to share...  (Read 13867 times)

2014-10-16, 21:14:22
Reply #15

londonvisuals

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@ Romullus - dude have you even read what I have said ? In one of my posts I said that I pictured those things in a bit extreme way, but that was my point to a certain degree, to provoke a debate on this topic.

In other of my posts quoting Juraj i stated that the way people ask and the things about which they ask is my main point here.
Asking the exact HDRI (please perceive it in a broader perspective - super detailed questions, like the exact f-stop, camera ISO, HDRI multiplier) is like Juraj said - asking "how can i copy this or that".

I also stated that i don't mind giving directions. Have you also failed to see that ?

I believe that one should be given a fishing pole, not the fish itself, and all  about people (many people, it is not my intention to generalise) seem to care nowdays is not learning how to fish, but how to get the fish in the easiest of possible ways.

Knowing how to fish will let you do that wherewer there is water and deal with various species of fish, being given the fish itself all the time will make you hungry at some point, cuz when your client requests very specific fish for himslef you will have no clue how to aproach it and instead you will have to rely on others.

And dude, please, don't call me pathetic, at least try to see all shades of grey, not only black or white extremes like you are doing now.

And no one is forbidding you from making tutorials, the thing is that less and less people even bother to search for them and instead will ask you here to hold their hand and walk them through how you did certain things step by step, detail by detail - so you will probably just waste your time, but this none of my business.

You felt bit to black-and-white seeing of the issue and I don't think Londonvisuals meant that at all although it seems most took it that way.

Exactly.

« Last Edit: 2014-10-16, 21:36:25 by londonvisuals »

2014-10-16, 21:35:17
Reply #16

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I have to admit i too get very tired of people asking too specific questions. I don't mind when someone asks something like "How do you achieve so good looking metal materials", but i often get questions like "give metal settings plz". That just implies these people do not intend to understand any context of what they are doing. They just want to copy the exact data sequence without any comprehension of what the hell it is they are doing. And use that same sequence until someone tells them better one.

I remember someone asking me about how to make some simple leather material, and i gave him exhaustingly long explanation of how material parameters work, what each of them does, how one should go about using them to create various types of materials, even some rules of thumb on how to use Fresnel IOR and so on. I think it was almost 2 A4 pages of text. And then the person just sent me the picture of leather chair asking "how to make this leather" and then sending more pictures of various concretes, glass materials, metals, and so on, without any signs of even reading the long essay i wrote him. It was completely wasted time, ever since that, i try to avoid answering people who ask too specific question, because it's usually very good indication that they do not understand the context of what they do, and they probably don't even want to.

Like seriously... if you know just basic principals of image based lighting and image dynamic range, which is not that hard to understand, and average untalented person can still learn in within one day of reading, then you easily know what kind of HDRI map should you search for, when you need to achieve certain lighting setting, and you easily know, how to evaluate assets available on internet and pick the right one.

That HDRI map will not automagically make your rendering looking exactly like rendering of the person you asked for it. There's lot more to that. Mostly it's just hundreds of little workflow details that add up together to create great looking output. And those little details are impossible to implement unless you know the context you are doing. So if some asks me too specific thing, then I usually get impression answering would be just waste of my time, because it would not help the person anyway, as they do not show any intention of trying to understand the context.

Same goes for materials. Particular sequence of settings is not what makes good looking materials. It's knowing the material itself... all the parameters, and all the available maps, and how all these things work in context, what allows you to create great looking materials. Because once you know the context, then you can get truly creative with it, while still not losing grips of knowing what you are doing, and knowing how to get to the exact result you need without getting stuck anywhere.

So to wrap it up... for me, ultimately, it's when the question i get shows some actual amount of interest in the topic, i get a feeling that my answer will actually be worth the time and will help the person who asked it. And these kinds of questions are usually easy to identify based on how specific they are.

But then again, honestly, here i would probably also ask about the HDRI. Not because i expect it to automatically make me create pictures of the same quality, but simply because the map just looks pretty :)
« Last Edit: 2014-10-16, 21:40:36 by Rawalanche »

2014-10-16, 21:44:03
Reply #17

londonvisuals

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have to admit i too get very tired of people asking too specific questions. I don't mind when someone asks something like "How do you achieve so good looking metal materials", but i often get questions like "give metal settings plz". That just implies these people do not intend to understand any context of what they are doing. They just want to copy the exact data sequence without any comprehension of what the hell it is they are doing. And use that same sequence until someone tells them better one.

I remember someone asking me about how to make some simple leather material, and i gave him exhaustingly long explanation of how material parameters work, what each of them does, how one should go about using them to create various types of materials, even some rules of thumb on how to use Fresnel IOR and so on. I think it was almost 2 A4 pages of text. And then the person just sent me the picture of leather chair asking "how to make this leather" and then sending more pictures of various concretes, glass materials, metals, and so on, without any signs of even reading the long essay i wrote him. It was completely wasted time, ever since that, i try to avoid answering people who ask too specific question, because it's usually very good indication that they do not understand the context of what they do, and they probably don't even want to.

Like seriously... if you know just basic principals of image based lighting and image dynamic range, which is not that hard to understand, and average untalented person can still learn in within one day of reading, then you easily know what kind of HDRI map should you search for, when you need to achieve certain lighting setting, and you easily know, how to evaluate assets available on internet and pick the right one.

That HDRI map will not automagically make your rendering looking exactly like rendering of the person you asked for it. There's lot more to that. Mostly it's just hundreds of little workflow details that add up together to create great looking output. And those little details are impossible to implement unless you know the context you are doing. So if some asks me too specific thing, then I usually get impression answering would be just waste of my time, because it would not help the person anyway, as they do not show any intention of trying to understand the context.

Same goes for materials. Particular sequence of settings is not what makes good looking materials. It's knowing the material itself... all the parameters, and all the available maps, and how all these things work in context, what allows you to create great looking materials. Because once you know the context, then you can get truly creative with it, while still not losing grips of knowing what you are doing, and knowing how to get to the exact result you need without getting stuck anywhere.

So to wrap it up... for me, ultimately, it's when the question i get shows some actual amount of interest in the topic, i get a feeling that my answer will actually be worth the time and will help the person who asked it. And these kinds of questions are usually easy to identify based on how specific they are.

Perfectly said! And I believe it all comes to this metaphore I introduced - when you at least try to learn fishing and get a fishing pole, in time you you will become a great fisherman able to fish anywhere and in all kinds of conditions.
If you keep asking for the fish - well there is a certain term for those kind of people, but you'd call me rude again (I'm working on it ! Thanks Juraj for pointing it out :D !)... ;)

2014-10-16, 21:45:47
Reply #18

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

This !

But then again, honestly, here i would probably also ask about the HDRI. Not because i expect it to automatically make me create pictures of the same quality, but simply because the map just looks pretty :)

Here you go ;- )

http://www.cg-source.com/details.php?id=0054-01&pricat=texture
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-10-16, 21:48:15
Reply #19

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

2014-10-16, 21:53:00
Reply #20

londonvisuals

• Active Users
    • View Profile

This !

I have to admit that I didnt quite catch what you ment Juraj :D

2014-10-16, 21:57:18
Reply #21

Coronaut

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ufff, yes it is confusing, i am kinda under some pressure "need to do things this minute" sorry if i was confusing to you.
I do agree with your POV and actually with LV to some extent but he doesn't have to be rude but i understand how frustrating that can be, i always remember one pearl of this community and i will paraphrase that question "How to get cars on the ground?" ahahaha :D Tell me that something like that don't put smile on your face?
And let that be answer to your question.
Photography is not that much to be observed as technical thing it is more subjective then objective so from that point it is somewhat different from 3D, and i will agree with you one more time as helping someone who deserve to be helped is good thing, but that someone could read such shit answer and what then? You will be better ignoring silly question then to go all the way and tell some bad words to someone.
I do think that this is good thing, what is happening right now(this discussion) and like with so many good things they do not choose time or place and they happen spontaneously. LV has apologized and said that he overacted and that is positive so i have nothing bad to say about it right now he is human and everybody can make mistake.
People should help other people especially if it is knowledge! If he doesn't like question he doesn't have to answer it, if someone is asking stupid question that someone will realize it sooner or later when no one answer to it. Then he will maybe try alternative and google-it(not in relation to Italian google :D) and then maybe find out that he needs to learn some basics first etc.
I am just saying that from your or LV POV that is stupid question but from POV of other guy(one that was asking it) he does not even realizing how stupid question is so you do not have to emphasize that, you wouldn't benefit anything, or maybe you do benefit if you tell someone that openly how stupid he is?
And yes people do tend to ask "what lens did you use?" that is most common question man(lens pride you can't wait for someone to pop that question :D) But most of those things you gave as example are already in exif(except standing, even that with geo tagging :D) and i have to disappoint you but all those questions are answered, maybe you are visiting wrong forums.
Creativity is whole another topic here... Asking someone who knows something that you don't is not creative steal, fact!
I can ask you for instance, how did you achieved lighting condition in "place name of any of your work here" and you answer me something like, that you used negative gamma to have sharper shadows, used full spherical sky etc. And you did explain all this so i am using it like example.
So that is directly helping me to realize mistakes i have made and thus making me better artist to some extent. So you are cool guy for helping me and others!
B)You could also ignore question. No one even notice that you have ignore question or maybe it does but fact is that you do not have to explain to other people your decision if that doesn't affect them.
C)Tell me openly how stupid i am for even asking such stupid thing, and be complete dick about it.
Now you should know since you write that tutorial how that is benefiting you, i am sure that someone is dare to ask you to give him whole scene, i am sure someone is unable to replicate same results etc. does that makes you bad teacher(who knows maybe if no one understand it) but sure it doesn't make you bad person. And since the beginning of civilization people tend to steal from other people, that is nothing to be scared about especially if it's naive thing as asking someone to provide you freely... So i am not even sure why i am writing this last bit and why it's even on the topic here? OOOOOOOH i know why cuz people tend to generalize whole situation and say that something like that do only people from "overpopulated countries" India, China... And that is BAD SHIT same as claiming that only black people do crime in America... And telling me that Americans and Europeans are to righteous is BS. I was scammed for money from Americans and Europeans also. And not to mention cradle of piracy Bulgaria that is in Europe, largest and most popular servers for pirated shit is in Scandinavian countries(Europe) so wft? Indian, Chinese no good? Brainwash.com
But since you asked to consolidate my train of thoughts here they are, if you do not like stupid questions, do not answer to them in stupid way or else you will participate in that stupidity if you try to level with the guy answering in stupid manner.
If you want to help someone, help him and do not expect that your picture will be next to pope in Vatican. Lots of people have too much ego, pride or power crave so usually they write "time is money bitch" that doesn't help anyone.
Everyone think for their work that is "up there" but usually doesn't make it so, so if you are the one criticizing in it have that in mind, and you better do somewhat good job or it will sound like you are not confident in your own work if you give vague critique so more or less it is trying to achieve boosting your own work buy trashing work of someone else(and in 99% cases that is the reason) especially on the internet as you will just show how actually pussy you can be.
And i do feel bad when i see that, but hey it is what you get when you have billions of people roaming around internet instead of couple hundred millions 10 years ago... It is kinda tight.
I dno't see where do you get that black and white seeing things? Things i write is part of total randomization it's not even millions shades of grey but billions, but i can't let someone trashing someone and if that makes me seeing black and white then i do not mind, and usually gallery section everywhere and i do mean everywhere on net from FB to Collections on Getty stir up discussion of this type. And that is positive as long as you have civilized type of conversation.
Being scarred is wrong approach and usually creative people tend to build up such things in their heads(i will guess as they are creative even when they tripping :)) And i do not see where is that part of someone stealing from someone else in this topic, but i don't mind conversation on that theme.  Yes he will tell him it is PG hdri and that he has contrast set to 3, that he set EV to 3.5 and HC to 7 BOOO HOOOO he will steal all his glory.

2014-10-16, 22:01:53
Reply #22

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
You seems like the type of guy I would gladly go for beer since I also talk far too much but these essays are horrible to read :- D

But I get you :- )

[regarding myself, I almost think I have condition where I feel bad for not answering stuff, but doesn't mean I am comfortable with it always, there were people who took advantage of me using that, so Veronika is now always pointing at me: "I told you!" :- ) .. ]

This !

I have to admit that I didnt quite catch what you ment Juraj :D

I just agreed to what he said, he formulated it quite nicely. I just shorted the answer :- D
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-10-16, 22:15:28
Reply #23

borisquezadaa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
But... but... the white house are great!.
Could you send scene?.

I'm in a bit of dilema here... never tought about all of this stuff cause i didnt find it usefull i guess, after reading all except those long essays still think the same.

Still loving the images!...
What i do with Corona My Corona post of random stuff rendering
WARNING: English.dll still loading...

2014-10-16, 22:24:55
Reply #24

londonvisuals

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@ Juraj, silly me, thank you :D

@ Coronaut - wait a sec dude, steady your horses ( and I beg you, please use all those diacritics like "." "," :D I managed to get throug your post but it is hard :D) cuz all of a sudden I am under an impression that this conversation is about is LV a d*** or not.

I apologized for being rude I admitted it,  adn I am working on it, and still think my point was absolutely valid - about asking too indepth questions.

And to clarify (not sure if you said i called someone something - it is hard to read your last post so if I am mistaken and you were speaking in generall then sorry) I havent called anyone stupid etc.

Just in case if you or someone else havent noticed I gently suggested to the guy that his questions are a bit too over the border by asking if he developed an automated script for them.

But all of a sudden the guy in very polite yet still obscurous way asks me why I even registered to this forum, generally telling me to gtfo from this forum - that provoked my reaction.

Please dont sidetrack this discussion to debating wether I'm a d*** like you say or not :D ( I know it got dramaticaly sidetracked from the images and for that I am super sorry, but as Coronaut said, those things just happen).

Check this topic for example https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,5450.0.html - after making sure what was the purpose of the model (game/ archvis) and making sure the autor is not trolling (you never know) and really wants to push his skills I gave him directions with a link to great tutoriall to get him started on general topics.

But hey! He didnt asked "what values i need to type in which plaes to get xx effect", he wanted to learn and understand things.

2014-10-16, 23:22:42
Reply #25

Coronaut

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Guys sorry for long posts!
I am speaking generally about how sometimes people tend to trash someone if he is asking something that is to 90% of people here pretty obvious. And that is happening in real life also, but people don't act on that with slapping him in face or spitting(well someone does)...
I do agree with you(i will say this one more time) i know you didn't plan to answer as you did but sometimes well... I don't think you are dick and since we are heaving this conversation that is pretty much confirming you.
And it is no coincidence that 99% of forums have rules marked !!!READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST!!! but no one is reading them and now we are debating about how some people ask stupid questions.
Or something from excellent post Rawalanche wrote, so who are we kidding here. Either accept reality that you will face such person but instead of stupid looks you have in real life and rolling your eyes etc. you have every right to scroll down.
I personally do not have any problem when someone is telling honest opinion as there is people here that are finding long post confusing etc. but there is one occupation who needs to please everyone(no not whore, dirty minds on you :D) actually it is. And if base my thought on that no way i will waste a sec. of my life writing anything just so i could please masses.
But forum is ffs could it be more obvious ...a forum was a gathering place of great social significance, and often the scene of diverse activities, including political discussions and debates, rendezvous, meetings, et cetera...
And if you go out and tell someone in face as i said earlier things you said you can expect anything. And as i do like corona as it is more or less rebellion i do want this forum to become like that(that is why i reacted originally here), and not like battle.net troll faced community, well lets say i have lost Brazil long time ago i don't have to lose this...

2014-10-16, 23:40:34
Reply #26

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
londnonvisuals, i didn't call you pathetic. You asked for opinion and i gave you mine, that's all.
And yes, i didn't read all posts - do not have time for this now. Sorry for that.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2014-10-17, 13:37:53
Reply #27

Stan_But

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/archdizs
Guys!))
We all every times trying to copy from somebody or from something)
And in every times every artist gets different result)
And forever will be those who ask questions)
So what exactly is your problem?)))
If you don't want - don't share your skills. That's all)

2014-10-17, 14:28:04
Reply #28

Alexp

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think the reaction its very exagerated.
The forum its full of great images and great artist, this for example, https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,2028.0.html , for me this post is perfect.
The image looks very nice, and the artist are sharing some relevant "PT+HD Cache PTS 64 MSI 20 LSM 1 HD PT Samples 1024, other settings are at their default values"

For me that post is a 100% usefull. I respect , for sure, if somebody dont want to share the scene.
But Im working in this world of archviz about 16 years and I've seen in this time a lot of images, great images, and a lot of full scenes with all the info inside and I never try to "duplicate" scenes. Some time only for curiosity because a lot of times, with totaly diferents methods, the images looks great.
I made great images with very simple parameters and other times I try to use diferent methods from tutorials and with worst results.

I think the images of our parthner looks very nice, but I think the secret of the succes is not in that direction. A lot of amazing artists at some point are a "suckers" of info and then they want to live inside they hermetic world very scarried to share the info ... I think this is the most stupid thing.

Best regards.

2014-10-17, 14:47:05
Reply #29

Chakib

• Active Users
  • Corona Omnomnomer !
    • View Profile
Guys!))
We all every times trying to copy from somebody or from something)
And in every times every artist gets different result)
And forever will be those who ask questions)
So what exactly is your problem?)))
If you don't want - don't share your skills. That's all)

+1, that reminds me of some guys at the past, they asked me to share one of my MD models& sofa even if i did share some for free, well this time I did refuse and they got pissed and accused me + insults, I was like what the hell with these people? Is it a crime to not share you models for free? also sometimes i share infos and skills about my workflow etc, but i don't want to share sometimes just because simply I don't want to, everyone is free to share or not, polite and hardworking people will understand cause they will find infos anyway with practice and searching or asking other people and they will act the same way too, lazy people who say " please please i want it want now why not now, go folk urself beach !" will always make me laugh.